Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Codename Turbosled - The upcoming blockbuster :) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9857)

kbrown 16-01-2004 11:41 PM

Codename Turbosled - The upcoming blockbuster :)

Yup, this has been a "secret" for a while now. Me and couple of other mods are preparing a little joint project 3D short movie for you guys to enjoy. Originally we wanted it to be ready for the past X-Mas but many things came up and the project got shelved. Now that (mainly) I have "all" the time in the world, the project has been reawaken again.

As we were brainstorming the idea for the animation, NitroLiq finally came up with an idea that was approved by all of us. Based on his synopsis I made a script and a rough storyboard. The synopsis, script, and storyboard will still remain a secret but I can assure it will be hilarious to watch when it is someday hopefully done.

Too bad that many of us are too busy to contribute more time on this but luckily we are not under pressure here. We have set the deadline to next X-Mas so expect no quick results ;).

Under this thread we will be showing bits and pieces of how things are advancing. Feel free to comment and criticize on anything and everything presented here...

Here are couple of test clips of one of the main characters walking and talking:
http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/karppa/temp/...mote_test3.avi
http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/karppa/temp/elfWalkTest3.avi

This thing will have a major part on the animation too (only a rough playblast) :)
EDIT: had to remove 'cause i'm running out of disk space...

Pony 17-01-2004 12:10 AM

LOL funny a bit already.. it all looks pretty good.. the elf's walk seems a bit stiff, sorry I don't know how else to discribe it at the moment.

kbrown 17-01-2004 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pony
LOL funny a bit already.. it all looks pretty good.. the elf's walk seems a bit stiff, sorry I don't know how else to discribe it at the moment.
Would be cool if you could describe it a little more in detail since this is my first rigged walking character in Maya...

Kurt 17-01-2004 12:36 AM

hehehe KB you finally posted it=) Going to be fun to work on=)

kbrown 17-01-2004 12:46 AM

Yup :)

Thought it would be worthwhile to get some outside feedback as well :). Anyway, I'll be in touch soon...

Pony 17-01-2004 01:12 AM

Keep in mind I think its way great the way it is.

This part seems nitpicky to me but you asked for coments.. and this is the only thing that I can see so far so it much be pretty damn good.

Ok I think I see it better, it toke me a little to finger it out. LOL about 12 views. I'm no animation expert. Also keep in mind I might be interpreting things wrong because I don't know much of anything about the story line. (don't want to yet either. LOL) What I was seeing about him being stiff, was he's not really stiff.. it just looks like he's walking like he's stuck up, or he's about to get in to trouble. That all looks good.. but what I was seeing really was his arms,, they look like they swing to much for what the rest of his body is trying to say.. There looking very relaxed and the rest looks tense.. but a good tense because there is some reason. Ether he's walking with a purpose or he's watchful because he's about to get in trouble. or something.. LOL that all looks good, just seams the arms are not conveying the same thing as the rest.

is that a bit better ?

btw after watching it so many times I'm rather amazed at it really.. the body, legs, head all seem to be like perfect.. to me at least. and its funny just watching the couple of seconds of it.

kbrown 17-01-2004 01:33 AM

Thanks Pony,

This was supposed to be his "normal" walk style (he isn't walking around too much in the animation anyway). There is (and has been all the time) something in his arm movement that I don't like either so in that sense your feedback is very valuable. The character is supposed to be a little funny (read cartoonish) and kind of unpredictable so I don't know... I'll do some more tweaking and we'll see...

RickStefani 18-01-2004 03:53 PM

One thing that also stuck out was how great the sound was. The levels were perfect. The elf was a little hard to understand but that was not because of the sound quality.

kbrown 19-01-2004 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RickStefani
One thing that also stuck out was how great the sound was. The levels were perfect. The elf was a little hard to understand but that was not because of the sound quality.
Cool thanks. I am used to do recordings and work with audio software as one of my hobbies is music. Gotta work on my english though (it's my voice with a slight pitch shift) :p

flipfl0p 19-01-2004 03:38 AM

Great job so far, I agree with RickStefani, the sound is definetly what captures my attention. I think your elf character has a lot of personality from what I've seen so far. The sled is really well done, as well as the particle effects. I can't wait to see more progress!!!

Keep it up!

-Flipfl0p

howardporter 19-01-2004 03:02 PM

great work, very inspirational! I cant wait to see more. I love the sled, looks like he will be getting into a bit of trouble with it :D

fredriksson 19-01-2004 11:35 PM

The first time I saw the sledpart I laughed so hard I almost choked on my tea. I imagined the fat elf hanging on for his life dangling with his feet.

LSphinx 19-01-2004 11:42 PM

WoW!!... AWESOME! :eek:
i LOVE it!! :D
more,...:bgreen: more,....:bgreen: more... :bgreen:

Alan 20-01-2004 03:39 PM

could you guys post a quicktime or some screenshots for non windows users please? I really wanna see this! :(

Alan

scopa 20-01-2004 05:37 PM

have you ever played jardinians?