Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Autodesk to Acquire Softimage (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31177)

vladimirjp 22-10-2008 08:29 PM

Autodesk to Acquire Softimage

ouch... autodek saw that maya wouldnt be able to compete with future xsi releases, then boom :) [ jk]

this is a shocker. god damn those shareholder, SI customers have no say in this...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

Gen 22-10-2008 08:46 PM

I've yet to see a case of monopoly turn out to be a good thing. /sigh

Edit: I wonder what the people who ditched Max or Maya to escape Autodesks' dev habits for XSI are saying now ><

mirek03 22-10-2008 08:52 PM

its not a monopoly yet.., theres Houdini, cinema 4D, ect.., i think theres laws against such things and despite its size.., autodesk cant break them.., looks as hough they are giving it their best shot.

rumour is.., $38,000,000 for the buy. thats pretty cheap eh!!

gster123 23-10-2008 12:22 AM

Wowzers!

Didnt see that one coming.

LauriePriest 23-10-2008 02:38 AM

lol, zomg, its definitely a monopoly isnt it really. I mean maya, xsi and 3ds are probably the most frequently used apps.

Madness.

Chirone 23-10-2008 03:45 AM

wait... so....

softimage isn't part of avid anymore??

buh bye nice webpage of softimage.... :(

umm... maybe... just maybe... now importing and exporting things between maya and xsi will keep the skeletons....

wow... autodesk is really trying hard not to get beaten eh?
soon they will have bought zbrush and houdini and cinema3d and...in the off chance... THEY ACQUIRE ADOBE
they are taking over the world...

i wonder why Avid gave it up to Autodesk... isn't Avid like... THE film and tv standard who tell everyone what to use?

gster123 23-10-2008 04:06 AM

In editing Avid rules, its a great bit of kit. XSI is a great bit of kit, though i've never used it, comments and looking at the vids for it it seems great.

People use what they want at the end of the day and maya and max are the dominant force really... Maybe they didnt think it was profitable enough and decided to go to a core business??? Dunno..

Watch out pixologic, though at the end of the day its up to the company to sign on the dotted line.

Jay 23-10-2008 06:51 AM

Ahh what a bummer!

Here we go again, the big whinge because Autodesk have now bought Softimage, so what!

remember when they aquired the rights to Maya and everyone whined about it then, they improved on a Software which was becoming increasingly overtaken by others. Those people are now silent...

Maya and Max have become better and are able to 'share' the workload far easier than before, so by adding XSI to the ingredients, one can only hope the same thing.

If XSI is ruined from the outcome of the aquisition then I'll eat my words but until then let nature take its course. Its not like max and Maya have disappeared off the face of the planet is it?

At the end of the day we all have a choice of what to use, who cares who owns it! Look at it this way, its like buying a different model of car made by one company!

Its all psychological....

Jay

NitroLiq 23-10-2008 07:05 AM

The thing that's confusing is that they own three pieces of kit that basically target the same markets. You could argue that Maya is more for film pipelines and Max is more for gaming and architectural viz...of course the lines become increasingly blurry but add softimage to the mix....aside from giving artists a choice of what software to use and Autodesk reaping the money from it why else would you offer several wares that do the same thing?

I like this line from one of their PDFs:

As well, it is hoped that the acquisition will broaden the appeal of Autodesk products into the hobbyist/game ‘modder’ segment.

I pretty much though max already had that area covered.

Jay 23-10-2008 08:11 AM

Yeah point taken but again its like a buying a car say from VW, all different models but all have an engine and steering etc and get you from A to B, its just that choice of what suits you.

Perhaps with that line from the PDF, they want to expand each software into any area without the constant pidgeon holing of specific software, IE max for game...blah...perhaps they want equal opportunity for the software LOL

Jay

NitroLiq 23-10-2008 08:18 AM

Good point.

"What's the best software out there for 3D?"
"Well, I like the Autodesk stuff". ;)

If they want to blur the lines more, they need to get cracking with chaosgroup on releasing a fully-featured V-Ray with Maya.

Jay 23-10-2008 08:45 AM

Nitro

Yeah Jeez, how long have they been doing that for maya? It seems like forever. As good as MR is for Maya it does need a broader range.

Jay

Gen 23-10-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay
...perhaps they want equal opportunity for the software LOL

Jay

I think its just a case of "Mo moneh, mo moneh. mo moneh, coke parties and $5000 hookers yeah!!"

Jay 23-10-2008 09:15 AM

Well if thats the deal then I'm in!!

Jay

LauriePriest 23-10-2008 10:04 AM

Money is all, eat competition yummy yummy. I do think it will ultimiately be fine, whatever happens we will have a toolset to make sexy work.