Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Battle Arena (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Weekend Challenge! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37075)

stwert 14-01-2012 02:58 AM

Weekend Challenge!

Hey all... got a bit of time this weekend, after finishing a major illustrator piece. Anyone want to bring it? Doesn't matter what it is, or what modules of maya are involved. Deadline is Monday at midnight, Eastern time, cause I don't have classes on monday (I don't think :P). And the robot challenge (which was awesome to watch) I think is done too. So there's no excuses. 1-on-1 or multiple people can join. Winner gets to post a somewhat finished image somewhere and brag. Loser gets to post a less finished image somewhere.

Edit: I haven't gotten my chops into Maya in quite a while, so I should be easy prey --> :playfull: (I'm the blue one)

bullet1968 14-01-2012 03:02 AM

I would love to mate but after the cyclone I have lost a few days and have to catch up on real world thingys LOL....will be watching though if you get a bite

cheers bullet

StarsAdmirer 14-01-2012 06:08 AM

I would love to do it, but I'm a beginner so I'll watch. :cool:
I hope someone faces you :happy:

daverave 14-01-2012 01:59 PM

I would Stwert but I really have to finish that tanks UVs nearly there...........dave

Nilla 14-01-2012 03:31 PM

Here's a challenge suggestion that everyone can follow and it should only take a few hours to complete. Creating a simple object with studio lighting in Maya, Daveido posted a tutorial on it in his challenge thread which you could follow along with I liked it because it starts off with what it is and how it works in photography, there's other similar tutorials on this as well.

And you could either restrict it to certain objects (for example follow Jay's free glass jug tutorial and then do a render of that with studio lighting), pick some simple models like the screwdriver from the resources section and work on a nice composition, or make your own comp with two glasses and a jug or anything you want. The materials could be glass, porcelain, metals and if you wanted you could make a short sim of dropping rings or spheres into a bowl or onto the floor (Dave's free tutorial on object placement would cover it).

But the theme could be simple object studio lighting in Maya which is a good way to get started with lighting and I remember you just got a book on the topic so any takers for that?

Studio Lighting in Maya 2011 with Mental Ray - YouTube

stwert 14-01-2012 04:21 PM

That sounds good to me, if anyone else is interested. Haven't got my book yet, still shipping :(

stwert 14-01-2012 09:06 PM

Oh well... worth a shot. I'm digging into C4D at the moment... it's got some interesting stuff going on.

Chirone 15-03-2012 10:25 PM

I may have some bits of time to spare for a small challenge.

stwert 15-03-2012 10:39 PM

Sorry, the next month will be pretty intense for me, can't challenge you this weekend. Hopefully you get a few takers and can start a challenge thread.