Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   why? instead of how..... (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10436)

Scorp2778 15-02-2004 06:41 PM

why? instead of how.....

Hello to anyone reading this.....

My question is are there any resources out there that explain the why's of all the options and different techniques to accomplish creation? I dont have an exact example, but there are many times when i see that something can be done multiple ways but the book i am starting to teach myself with doesnt tell me why you would choose one or the other...

I am going through Learning Maya Foundation ATM. I went through and did all the modeling in the book except the last project and then i started over and redid all the lesson with the animation included. It helped the second time through understanding some of the concepts behind the program. I am learning the how to of maya just fine. I also want to learn the why of maya as well and the book isnt much help in that department. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated. ;)

One other question i have is what is a good animation compiling software?

mtmckinley 15-02-2004 06:55 PM

usually when something can be done multiple ways, there really isn't any particular reason NOT to use one method over another... it's mostly a matter of preference. A book tells you there are multiple methods, but usually books don't have the page space to teach you all of them and it chooses one to use and goes with it.

iron_tick 15-02-2004 06:59 PM

Why, why? ask instead, when. Everything in maya has its place. Just need to know when to use it not why. and the only thing that will tell you when is experience.

I think you mean compositing software not compiling. composting is used for overlaying or rotoscoping 3d into 2d.

Scorp2778 15-02-2004 07:25 PM

Well what i want is to get the hardware rendered/software rendered stuff into the same animation. I was in the first lesson in the book. Its the one with the ball bouncing through the flaming ring. The particle effects were hardware rendered with the rest of the scene was software rendered. Only tells me at the end you can now use your compositing software to layer the elements together. doesnt say how to do it so i just figured you couldnt in maya. Is there a way in maya to bring the software rendered animation together with the hardware?

mtmckinley 15-02-2004 07:27 PM

not that I know of.

Scorp2778 15-02-2004 07:33 PM

One other question i have is when creating something, why would you choose a nurb or a polygon? I asked my bro in law and this was the answer i got. he said that in a real time rendering scenario polygons render faster than nurbs do. He also said that more detail could be put into a nurbs object or something along those lines. Just wanted more clarification on this subject.

mtmckinley 15-02-2004 07:38 PM

in my own work, whether for games or not, polygons suit my needs 99% of the time. Mostly because I prefer them to Nurbs in almost every case. Of course, there are others who like to use Nurbs, and so on. Again, much of it is due to personal preference. You can literally build anything out of either polys or nurbs. Some ways are easier than others, depending on the person.

Scorp2778 15-02-2004 07:44 PM

Ok, was thinking that a little but i wasnt positive. I prefer polygon modeling over nurbs. Got one more question then i will stop bugging you for a bit :p Its not really about maya though. Thing is i had an accident when i was a little kid and had to learn to do everything left handed for the most part. My drawing ability isnt that good, but i love 3D design and i have the ideas in my head and can get them out on a computer just fine. Well atleast i was able to in photoshop. Dont know maya well enough yet to really utilize it alot. Anyways, will the lack of drawing skills i have have a seriously negative impact on me getting in the 3D design fields. Most i would like to get into gaming.

mtmckinley 15-02-2004 07:49 PM

drawing definitely helps. Not everyone is a great drawer, though. I don't consider myself a great 2d artist.

dirack 16-02-2004 05:34 PM

Mike: Your comic rocks though ;) :D :D BTW the smileys are worse then the previous ones..

Saiyan 17-02-2004 11:57 PM

Scorp2778.....don't worry about all this stuff.....it will get in the way of your creativity.....Using Maya is a journey not a race....take it slow, try different ways.

If there was only one way to do everything....where would the creativity come from?...

Don't worry about your drawing ability....most of the time it's drafts anyway....and it sounds like you can add detail while working within Maya.....so I think you'll be fine.....

mascal 18-02-2004 07:56 AM

I completely agree with Saiyan! The only way to know what is the right technique (for you) i to keep trying. It's a matter of experience and experience takes time to gather!

Never limit your creativity and never worry about bad drawings.

When you wish to create an effect, try whatever you can think, even if it seems a nonsense.

And finally, remember to also think 2D... Many great effects can be made very simple using composition and could be very hard (or long) to create in a single 3D scene.

Bye!!

Scorp2778 20-02-2004 09:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. It is helping me. As i go through the book i am not really doing what they say. I am using the same technique and adding my own flavor to it. As i am doing this i am actually grasping the concepts behind the tools better than when i was just following the books directions. Just wanted to say thanks.

Pony 21-02-2004 01:45 AM

Scorp, not pressing art on you at all. But being left handed is actually better for art. Just a note to not let weird stigmatism tell you who you are.

Scorp2778 21-02-2004 02:20 AM

Well the thing is pony i am origianlly right handed. Had to switch and learn everything with my left. I also a bit of a perfectionist and the mental picture i have and the physical picture dont much look the same. hehe. I dont let anyone tell me who i am:) No fun in that.