Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Rener Error (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22107)

oldhippie_tom 25-06-2006 04:14 PM

Rener Error

Good morning. I am doing the tutorial on Texturing the Haunted House. I am getting this error on what appears to be every object in the scene. It says please assign it to a shading group, but not sure on how to do that. Here is the error I am getting:

"pPlane3|polySurfaceShape1 has no shading group associated with it. This means that it will not be rendered. Please assign it to a shading group."

Is it possible that someone can help me assign them to a shading group. I have the all set up with shaders (4 shaders total with bumpmaps).

The scene looks good when it is rendered, but certainly not like the coloring or texture of what I am applying. Tell me if I am over my head, but I have come some far with this Haunted House. :-)

Thanks,
Tom

Falott 26-06-2006 01:16 PM

to have your object rendered it must be connected to a shader. your object is not connected to a shader. if you hit 6 the obj should be green. open the hypershade and drag a shader onto your object. then render again.

oldhippie_tom 26-06-2006 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Falott. I am sending a picture of what my Hypershade looks like and what the graph network shows for one of my Materials. All of the materials look similar in the connections you see. And I am sending a render of the house so far. It appears that all is rendering well. But get that error list that is as long as your arm.

Falott that you for taking the time to respond and if not too much trouble and you have time to look at the pictures I would be grateful.

It appears I can only attatch one picture, so I will send a secnd reply with 2nd picture.

Thanks!!
Tom

"Man is technologies willing slave. Someday it will kill him!"

oldhippie_tom 26-06-2006 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the picture of the render I get. I still have along way to go. And your advice is alot of help.

Falott 26-06-2006 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just don´t give up and you succeed. one thing which makes geometric shapes look plane and unrealistic is when 2 faces meet without extra subdivision. this was the first thing I saw in your rendering. try to bevel hard edges whenever possible or smooth them in any other way. I´ll give you an example of what I mean. those are some shapes with hard edges. the first two are flat. 3 and 4 are beveled. you can see a slight difference - whereas the first ones appear to be flat, the beveled geometry has some kind of realistic volume. in addition I added an occlusionPass (white renders). it is some kind of a dirtMap which pushes the shadows in areas where light is usually vanishing in a diffuse way. in real life you have allmost never a clean edge like you easily create within an §D package. not even jewels which have very sharp edges are that crisp like in a 3D program.

and I tell you what. in case you bevel all your wooden planks from roof to bottom, you´ll experience a great enhencement of interaction of light and shadows with your house.

oldhippie_tom 26-06-2006 10:15 PM

Very nice idea!!! YES!! This is the first model I have built and the idea of beveling, especially for the planks, will be good. One question pops to mind and it is should I model separate planks, or can I indent some vertices along the plane to give that effect? See I am just reaching now, but you have sparked me and I will find an answer.

In 1979 I went into a Radio Shack and saw a Tandy computer run in a loop and print from 1 to 10000 in DOS. It was like the heavens opened up "I LIKE THAT STUFF!!". Wish they would have had these when I went to school.

Thanks so much for your help. And if you see anything else, let me know. And the pictures were very good in showing your point.

Major Tom 'Space Cowboy'

Falott 26-06-2006 10:56 PM

ground control to major tom, take your protein pills and put your helmets on.

you can model them separately, don´t have to many of them here anyways. or else you create a big plane, extrude, bevel and texture the whole thing. that´s a personal decision I guess.

if some other questions pop into your mind, you´re welcome.

edit --

i was born in 1978. and I wished my parents had bought me a PC when I was a kid or a teen or whatever...

oldhippie_tom 27-06-2006 12:01 AM

HaHaHa!!! Very good you remember it (David Bowie). You say you were born in 1978. I was 31 and, and still having fun. It is so very fascinating what these things can do. Like a giant erector set and you can build whatever you want. Truly amazing stuff.

I have searched think I have an answer for the planks. You have mention sub division surfaces. I did have a clue. But have done some checking and you have given me many hour of fun? Yes it is fun. I will study on them and see how it comes out.

It has been interesting Falott, not to mention informative.

Thanks again!!!!!

Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll

Falott 27-06-2006 06:33 AM

alltho we model in first (polygonal) and rudimentary level, maya does tesselate it for you in rendertime - if you tell maya so. you can create the most complex and smoothest geometries, tho with sharp edges. think of maya like an alien with a brain twice as big as yours. it transforms your basic creations limited by human abilities into a ridiculous higher level of detail. but you have to conduct the machine into right direction. I´m currently working on digital SEM shots for TV. it is a ridiculous amount of detail and I´ll never be able to build all faces out of my own powers - except when modeling a year. but after setting up a basic structure maya lifted it to the 2nd and third level of detail by the power of subdivision, which gave me a polycound of bout 200.000. beveling also means subdividing the geometry.

use the force of subdivision, but you have to channel the basics in the right ways. with a reasonable amount of faces built on your own maya makes it hyperrealistic for you - or look like crap if the basic structure isn´t laid out well.

the idea of subdivision is fundamental within 3D.

oldhippie_tom 27-06-2006 11:26 AM

Good morning Falott!! You have certainly given me something to keep me busy for some time. I had just seen pictures of people using Sub D, but mainly in hand and body part tutorials. I have looked at many articles and tutorials since you mentioned the beveling and sub D. I have fooled around alittle since and certainly am very pleased with just how the beveling helps. This is, again, my first model and this Haunted House is going to turn into quite a project. I do like attention to detail and seems that DETAIL is something sub D does very, very well.

Well I will get back to my learning and enjoying. Thanks for the guidance and conversation. I would be interested in seeing some of your work, if that becomes possible. Seems that you do enjoy what you do and that is special. Most just DO to survive and others DO because it pleases them and satisfies a side of them. You are lucky to have that opportunity.

Have a good day and thanks so much!!!!

Falott 27-06-2006 04:21 PM

ok buddy, there´s nothing to thank about from now on. it is fun for me to make conversation in english, cause my english is not the best as you may have noticed. so keep it like this - you just ask when having a problem and I make conversation, ok?

I´ve not posted much from my work in the last time, cause work keeps me pretty busy. but you can find old threads from me called humanModeling. I think there´s part I and II as well. use the search option from this site.

and to tell about beginning projects. one of my first wip kept me struggling bout a year. I learned much about modeling, rigging and some animation with it. think it´s partII.

see ya!

mmoore5553 27-06-2006 05:23 PM

wow fallot thanks for posting how to get to your old work really love the human modeling ..also did you order the dvd ? i am thinking about it ..i never tried human at all would like to but alias ..havent. ..is it that good ..didnt mean to interrupt at all ...

Falott 27-06-2006 05:36 PM

I´d very much advice you to watch dvds as its the media which works best - for me at least. but don´t make a haste. if you are at the very beginning just get an understanding of basics befor moving on to complex organic forms. but.. I started with humans too, so it´s your choice :) but I can tell, if I had done more houses and such it hadn´t take me so long to get a good feel for working with geometry in 3D space.

mmoore5553 27-06-2006 06:04 PM

well I have done three projects ..first one never completed lol ..second one is kurt dragon

http://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...adid=22004agon project ...

and now working on the little frog ..just looks like a good dvd and loved watching you work ..your model turned out really good ... thanks for all the tips in your thread ...i like organic ...houses and stuff just not too big for me lol animals and humans when I am good enough ...

by chance ..you selling your copy at lower price hahha sorry always have to make a deal lol

Falott 27-06-2006 06:35 PM

sorry mate, guess I have to disappoint you. this model is unsalable. maybe somtime I´ll put together some templates and put them on a website.