Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Animation (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   help with animations (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29873)

ulaoulao 14-05-2008 08:23 PM

help with animations

Animation has always been something I could do well, but that goes back 10 years.. 3D animation are a bit new to me. If my question is more suitable in newbies forum please let me know.

Ok I have my rigging done, FBIK and all the IKs needed to pose my character. I notice some weirdness. Let me know if this is normal or a sign of something?

1) Sometimes when I do an undo during animation one or more meshes explode. I just load a pre-set pose I made and its ok. ( no major concern)

2) If I load my stand pose and key all IK's on say frame 1, then the same pose on frame 20. Then on frame 10 I move say just my arm up a bit (not much). I get a smooth transition up, then a very slow transition down, and the last frame tries to catchup and make a jump animation (bad noticeable jump).

3) Sometimes if I move my IK up from frame 1 to 10 then down on frame 10 to 20, it does some extra animations like the arm is waving about?

I think what causes 3, is that I have to concatenate my animations. I need to do this for the game engine I use my models for. I'm thinking the animations I'm making is tweening for the next animation down the line. Is there a way to separate my animation on the time line so it was try to auto tween it?

I'm sure all of this is just my own misunderstanding. I can not for the life of my figure out that dope sheet or graph editor. Tutorial suggestions would be grate. only training I had was in modeling, I have been learning to rig over the past 3 years.

Now I need to learn animation.

marlonjohn 19-05-2008 07:06 PM

With number two, have you tried smoothing out the tangents in the graph editor for that animation key fame so that you do not appear with a hickup in the animation

ulaoulao 19-05-2008 07:53 PM

That is sort of what i wanted to do , however I didnt get to animation in my maya training and for the life of me i can figure out how to do this in the graph editor.

For example I can find the jagged line but none of the tools up above are labeled to do anything? How do you stretch and pull a line?

UPDATE::

Ok I found the middle mouse button was the trick and was able to make it smoother, thx. Number 2 is understood. And this should help me understand 3. I guess one is just something i'll live with.

marlonjohn 04-06-2008 07:24 PM

Cool glad it worked :)

Sorry about not replying early to tell you what key too use, been abit busy :p

With number one, have you tried just restarting the timeline by going back to frame one to see if it all goes back to normal once the meshes go kind of exploded/wierd

ulaoulao 04-06-2008 09:28 PM

Oh thats ok, we all have lives out of cyberspace.

Yes ihave only reloading a pose fixes it. Other modelers say it happens to them too. I know a guy thats uses max and he said that just happens. : ? i dont know, i'm new to it all ? :