Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   mental ray question (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26389)

Rhetoric Camel 25-05-2007 01:13 PM

mental ray question

Why does it render with these round specs of light on the front like this?

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7...uestionsu4.jpg

I'm don't know much about mental ray so I'm including everything I have changed or may have changed. Hopefully this is helpful for you to help me out.

Render Global Settings

Ray Tracing: On
Reflections: 2
Refractions: 2
Max Trace Depth: 4
Shadow Trace Depth: 2
Scanline: On
Faces: Both

Global Illumination: On
Global Illum Accuracy: 200
Global Illum Radius: 2.00
Global Illum Scale: White
Photon Volume Accuracy: 64
Photon Volume Radius: 0
Max Photon Depth: 5
Rebuild Photon Map: Check
Max Reflection Photons: 5
Max Refraction Photons: 5

Two Spotlights, no decay
Main Spotlight
Emit Photons: Check
Photon Intensity: 24000
Exponent: 1
Global Illum Photons: 1000

Second Spotlight
Emit Photons: Check
Photon Intensity: 16000
Exponent: 1

vladimirjp 25-05-2007 01:31 PM

i would increase to like a million

Rhetoric Camel 25-05-2007 02:46 PM

I turned it up to 1000000 and it got rid of the problem, but other than that I don't see much of a difference and it turned my 40 second render time into a 45 minute render time. Is there really a need for it to be up that high on both lights?

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9...uestionex3.jpg
I even forgot to do a poly smooth on it before the render. Thats alright I'm lacking in colors for the lights, interior, and tires

thanks for the help vlad... any other tips to make this car render look better I'm all ears.

publicFunction 25-05-2007 11:19 PM

Turn off Caustics, and just leave GI in place.

Rhetoric Camel 29-05-2007 08:15 PM

I never turned caustics on, thanks though.

ctbram 30-05-2007 03:04 AM

You could try final render stage-2.

Or you could try to actually figure out how to set the 8 bazillion properties of mental ray. I would recommend first getting a 15 year phd in pan-hyper-dimensional-quantum-photonic-light-physics that could help to understand the settings (a little). lol

Sorry to be making jokes but I have recently been struggling with mental ray and man that package really drives me insane. There are no useful guides to workflow and help files in maya are useless. They read like a poorly translated japanese to english stereo manual.

I have paid for a couple of tutorials and they were not much help. The instructor seems to randomly pull values out of his butt and does nothing to explain what they do and why. As an example at one of my favorite lessons he says and I quote ...to use this option you will have to make quite large changes in the antialieas settings... and then he proceeds to change the value from 0 to 1. Hmmm his definition of "very large" and mine are quite different. It would seem to me that moving from 0 to 1 is the smallest possible unit of change you can make! To make things worse the change made the render go from 7 seconds to 45 seconds.

To me mental ray is too complicated and with no users guide that explains workflow it's almost mystical as to how it works. I have seen stuff done in vray and have fiddled with a trial version of final render and they both seem more intuitive to use.

Rhetoric Camel 30-05-2007 07:53 PM

yeah mental ray is a pain right in the ass. I've been using maxwell 1.1 and it seems pretty good, I just hate the render times, but then again mr wasn't rendering any faster when I boosted up the photons.

Funky Bunnies 31-05-2007 02:21 AM

MR's many settings can be nice actually. You can increase the photon size and then the filter so that the samples are blurred together. Really it's all about the tweaking.

publicFunction 31-05-2007 03:31 AM

Mental Ray is fantastic, its just very dificult to set up and use. It just takes time and practice. I refuse to use Maxwell due to a couple of things.

Does not work directly in Maya (MR does)
The render times are rediculus

Try Renderman better renders and 1000x faster.

gster123 31-05-2007 04:32 AM

If you spend a little time with MR you can get some great results with it for quite a small render time, for example the guitar that I did was rendering a frame in 20 mins, Once you get the hang of what the settings do you can get going pretty fast.

The more photons that you add to the scene the longer the render time, I doubt that it would get to the render times of Maxwell though.

End of the day it does take a bit of fiddeling to get the render looking nice, but its worth it.

Rhetoric Camel 01-06-2007 10:08 AM

alright thanks for all the help, I'll be giving mental ray more of a chance. I have some tutorials that I'll be checking out to kind of get the feel of it and from there just tweek. I feel like I'm always tweeking things, if it's not geometry, it's rendering, and if it's not either one of those then I'm tweeking colors in photoshop. Thanks again for all the help!