Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Nov/Dec - Norm - Yamaha Roadstar (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19122)

dilberts 17-11-2005 05:31 AM

Nov/Dec - Norm - dilberts

1 Attachment(s)
I've been posting in the work in progress forum for a few months now, and never even saw this challenge deal. Well I decided to enter with my Yamaha Roadstar that I've been posting in the WIP forum. As you can see from the WIP forum, I started this model on the 13th of November, so I think I still qualify for entry. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to get it finished in time, but I'll give it a go. The engine's going to be the hard part.

Here's where I'm at so far. All NURBS so far.

One last thing. I know I screwed up the thread title. I tried to edit the post to change the title, but for some reason it doesn't want to update. Anyone know why?

dilberts 17-11-2005 06:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's the real thing

BMS 17-11-2005 07:02 AM

Neil,

I can't wait to see renders of this! Looks GOOD

Cheers
Paul

clopper 17-11-2005 10:24 AM

are you a pro dilberts? You are awesome, do you convert to subds as you go? How did you get all the tiny holes in the wheel? Booleans?
Where have you learnt from, What has been your path to this amazing work?

joed8349 17-11-2005 06:12 PM

The motorcycle is looking nice.

I think you need to PM a Moderator in order for them to change the title of your thread. I don't know if it matters much though.

gster123 17-11-2005 06:13 PM

Looking forward to this!!

dilberts 17-11-2005 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clopper, so far it's all NURBS, so all the holes or rounded edges you see are either trimmed surfaces or fillets. Here's another pic that demonstrates the use of NURBS a little better.

An example is the hexagonal bolts which are really easy with NURBS. Just make a NURBS circle with 12 spans, then select every other CV around the surface and rotate them until you have a hexagonal shape with nice rounded corners. Then duplicate it, move the duplicate, and loft between the two. Finally, create a NURBS plane and intersect it with the lofted surface (this will be the bolt top), and then do a circular fillet between the lofted surface and the plane (make sure "create curve on surface" is checked so you can trim off the unneeded edges). Voila you have a nice looking nut, with rounded edges, all in about 30 seconds.

I'm no pro, just a hobbyist for now.

dilberts 18-11-2005 02:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the hand grips so far

dilberts 18-11-2005 06:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update

dilberts 18-11-2005 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more

t1ck135 18-11-2005 08:29 AM

nice detail, if you can get it finished then this will look very realistic (texturing permitting), keep it up :)

dilberts 19-11-2005 03:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Latest render. I had to model a second hand grip as the left one is different to the right in real life :angery: I confess, I did consider just mirror copying, but this one is going to be as accurate as possible.

magicsy 19-11-2005 08:34 AM

really great modeling hope i can be this good some day.
good luck in the comp!

dilberts 20-11-2005 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's where I'm at with the engine. This engine is turning out to be the hardest modeling I've ever tried. The heatsink was a nightmare to model, and there's still a ton of nuts and sticky out bits to model.

I've got the same thread going in the WIP forum. The reason is, I only noticed the challenge forum this week, so there's probably others out there like me. Hope the admin guys don't mind.

papalatistudios 21-11-2005 03:37 AM

Nice Progress