Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Who works in the 3d industry? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21523)

bcrichplayer 15-05-2006 07:19 AM

Who works in the 3d industry?

I was just wondering who here works in the 3d animation industry or who just does it as a general interest kind of thing.

Jay 15-05-2006 12:22 PM

I dont do animation but Im in the 3d industry and I do it for freelance and personal use as well. Just addicted really....

Jay

daffas 16-05-2006 12:32 AM

i want to do it for a 3d industry, and free lance

dannyngan 16-05-2006 05:31 PM

I going on 8 years as an animator in the game industry. I'm starting to feel old now. :p

Dragon013 17-05-2006 03:02 PM

yeha

i would love to work anyware in the game industry even if its just making cups of T currently unemployed . :(

:headbang: :confused:

Dragon013

bcrichplayer 17-05-2006 05:10 PM

dannyngan
Just wondering how you first entered the game/animation industry.eg qualifications, amount of jobs around(background stuff)

Masteryoda 17-05-2006 07:04 PM

Aiming to be oneday working with a movies studio as a modeller...I hope one day it will...planning to be a freelancer once I'm better than i am now.

pbman 17-05-2006 07:13 PM

student - hopin to go uni in next few yrs and wana job either in movies or tv as a modeller
im not picky but id rather film

Rostoons 17-05-2006 07:41 PM

Student - finishing degree in june

Hoping to get a job for an animation studio, games or films (I have a preferance for films but the current level of game animation means the two are not that far apart).

dannyngan 17-05-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bcrichplayer
dannyngan
Just wondering how you first entered the game/animation industry.eg qualifications, amount of jobs around(background stuff)

I studied animation and design in college, applied for a job at a local game company after I graduated, and got hired the same day I did the interview. I spent most of my college career studing and practicing traditional hand-drawn animation, stop-motion animation, graphic design, and video production. Lots of non-computer work.

I didn't really do any 3D work until my last couple of years of school, and, even then, it was mostly on my own time. I already had background in traditional and stop-motion animation, so the transition to 3D character animation didn't take me long at all. Plus, back in the mid-1990s, 3D software wasn't too terribly complex compared to today's versions, so it didn't take nearly as long to learn how to use software.

I also had several friends already working in the game industry, so they put in some good recommendations for me. That really helped me in getting my first job.

mtmckinley 17-05-2006 08:20 PM

Been an artist in the game industry for about 3 years now. My current position (of the last 2 months or so) is thanks to Danny's recomendation! :) Thanks, buddy!

bcrichplayer 18-05-2006 07:48 AM

Thanks for the info guys, its been great to hear how people get into this business, although I wouldnt suspect its an easy industry to get into due to the amount of jobs out there. Maybe I'll look into it in the future.

Currentley studying graphic design myself and overloaded with work.:shakehead

lisa_gonzalez 18-05-2006 08:51 AM

I was a matchmove artist, then a lead matchmove artist at MPC, now I'm a modeller. I've been at MPC for about 20 months, and I've got a degree in Computer Animation.

When I was at college I wanted to go into graphic design or product design, but stumbled across my degree in a Uni prospectus and never looked back!

farbtopf 18-05-2006 08:51 AM

I'm illustration student finishing next year, and..... well we'll se were I'll be going. Should be some moving image thing since I am not really doing any illustration work.
One thing I find really annoying about work/work placement is that it doesn't really matter how good you are as long as you know a lot of people. (This is not against danny or mckineley If someone deserves recommendation there's nothing wrong with it) There are just way to many lazy people in my uni whose work is crap. Regardless knowing "the right people" will evnetually get them a good job. That sucks.

farbtopf 18-05-2006 08:51 AM

one more question,
dannyngan do you think that it is helpful to know traditional animation before starting with 3d, cause I'm starting an evening class in 2d, actually today, and some people actually laughed at me. Im not fuzzed about that but just wanted to know if it helped you.

cheers