Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Maya´s Performance, Graphicscard too slow?? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8000)

Joff 18-09-2003 05:38 PM

Maya

Hi,

yess i´ve bought a new CRT and now 1600x1200.. yes great :D BUT Maya runs like on a Pentium 200 Machine. It impossible to move an object in maximized viewplane, even in wireframe mode :mad: it nees about 5 seconds to move, and 2 seconds between each frame until its moved where i want the object to be. In 4 Plane view its the same :( 1280x1024 is just running fine (ok experiencing some problems with maximized Persp Viewplane when i´ve used 4Plane view ahead, need to switch to single persp view, then it runs smooth)

My Configuration
AMD 1333
512 Ram
Geforce 2

I need a new computer :D But what, can someone recommend me a graphicscard for maya which is capable of giving me some gaming performance too :D Like a Radeon 9700?? I don´t know :) And Pentium 4 or AMD 64/Athlon XP?

Please help, its no fun to "work" this way in maya :(

[icarus_uk] 18-09-2003 06:40 PM

Get a new graphics card, quick! A geforce2 card is about as good at running maya as my dishwasher is!

KW00 18-09-2003 07:08 PM

AMMMMMMMM

hi :bgreen:

My PC Pentium 1.700 ,, 512 RAM ,, Display adapters ATI 64MB ..

i used XP PRO and Maya 5.0 version

all okey .

i think u need format ur pc and dont use alot programs .

thanks

Joff 18-09-2003 07:15 PM

It IS fresh formatted.. allright.. its a temporary system because i want to test windows 2003 so my XP is not "optimized" but i´ve experienced always some probs with my graphics, for example, if i work for over 5 or 10 hours, the thumbs in hypershade for the materials and the text below the mats, are just plain gray, can´t see anything, same with multilister and so on :P I´ve read somewhere that GeForce (2?) Cards are not the best choice for maya :P Oh, yes, the only prog i use simultan is photoshop :)

dragonfx 18-09-2003 08:15 PM

gef2(ti) are not the best choice, but they pack a very slightly less punch than gefx5200 in terms of ability to move polys (and if you overclok it slightly like mines they pack exacly the same punch...and are stable...) so somethings wrong with your config...

adldesigner 18-09-2003 08:20 PM

Lol dude .. how about 933 Mhz 128 MBs RAm .. no 3d accel.
That one would be mine. :p

Zyk0tiK 18-09-2003 08:53 PM

I think some primitive cards handle maya quite well, my Kyro 2 (HAHAHAHHA) handles maya very well.

aldudeau 18-09-2003 11:12 PM

well geforce 2 arent that bad. i had one till about a week ago and it run pretty good. of course it did start to frame and jerk at heavy models but overall it was quite good.

Joff 18-09-2003 11:28 PM

@DragonFX:
How do you configure your card? :) My GF2 was always reliable, i don´t want to buy a card if i don´t have to :D I´ll do a complete reinstall right NOW, please tell me something about your config :)

dragonfx 20-09-2003 01:04 AM

well in mi case its a winfast gef2Ti, and it came with a little app that allows you to change the clockspeed at wich the core and ram run... you install latest nvidia drivers, then install it... then get winXP telling you every time you start that that card isnt supposed to run at those speeds, would you like to return to the defaults? , just ignore him:D... dunno if it would work for another manufacturer card but you can download it from leadtek(search your manufacturer page to see if it has something for ya)

PD.:you should update if you had the money, it only compares on raw muscle (maya for example:)), the GfFX5200 packs directX9 features support and lots of hardware shaders etc... which will enable you to play with realtime hardware render shaders and games etc... i would buy a more mid range one like the 5600 or 9700 tough...

cujo 20-09-2003 08:06 AM

This has worked for me before...
go to to the card setting> trouble shooting and
turn off all accelerations before running maya
it should transfer the load to your processor.

or if you have a solder gun and 10 minutes
you can turn it into a quadro

or get a new card
Joe

orgeeizm 20-09-2003 09:01 PM

I ran into thsi problem before with my friend wondering why his maya is so slow rotating crap on the view after he installed XP. He has Gf2 as well (all drivers and crap updated btw). we didnt really know how to fix the prob so i gave him my gf3ti500.

Joff 20-09-2003 10:39 PM

Thanks for the info :) Sorry, visited a friend for the weekend, no internet avaiable ;)

-I thought about a 5600 or a 9500/9700 card but i don´t know what´s more suitable for maya (stability, reliability etc) any suggestion or experiences with those cards?

-I´ve tried Softquadro drivers, it´s not the great difference i´ve expected, ok it´s just a software based "i am a quadro" fake.

-Yes, i think the problem´s just with the Geforce 2 GPU :)

gazzamataz 22-09-2003 02:22 PM

Why don't you just mosey on over to the Maya Hardware Qualification List and look at the graphics cards that are compatible with Maya.

http://www.alias.com/eng/support/may...re/index.jhtml

Quote:

There are many cards based on GeForce256, GeForce2, GeForce3 and GeForce4 chipsets. nVidia and Alias|Wavefront do not recommend these cards for use with Maya 4.5 as you may experience various refresh, display and stability problems and inadequate performance.
Soft Quadro-ing your card WILL make it a Quadro since it enables features on the card that are disabled for the GeForce kind. IT WON'T MAKE THE CARD FASTER but you will not suffer from those things shown in the quote above.

Basically a cheap GPU will be usable, but Maya is a power hungry beast and if you want to get the best out of it you need to invest in machines that are fast with plenty of RAM and compatible GPUs.

Joff 22-09-2003 06:19 PM

Thanks for the link but i asked here in the forums because:
The list does not include some infos about Geforce FX GPUs (no Quadro) nor Radeon 9x00 Cards. :(