Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   uv mapping help (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34194)

chilledoutredhead 26-06-2010 11:09 PM

uv mapping help

1 Attachment(s)
hi guys and girls, need help with texturing. i was wondering if there are any techniques to solving the stretched image highlighted in the red circle. the object itself has a planar map projection, and is a polygon with a smoothed mesh!

thanks

bullet1968 27-06-2010 01:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi mate,

I did a quick copy and didnt have any trouble at all? I unfortunately deleted the job..bahahahah..early morning hangover!

Check your UV's are nice and lined up. I did a quick plane then mapped and used the scale and move to line them up. I pick one line then when finish 'shift >' etc etc to move them around.

thats all I can think of

cheers bullet

chilledoutredhead 27-06-2010 11:54 AM

ohh damn that looks good, thanks i shall try scaling it abit more then, maybe my problem is theres more than one image on the plane

bullet1968 27-06-2010 12:19 PM

what do you mean more than 1 image on the plane mate???

cheers bullet

Edit: mine has no thickness...but I could still get the same result

bullet1968 27-06-2010 12:45 PM

Let me know how you go mate??

When you UV I have found unfolding isnt always cool and I found a way to map...takes time but less mucking aroung using/deselecting the expand key on UV's

cheers bullet

Jay 27-06-2010 09:51 PM

Yeah you need to pull the uvs about to get them to work properly. Its not just a case of 'BANG' and the tool does it. Theres a bit of work involved too. Just follow what Bullet has said and it will work out just right.

Jay

chilledoutredhead 27-06-2010 11:36 PM

yea once i delved abit deeper i started pulling the UVs about and sorted out the problem of the stretching :D , but i just need to smooth out all the UVs when i can be bothered to take the time to do so.

Bullet what i meant with more than one image on the plane is that the image of the bank note is repeated. im pretty useless at UV mapping i figure this a good learning curve to figuring it out, now i know to pull them about :D

bullet1968 27-06-2010 11:51 PM

Mate good on ya for havin a crack..well done. Yeh Im new to mapping but it really is a matter of thinking how you go about it. It has a workflow just like the modelling part mate...painful stuff.

I worked (by my little self) a little trick to help the mapping on square/rectangular objects to pull them around in lines (works for circles too).

I posted it in here somewhere?? LOL

Pick ONE line of UV's on the right side of the rectangle..top to bottom then move them to the right a fair bit..scale to line them up. Then use the expand (shift>) keys and you will get the 2nd row highlighted..use 'ctrl' key to DESELECT the first line..move and scale again..just keep repeating the steps until they are straight vert or horiz works either way.

Its a good trick as well when you have UV's really close together...picking a line somewhere and doing the above..saves doing it one by one man!!!

Well done

cheers bullet

P.S if the note has thickness split it horizontally then assign colours to each side..then you can map them OR delete one side..map..duplicate model and duplicate UV..job done