Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Software recommendations (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31418)

23-11-2008 12:41 PM

Software recommendations

Hey guys,

I got a PC and I need some help. First, let me say that this PC is not replacing my Mac. lol Long story short, I know someone that works with computers and I was able to get one for free. It's only temporary, cause I want to use ZB, so once I get a new Mac, I'll probably get rid of the PC.

Anyway, I'm looking for a site that has PC software, and lists recommendations for programs that are alike. For Mac apps, I just use MacUpdate or iUseThis, but for PC, it seems like it's a bit harder to find something like this.

Like, right now I'm looking for some programs that do the same as these:
http://www.dachshundsoftware.com/index.html
Although I've used these programs on other PCs and they do work well, I'm wondering if there are any better ones out there.

-Steven Palmesano

gster123 23-11-2008 03:25 PM

Never used anything like that stuff. And probably wouldent, they just look a bit dodgey.

Your one devoted mac user, think you know my stance on the mac fronts, haha.

Mayaniac 23-11-2008 10:33 PM

More talk about MACs on my forums!?!

... Someone get me my bat ;)

to be honest I don't really know of such a site, but I thought ZBrush for the Mac was already released?

The Architect 24-11-2008 02:20 AM

download.com may be what you are after.

gster123 24-11-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mayaniac
More talk about MACs on my forums!?!

... Someone get me my bat ;)

to be honest I don't really know of such a site, but I thought ZBrush for the Mac was already released?

It is man, just that will apple going over to X86 and dropping the PPC format, the softwares have too, Z's only intel mac so is Maya 09.

Bit of a sickener if you spent a lot of cash on one

05-12-2008 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
Never used anything like that stuff. And probably wouldent, they just look a bit dodgey.

Your one devoted mac user, think you know my stance on the mac fronts, haha.

I think I'll take them off anyway… they're not really helping. lol

Haha, yeah, I like my Mac. My thoughts on PCs are just about the same since the one I have now has crashed about 4-5 times already.

LauriePriest 05-12-2008 03:54 AM

lol, they crash because windows is poo poo, update drivers constantly ... usually fixes alot of crashing issues. I did that with my setup after having a huge spout of bsod for a year or so and it disappeared. Or just use a linux system tis ftw, if a program hangs up then just change to a new desktop and no problems at all :).

I have to say i had many more issues with macs, i found maya / PS unstable on the macs i have used.

gster123 05-12-2008 05:18 AM

I keep toying with linux, but all my rigs are stable as a stable thing on the most advanced stability controler. I cant even think when I last had a crash.

PC's generally crash due to bad programming on the software end, conflicts between then, drivers etc, and as theres loads of cofigs of hardware and software, well you get the picture.

05-12-2008 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LauriePriest
lol, they crash because windows is poo poo, update drivers constantly ... usually fixes alot of crashing issues. I did that with my setup after having a huge spout of bsod for a year or so and it disappeared.
Nice. I tried updating my drivers and now I'm not getting sound and my mouse isn't showing up.

gster123 05-12-2008 05:56 AM

What drivers are you updating, I've never updated a driver at all, and never had a problem.

05-12-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
What drivers are you updating, I've never updated a driver at all, and never had a problem.
… My audio and mouse drivers. lol

Doesn't matter, just took me a couple of hours to fix it. :rolleyes: