Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   THX1138 - Winter Challenge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28069)

THX1138 04-11-2007 09:17 PM

THX1138 - Winter Challenge

Ok, finially decided to enter this one. Thought long and hard on this one, and made shure no one had the same idea as me.

Get ready for it..... Nascar Racing. Going to model a bunch of cars, A driver or 2, race track, stadium, ect..... I'm going for cinema a style presentation ( wide screen ).

Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.

bendingiscool 04-11-2007 11:51 PM

That sounds like it could be a really cool entry, have you thought about what is going to be happening in your scene? Like if they are racing, or a crash or something completely random lol!

Chris

gster123 05-11-2007 01:29 AM

Hey man,

Good to see you in this one, Nice Idea!

marlonjohn 05-11-2007 07:53 PM

Nice idea, good luck. I hope you have enough time to do the cars as i reckon they can eat up all your time.

THX1138 06-11-2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bendingiscool:
have you thought about what is going to be happening in your scene? Like if they are racing
They will be racing in the scene. I have been considering a few options.

1#. From a spectator's point of view in the stands.

2#. From the center of the race track.

3# From another racers perspective.

4#. In front, looking back at all the racers

5#. Looking in the rear view mirror at the racers.

Which one would think might look best?

Quote:

Originally posted by marlonjohn:
Nice idea, good luck. I hope you have enough time to do the cars as i reckon they can eat up all your time.
All the car styles will be the same so all I have to do is just make copies; however, the car textures will be different. Thats where the fun comes in.

Cheers gster123! :beer: I didn't think I could come up with a concept so fast, and since we have over 2 months for this, I just couldn't resist.

RockyMills_01 06-11-2007 12:20 PM

I like the fourth camera position better.
You can have the camera attached to a side mirror, so the shot will show the back side of the car and the other racers behind. I believe this camera shot will beef up the scene's adrenaline factor. As a bonus, how about placing another car that is overtaking in the refection of the camera car's side.
What do you think?
Good Luck :)

THX1138 06-11-2007 06:28 PM

Cheers RockyMills_01 !:beer: I am considering the #4 option myself. The intent was to frame as many of the racers as possible in the shot. On your method, is the camera looking at the mirror, and the viewer see's the reflection?

Funky Bunnies 06-11-2007 06:55 PM

agreed, camera option 4 with maybe a mix of 3 gives you the most freedom for a dynamic composition I think.
I think the mirror idea may be the way to go

THX1138 06-11-2007 07:21 PM

A mix of 3 and 4; Are you suggesting placing the camera in between the cars but still looking on to them?

Funky Bunnies 06-11-2007 07:24 PM

I just meant that the mirror idea is kind of a mix between 3 and 4 in that it's from another racer's point of view, but it's directing you backwards.

THX1138 06-11-2007 07:47 PM

Ok I gotcha. That does look appealing. I will make that option #5.

Anyway, I'm currently looking for concept pics right know. I found a ton of car pics, and the cars should be a breeze to model. Good pics of the stands are not so easy to find.

gster123 06-11-2007 08:22 PM

Its a toughie for the camera posisiton if you ask me, 4 sounds great but might be a bit restrictive in what you can see....

Hmmm think I would wait a little before deciding on that, as your gaterhing ref you'll probably comeaccross many great camera poaitions, or develop where a real camera could not be placed and then go for that one??

THX1138 06-11-2007 10:12 PM

Cheers gster123.:beer: Yeah, i'm going to wait till I have something to work with before I decide on a camera angle. Deciding now would be a mistake.

gster123 06-11-2007 11:29 PM

The obvious movie to watch, if you can bear it, (didnt like it myself hence) would be days of thunder, lots of racing in there and lots of different camera angles to build up tension etc etc.

bendingiscool 07-11-2007 12:38 AM

i reckon no. 3 is a good bet, like through a helmet view, would have like a HUD kind of feel to it. But as others have mentioned, a mix of 3 and 4 could be really cool.

Chris