Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   problem with texture on 2 items (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24577)

blackfmg 11-01-2007 06:27 AM

problem with texture on 2 items

hi i´m Flavio, from Brazil,
sorry to bother you guys with question like this but i´ve tried some forum but no one responded.
I´m a little new in Maya and there a thing that is happening that i dont know how to get out.
when you import an image to a sphere to be its texture, it goes normally. but if i want to do on a second sphere it wont because the second sphere will appear with the texture that i putted on the first one. and if i chage the texture of the second , it will change the first one as well. please help me solve that.
Thank you very Much Bye

gster123 11-01-2007 06:30 AM

Are you creating a new material for each sphere? Sounds like your adding an image file to the default lambert.

blackfmg 11-01-2007 06:33 AM

this is what im doing:
im adding an image to a lambert to be as guide to do a char..
but when i put the lambert to work , he start working for every single nurbs that i do... so evry single 1 comes with the lambert that i do, and if i change to any other it ll change all...

marlonjohn 11-01-2007 06:34 AM

hello flavio and welcome to simplymaya,

i think your just adding a texture to one sphere and changing one of their material/color options which then which then is leading both of them to change, if im on the right track to resolve this issue, do this:

right click on sphere1
go to Materials
Assign new Materials
then choose "lambert"
and so forth choose your texture/picture

then for sphere2 repeat method 1, do not just click on the checked box because you will edit sphere1 if you get what i mean,

marlon

blackfmg 11-01-2007 06:40 AM

i just tryied w/ the right click and assigning new material and it worked, thank you very much for the help.
but let me get this right... every time that i want to change the texture i have to do the right click and everything else?
thanks again

blackfmg 11-01-2007 06:44 AM

is there a way to make it default so everytime i change its texture it ll assign new material automatic? i was following the video of the basic human building, and he did it w/out doing the right click, he just created... thanks again

marlonjohn 11-01-2007 06:47 AM

no problem, always here to help :)

if you want to change your texture/picture for an object because you dont like it, just go to the object which you want to change the texture, just go to the objects attribute editor and click on checked box instead of assigning a new material.

also a tip here, if you want two objects to have the same material, the one without the texture/picture just right click on the object and go,

go to Materials
assign excisting material and find the object's name you want to copy off. if you have trouble just post in here again and i will help out ;)

cheers, marlon

marlonjohn 11-01-2007 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by blackfmg
i was following the video of the basic human building, and he did it w/out doing the right click, he just created... thanks again
hmm thats wierd, ived never really came across that. maybe he could of had a hotkey to assign new material for him :p well i dont know about that though someone might else post and give you the anwser since i dont know, sorry

mj

Mayastatic 11-01-2007 07:10 AM

I think I have an other way for you!
Go to Window- Rendering editors- Hypershade.
There you can make new materials. ( only drag and drop the Material you choosed ( on the left side ) in the upper window. (There is the default lambert too. )
Double click on your new material and you can add some textures or what you want. In that scene you have now different materials for your models.
To texturise you must only drag and drop from the Hypershade window with the middle mouse button to the object in your scene.
That way is better for your workflow. Rename all materials you made( right mousebutton on that material in Hypershade- Rename )