Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   view panel refresh problem (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9854)

scopa 16-01-2004 05:24 PM

view panel refresh problem

Hey all..

I got a GeForceFX 5600 Ultra a few weeks ago, and while it works great on everything else... im having a minor, yet really annoying problem in maya...

The view panels always scramble when I switch from 4view to full screen.

I have read that some other people have this problem, and it does fix itself after playing with timeslider etc... but it seems to me that there should be a better way.

Any suggestions? Is nVidia going to release new drivers to fix this problem?

thanks
scott

Kurt 16-01-2004 05:27 PM

Sound like the video driver try rolling it back.. if not im using driver 41.09 when i use the latst one my screen goes empty when i hit space bar.

ragecgi 16-01-2004 06:21 PM

The "GeForce" line of Nvidia cards is NOT supported at ALL by Maya, per the Hardware guide on Alias' site.
(only the "Quatro" line is qualified).

Alias knows about the viewport refresh issue, and has documented it online, along with some extreme cases of system instability using the GeForce line as well.

HOWEVER, I have a brand new Nvidia FX 5700 Ultra that I got yesterday for my brand new Maya box that I am testing tonight, and I'll let you know if that still happens with my particular drivers.
(I'll post the version # if all is fine when I get home)

If it does happen, I'll post a workaround that I have found is a LOT easier that touching the timeline:)

scopa 19-01-2004 01:03 AM

Thanks for the replys... an easy workaround would be sweet... Im thinking it could be coded into a mel script relativly easily (but im not sure how to do it myself heh...)

Anyway, Im using the 53.03 drivers for my card.

let me know how your test went

ragecgi 19-01-2004 07:24 AM

Yup, it still happens, even using the same driver version as you are:(

So, my simple workaround without touching the timeline is:

1. Press your UP arrow ONCE on your keyboard,
then press the down arrow ONCE.

Works like a charm for me.

The idea is simply a selection change, and that seems to work.
:thumbsup:

Maybe we could have someone in the Mel section write us a simple melscript that invokes the "Invert Selection" command TWICE, thus giving us back our original selection again as well:)

ragecgi 19-01-2004 07:33 AM

Good news about the Hardware particle rendering tho, it is SUPA-FAST!!!!

dannyngan 19-01-2004 07:48 AM

Here ya go:

Code:

$sel = `ls -sl`;
select -cl;
select $sel;

It doesn't invert the selection. Instead, it clears the selection then reselects what you had selected previously. Hopefully it works.

:d

scopa 19-01-2004 10:31 AM

thanks danny!

now, could you have it run the code automatically after enlarging a view window?

something like:

onWindowEnlarge(){

$sel = `ls -sl`;
select -cl;
select $sel;

}

dannyngan 19-01-2004 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Add the attached MEL script to your user script directory (i.e. My Documents/maya/5.0/scripts/). Restart Maya if you have it running. What will happen now is each time you minimize/maximize the viewpanels, the selection will refresh as per the script I posted earlier.

Tech notes for those who care:

panePop.mel is the MEL script that is run each time you hit the space bar to "pop" from multiple viewpanels to a single viewpanel and vice versa. The script is located in the scripts/startup directory of the Maya application directory (i.e. "Program File/AliasWavefront/Maya5.0/scripts/startup/"). All I did was copy panePop.mel to my user scripts directory and then add the 3 lines to save the selection, clear the selection, and reselect the previously select objects. Because user scripts override the application default ones, this customized version of panePop.mel will always run whenever you press the space bar.

ragecgi 20-01-2004 02:26 AM

D U D E!!!

I said it before, and I'll say it again, YOU DA MAN!!!

scopa 20-01-2004 08:40 AM

sweeeeeet!

so, uh, Danny... I hear there is a teaching opening at the UofO for spring term... you interested? :P

dannyngan 20-01-2004 05:49 PM

Hehe, I hear there are a couple of openings this spring. Something about instructors leaving... :p

maya4todd 09-02-2004 03:51 PM

Do I need the other script? Or just the "panePop.mel" script to make it work?

dannyngan 09-02-2004 06:58 PM

You only need panePop.mel.

j3st3r 23-02-2004 03:11 PM

I`m sorry to say, but it doesn`t work at all...
As I`ve experienced, after selecting the camera of the current viewport, it works properly. How can I select (with the paneOp.mel) the current view`s camera?