Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Is it a crutch? Plus questions:) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16158)

twisteddragon33 02-04-2005 06:57 PM

Is it a crutch? Plus questions:)

I generally model in polys' then convert to subd, back and forth untill i get the model where i like. I was told that modeling like that is very limited and people tend to use it as a crutch and i should concentrate more on poly modeling only. Is this true? Or is it a person to person thing. As i feel more confortable modeling in poly then converting.

Now for questions:

I tried to assign a hotkey, one to convert to sub, one to convert back to poly. And i found the convert selected to subd command to hotkey it, but i looked for a long while and could not find the convert selected to poly command. Anyone help with that?

Next, Anyone know if the Yamaha Tutorial will have a texturing tutorial for it later?

vladimirjp 03-04-2005 02:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
actually thats how i like to model myself.
here is a polysubD switch script to toggle back and fourth.

lisa_gonzalez 04-04-2005 08:40 AM

I personally think that its wrong for people to comment on what technique you use to model. You should use whichever method that you feel most comfortable with. Maya provides lots of different ways to model, so why should you not use them?? The only exception I suppose would be if a client specifically asks for a poly model, but you could still convert back and forth between poly and sub'd, then simply provide a poly smooth model in the end (unless there's a poly limit).

As for your question, you could always assign your own hotkey to convert selected to Poly.

Bye for now

LisaG ;)

Alan 04-04-2005 11:33 AM

Quote:

that is very limited and people tend to use it as a crutch
that's absolute crap! who cares how you did the model. if you're doing it for a client and speed is the issue then who cares?! they certainly wont. tell whoever told you this that they are speaking out their ass! ;) the only thing i would say though is that if you want to move on and gain new skills then sticking to what you know could be seen as bad. But again if you're up against it then who cares.

:ninja:
Alan

vladimirjp 04-04-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lisa_gonzalez
I personally think that its wrong for people to comment on what technique you use to model.
LisaG ;)

wtf?

Quote:

Originally posted by
Pure_Morning

tell whoever told you this that they are speaking out their ass!
maybe the person who said that to him found it to be a good way "when speed is the issue and theyre doing it for a client"...

just a matter of preference.

lisa_gonzalez 04-04-2005 02:34 PM

Um, I think you misunderstood me, Vladimirjp. What I meant was who has the right to tell Twisted Dragon that he should concentrate purely on poly modelling, when he clearly feels most comfortable modelling his way, by converting to sub-d's.

Quote:

wtf?
I hate to be rude, but I really dislike the use of this abbrevation, which has been popping up quite a lot recently. We're all entitled to our opinions.

LisaG

twisteddragon33 04-04-2005 04:41 PM

Lisa, I wanted to assign the key to new hotkey, however i cant physically find where it is in the hotkey menu.

My work isnt for a client, just personal use and learning. So is the other persons. I was just checking on peoples views of it.

Just thought i would check.. Why spend 4 hours making a model for personal use in poly when you can make it in 2 hours in subd..

Pony 05-04-2005 01:19 AM

well I can see the viewpoint of it being like a crutch, I find polys more usefull for multiple resons and just saying in them more eficant.. but a crutch sounds like a bad thing.. I don't like the sound of that.. becouse really it don't matter. sometimes being confritable is far more inportant than pure eficancy. You can stay in polys all ya want but if it bums you out your not going to make as good a product.. so in other words, while what they say could be true from a viewpoint, isn't it more inportant what terns your crank ?

mhcannon 05-04-2005 06:18 AM

When it comes to graphics production I am a firm believe in "If you're not cheating, you're not trying." By this I mean what ever method allows you to achieve the desired result in the least amount of time. Called it crutch if you want to, as long as it works for you.

I do encourage experimentation, time permiting, as you may discovering techniques that might be useful in different situations. When your under a deadline is not the time to experiment though.

[Edit] Did you try VladimirJP's script? You can assign the script to a custom shelf for easy access.

lisa_gonzalez 05-04-2005 08:51 AM

Hey twisteddragon.

Under the hotkey editor, at the bottom of the list under categories there is a category called 'user' that you can assign custom commands to your own hotkeys. If you just select the user category, you can enter a name and description for your new hotkey, then input the commands that will run when you press it. The command for convert selected to poly is TesselateSubdivSurface; I think (I tried it out and I think it worked properly). Then just accept the new commands, and assign a new hotkey like normal.

Hope this helps.

LisaG :D

vladimirjp 05-04-2005 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by lisa_gonzalez

I hate to be rude, but I really dislike the use of this
abbrevation, which has been popping up quite a lot recently.

We're all entitled to our opinions.

LisaG

we' re all entitled to our opinions... yet u dislike others opinions when they say wtf....
meh..

Alan 05-04-2005 03:31 PM

lets try to keep it on topic please :D

I think the consensus would be that if you are happy modelling that way then there is no right or wrong way to do it. Use the best tool for the job :) but there's no harm in learning another way of doing things.

:ninja:

Alan