Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Pringles (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27881)

Perfecto 19-10-2007 01:27 AM

Pringles

1 Attachment(s)
I was munching on these when I ran out of things to do on the house project I'm working on so I decided to model the can. Not sure what all I'll do but it was just...sitting there. Lighting needs work I know. Comments and suggestions welcome.

19-10-2007 01:39 AM

One crit, use the limited edition salsa ones, those were the best.
:beer:

Rhetoric Camel 19-10-2007 01:51 AM

the guacamoli (sp?) ones are really good to... but that model is pretty good, now you have something to put on the counter when you do the interior of the house haha

Perfecto 19-10-2007 02:00 AM

Jr. Who: I've never seen those. Man, my loss! I love sala.

Rhetoric Camel: I'll put it on the kitchen counter. I'll see if I can make some chips to put next to the can and a lid. Well, the modeling part will be easy but texturing part will be tricky. I love guacamole too but never tried it as a chip.

Rhetoric Camel 19-10-2007 02:07 AM

if you ever seen the guacamole pringles don't hesitate to buy them, they're pretty good. And I'm not a huge pringles fan.

Perfecto 19-10-2007 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Modeled the chips but still playing around with textures and lighting.

louis56 19-10-2007 07:16 AM

AHAHAHAHAHAH you are so spontaniusly funny in a querky way. Thats why I love ya!!!

It actually looks real too. Also use the salt and vinegar flavour chips. SO GOOD

LauriePriest 19-10-2007 10:38 AM

why?

Perfecto 19-10-2007 11:28 AM

Thanks louis56

LauriePriest: If you're asking why I'm still playing around with the lighting and texturing, it's because I'm a perfectionist and if I feel I have the current skills or abilities to make it better, it will drive me crazy until I do.

The chips are plain right now and need to be touched up to look like barbeque (currently just a ramp with three colors). Also the bump is not quite right. And lastly, the chips look too solid and heavy. I've played around with transparency and translucence on the chips but they're not quite they way I'd like them to be. It might be a good time to get some more experience with sub surface scattering.

DJbLAZER 19-10-2007 04:18 PM

The chips needa much stronger bump for sure, can't really see it at all now. And to get a really realistic look you may have to use SSS or fake SSS.

Perfecto 19-10-2007 04:44 PM

Thanks DJbLAZER, I'll work on applying those suggestions tonight.

LauriePriest 19-10-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Perfecto
Thanks louis56

LauriePriest: If you're asking why I'm still playing around with the lighting and texturing, it's because I'm a perfectionist and if I feel I have the current skills or abilities to make it better, it will drive me crazy until I do.

The chips are plain right now and need to be touched up to look like barbeque (currently just a ramp with three colors). Also the bump is not quite right. And lastly, the chips look too solid and heavy. I've played around with transparency and translucence on the chips but they're not quite they way I'd like them to be. It might be a good time to get some more experience with sub surface scattering.

I meant why are you making pringles in 3d? =)

louis56 19-10-2007 07:28 PM

Why is a question that can never be answered. You just can't do it!

I agree with Dj. Needs more of a bump.

LauriePriest 19-10-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by louis56
Why is a question that can never be answered. You just can't do it!

I agree with Dj. Needs more of a bump.

yes you can :)

it lacks artistic merit, set the bar higher, your house is looking cool i just don't get this at all.

Crisp modeling confuses me, nothing technically wrong.

Perfecto 19-10-2007 09:35 PM

I modeled the lid in about 3 minutes but have spent that last 1.5 hours trying to make it look like a photo realistic clear plastic lid. I'm failing miserably so it's probably going to me quite awhile to figure this one out. I've been playing with tons of settings, etc. Getting a good feel of certain controls and features in the process so not a complete waste of time.

LauriePriest: I'm just doing this while I'm waiting for some more information on the house. I'm doing the house according to some AutoCAD drawings. I want to finish the framing before I start on any other part of the house but the drawings don't specify certain information I need but refers to a "manual". So I'm waiting for my co-worker to get that info to me. Instead of doing nothing while I'm waiting I figured I'd try and improve my lighting and texturing skills.

Not sure what you mean by crisp modeling.