Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Which Childhood Cartoons/Shows Had An Affect On You (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35448)

08-04-2011 03:49 AM

Which Childhood Cartoons/Shows Had An Affect On You

RockyMills suggested that childhood cartoons, his will be done!

I didn't watch too many cartoons, but I did love the comedic/artistic style of things like Animaniacs and Pinky And The Brain.

The shows that affected me most though were probably Art Attack (don't know if anyone would know this one), and a random assortment of discovery channel shows. Always took great interest in shows aboutt computers and such, which definitely had an affect on me.

So how about you guys?

stwert 08-04-2011 04:20 AM

Yeah, I watched Art Attack a few times... I still remember him talking about a "loo-roll tube" totally cracked me up. Those brits.

Mr. Dressup, Mr Rogers' Neighborhood...
I watched very little TV as a kid, cause we didn't have one (still don't) but those are the ones that left an impression anyway.

bullet1968 08-04-2011 05:23 AM

LOL I saw Art Attack a few times......Scooby Doo was my all time fave...along with Starblazers...Monkey...Dr Who...and the Banana Splits....oh and Lancelot Link...now he was a champion!

cheers bullet

08-04-2011 05:42 AM

I used to always watch art attack with my granny, who's British, so whenever he said something uber British I would turn to her and laugh :P

Nilla 08-04-2011 06:19 AM

Donald Duck, the really old ones from the 40's are great and it's the smartest comic ever :)

Here's some reasons why

http://www.cracked.com/article_19021...seriously.html

elephantinc 08-04-2011 12:18 PM

I'm english so remember Art Attack but no one really cared about it...
I was 6 during the big pokemon craze, so that had a big effect.

I also remember watching bump the elephant when I was 3 but I don't think that had any effect on me :P

Dango77 08-04-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elephantinc (Post 317605)
I'm english so remember Art Attack but no one really cared about it...

Correction, nobody of your age really cared about it.....lol, it was one of the main things that got me into art as a very young child, that and Take Hart, followed by Hart beat, both with Tony Hart.
I watched an enormous amount of cartoons after those shows, pretty much all of the list Tweety posted, plus a ton more.
Most influential to me were probably Ulysses, Cities of Gold, Dungeons and Dragons, Battle of the Planets (G-force), Spiderman and his amazing friends, all the disney cartoons, and all the Hanna Barbera cartoons.
There's too many to list really, but then again Tweety already listed most of them for me! lol
I still watch cartoons, quite regularly, and I probably always will.

When I was a child I wanted to be a cartoon when I grew up, still wish that could come true some times....lol

elephantinc 08-04-2011 01:54 PM

smART seemed much more popular when I was a kid.
I think it was partially because it had morph clips throughout.

Dango77 08-04-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elephantinc (Post 317611)
smART seemed much more popular when I was a kid.
I think it was partially because it had morph clips throughout.

smART was also good, Id forgotten to add that one!
I have Morph and Chas bookends, I do wish I would come home one day to find them in a different position...lol

bullet1968 08-04-2011 02:56 PM

Its good that we all have our own take on life.........we all have our own perception on whats it all about. I lived near a river....fishin...jumping off of bridges....swimmin, shit all the good things in life, but the cartoons did make my life. Did TV be that big a part?

mastone 08-04-2011 07:39 PM

When I was a kid ( I still am only back then my ID made it legit :) ) I watched everything there wasn't really a favorite, It has been said however that I kept asking for a certain movie : The dragon that wasn't ( YouTube - The Dragon That Wasn't (Or Was He?) 1983 "part 1")
I can still watch out of nostalgia, but I have to say that the dutch version has a better voice cast
Nowadays I still watch cartoons but more humor oriented like south park, family guy but I still piss my pants when i see the terrible thunder lizards from EEK

Chirone 09-04-2011 12:40 AM

I think the most influential cartoons of my time may have been..
samurai pizza cats (would draw stuff based on them),
ghost busters (dont actually remember that but i do remember having a hoop and running around with it on my shoulder like a ghost buster)
captain planet
sailor moon (yes i like that cartoon even though i hated the main character... a shame the english version is more child friendly than the japanese version)
widget the world watcher (which no one seems to remember)
transformers
and i'm pretty sure there were more...

pokemon was a super major influence on me, despite rejecting it from the beginning

i was about 11 when pokemon came out. First saw it in a game magazine, thought it said pokeman and i thought it was a stupid name. Read what it was about and it said something about a professor oak giving you one of three pokemans. i pictured a giant tree like the boss in one of the kirby games. it was a gameboy game and i assumed everything on that thing was childish. no idea how i knew of kirby at the time though... i had never played it before, nor touched a gameboy before then

months and months later i was told about this new cartoon on tv called pokemon, and then i suddenly made the connection that pokeman is really pokemon... I still remember the place when he told me... i dont even know whose house we were at or what the event was for... i just remember part of the outside when i was told...
so the next day i got up to watch it. The first episode i saw was the one with the Khangaskhan (which look like kangaroos, they even have pouches). the two parent characters in that episode made the cartoon look old and crusty like sailor moon and sumurai pizza cats (i had no idea about the term anime at the time, i just knew there were some cartoons that looked different to bugs bunny and scooby doo).
and then i became a fan...

Ponyboy 25-04-2011 12:09 AM

the shows I watched as a youngster were He-Man, Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles, ThunderCats, and even into my mid teens I really got into Batman The Animated Series.

R4PTOR 02-05-2011 12:26 AM

Mr. Squiggle.

Always thought that show was amazing. I don't know how popular it was outside of Aus though.

jali 12-05-2011 01:37 PM

why hasn't anyone mentioned the racoons? that show was amazing and the music was awsome

The galaxy rangers and jayce and the wheeled warriors had amazing music too,