Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Edrom Arch (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13491)

flipfl0p 12-09-2004 08:12 PM

Edrom Arch

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys!

Been a long time since I messed around with Maya. Was busy [and still am] with school. I have been having this picture in my mind for so long now. I finally got the chance to give it a start.

I used Edrom Arch as a template for the building. It is a VERY old Scottish church that I thought looked pretty neat. I am still not that satisfied with the picture.

I rendered this in two parts:

1) I rendered the scene using the Maya render engine so that the paint effects would render.

2) I rendered the scene once more with Mental Ray to get a better looking render of the building. I cut and pasted the Mental Ray rendering of the building into the other picture.

Please C&C!!! And if you could... give me some tips on getting a cooler looking atmosphere. (I would like to see this scene on a cold rainy and cloudy morning but I am stuck :/ )

-flipfl0p

Psuedo Realizm 12-09-2004 08:24 PM

WOOOO VERY NICE! i love it

although i know what your saying.. something looks a little off... something with the vegitation but i cant quite put my finger on it.. i'm sure the pro's around here will have no problems point it out though

maybe you should add a few bal spots in the vegitation or hight differences.. grass and plants never grow to be the exact same height like that.. unless somebodies been keep it mowed.. in which case glad that aint my job.. you'd need a riding lawn mower from hell to keep that hill cut even

also do plants grow straight out? i always thought they grew upwards... i could be wrong though

swankymonkey 12-09-2004 08:33 PM

something about the lighting seems off to me. The sun is behind the building (great looking texture on the building BTW) but there is what looks like a spot light on the wall facing the camera.

You could try compositing in some particle effects for rain. Maybe blurring them to get the right look?

I'm diggin' the overall look of the overgrown paint effects grass with the old stone building.

nice work

Dave

flipfl0p 12-09-2004 08:34 PM

Hehe.. riding lawn mower from hell ROFL!!!!!!!

Pseudo thanks for the crits I definetly need them. You're right about the grass, it almost looks too perfect. This is my first experience with paint effects so I'll see what I can conjure up. I might have my hill too round. Initially I wanted almost a cliff-like drop off. But somehow I wound up with this.

I'll get back to work on this one and try to make some imperfections in the grass.

Thanks!!!

flipfl0p 12-09-2004 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another thought...

Psuedo Realizm 13-09-2004 01:06 AM

wow.. i wish i could have lighting down as well as you do.. thats nice!... i got nothing left to crit on other then what i said in my previous posts

FubaR 13-09-2004 12:41 PM

looks nice...maybe you should bring up a bit more light at the point where the sunstreams come through..

flipfl0p 13-09-2004 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you guys SOOO much for all your input. I like both pics so much that I think I will halt with them for now!

I will be starting another project very shortly and I look forward to hearing from you again hehe :)

Well I have attached my original template that I based my building off of. This is the actual Edrom Arch of Scotland...

Thanks again guys!!!!

Psuedo Realizm 13-09-2004 08:13 PM

WOOOO you scared me for a second there.. i thought that photograph was a different work of yours.. :p ... but anyways great job... i'll be sure to check out your later works.. later