Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Boolean + Bevel = WTF??? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25397)

redd38 11-03-2007 04:27 PM

Boolean + Bevel = WTF???

If I make a simple polygon cube and a simple polygon cylinder (although I've tried with different shapes and it doesn't help) and I place the cylinder through the cube and execute the Boolean->Difference command then I get a cube with a round hole in it. That's exactly what I would expect and exactly what I want.

Here's the problem...
If I then execute the Bevel command on my cube then I get crazy results. Instead of having two square faces with round holes in them on two sides of the cube those 2 faces disappear and i'm left with only a round face where the round hole should have been. I've tried deleting construction history before running the bevel and it doesn't help. I've tried messing with the bevel options and nothing seems to work.

I'm using Maya 8.0 btw.

p.s. Making a cube with a hole in it some other way will bevel just fine.

Joopson 11-03-2007 05:43 PM

try deleting history, instead of just construction history.

i tried deleting construction history only and got the same error.

redd38 11-03-2007 06:11 PM

What's the difference? I went to Edit->Delete by type->History

That's what I meant by deleted construction history. Is there some other way to do it, or is there something else I need to do? Did you make it work for you somehow other than deleting constuction history?

Joopson 11-03-2007 06:34 PM

hmm, whoops.

try out this

Edit>Delete ALL by type>history

because the boolean is technically still 2 meshes

marlonjohn 11-03-2007 10:33 PM

yeah booleans is weird to work with...

did it your way and didnt work like what you are getting, try doing it the other way... bevel the cube edges first then boolean the cyclinder threw that, that should work... though later on when you want to boolean something into that object you just made, it might be a hassel ... goodluck

also joopson, when i tried edit-->delete all by type-->history it did no effect if red hasnt tried yet,

marlon

Alan 12-03-2007 02:53 AM

em be careful with "delete all by type history" cause it will delete history for ALL objects in your scene... select the ones you want to delete history for and then hit delete history. Much safer.

A

Ps. Why don't you just bevel the cube first? that worked for me

kostas68 12-03-2007 04:25 AM

I have the same problems Are you trying to make chapter 5
from maya 5 book by jim lammer??? maya booleans and
bevels dosnt work very well

redd38 12-03-2007 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kostas68
I have the same problems Are you trying to make chapter 5
from maya 5 book by jim lammer??? maya booleans and
bevels dosnt work very well

Nope, but if that chapter talks about booleans and bevels then I'm interested in reading it.

The reason I don't just bevel first then boolean is because I want the edge of the hole beveled also.

kostas68 12-03-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by redd38
Nope, but if that chapter talks about booleans and bevels then I'm interested in reading it.

The reason I don't just bevel first then boolean is because I want th
e edge of the hole beveled also.

see maya 5 and booleans

kostas68 12-03-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kostas68
see maya 5 and booleans

see maya help type booleans in help say for the booleans
errors and what you can do. i cand read it i dind speak english
the book is maya5fundamental by jim lammers and lewis very good for new users

Perfecto 25-03-2007 08:12 AM

I just read you post and tried creating a box and then subtracting a cylinder from it. No problem, worked great. Then I tried to bevel the edge of the circle and got the same results as you described. I found a way around it for me and I hope it works for everyone else too.

Before you perform the Boolean difference, use the split polygon tool to draw a line accross the cube but make sure the line goes through part of the cylinder. Now perform the boolean and then bevel you hole. It worked for me every single time (as long as there was one line (edge) going through part of the cylinder.

Hope this works for everyone.

Perfecto 25-03-2007 08:13 AM

I forgot to mention that if you want to bevel the hole on both sides of the cube, then you'll need to split the polygon on both sides of the cube before you perform the boolean.

redd38 25-03-2007 10:14 AM

That works pretty well. It's not perfect and I'm still thinking it's best to just avoid using booleans in this way, but that will definately be helpful for somethings.