Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Clash Of the Titans (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33950)

Jay 02-04-2010 07:40 AM

Clash Of the Titans

Hey guys

I couldnt post any comments last weekend as it was all hush hush and all sworn to secrecy etc, but I was lucky enough last Sunday to get invited to a crew screening of 'Clash' and the out come was overall pretty darn good. A real monster romp, and its pretty much non stop action all the way thru it. It doesnt let up As we all know its a remake and its been done well, Im a sucker for this type of movie....you know CG creatures etc so for me it was a right old treat.

Although I didnt do any work on the film our guys at Cinesite did a great job on the scorpion creatures, but... I did get to play with the rig last year as one of the guys I sit next to actually had the task of rigging it. Its pretty impressive stuff. Also for those wanting a bit more juice, I believe the texture and dis maps were made from references photos from bread crust and carrot skin!! LOL oh yeah!!

My only tiny tiny gripe, was the 2d to 3d switch which was done in post production in the comp. No its not as good as Avatars there, but it works okay, there are couple of cardboard cutout moments but thats compromise from 2d to 3d at the end of the process instead of a full 3d shoot throughout.

theres an article on it this months 3d world too

laters

Jay

tweetytunes 02-04-2010 11:32 AM

After watching the crap that was wonderland in 3d ("2d mixed up") I think I`ll just crash in 2D.

The 80`s one is in my all time top 5 and hoping to see it 2day. Love the look of Medusa and the trailer was well edited - just hope its not a let down

Jay 02-04-2010 12:32 PM

yeah, I've heard mixed reviews on 'Alice' too from various people with regard to the 2d/3d.

But a guy I know from work was a TD at ILM a while back before this all really started and ol' George Lucas had already been (fiddling) doing the conversion of the original Star Wars and Attack of the Clones. He said and I quote him ' that it looked really bloody good and the 2d to 3d process does work when its applied properly and not it 2 weeks prior to a films release'.

but anyway, go enjoy 'Clash' and try not to think about the 3d aspect...

Jay

mtmckinley 02-04-2010 05:59 PM

I've yet to see a '3D' movie and don't plan to. That stuff just gives me a headache. Plus wearing glasses on top of glasses is annoying. If the film is available normally, I'll go see it though.

*yeah, still haven't seen Avatar* ;)

Jay 02-04-2010 06:24 PM

thats understandable Mike.

To be honest, I came out of Avatar and driving home I suffered a migraine attack (which I get frequently) and I recall watching it the strain on my eyes as I kept feeling slightly crossed eyed.

However the effect was okay at Clash, it felt normal this time. Maybe because of a different process wa used. I dunno...

anyway yeah its around in 2d as well

J

stwert 02-04-2010 06:57 PM

I think I'll probably see it in 2D. Thanks for the review though. I haven't seen the original, but I'd like to watch it too.

mastone 03-04-2010 08:27 PM

Don't understand why people are (e-)bashing alice in wonderland that much, I watched it in 3D and I actually really liked it.

Clash of the titans doesn't appael to me that much however, I do appreciate the fact that these guys are probably on the frontier of rigging and such, but I have the feeling ( this feeling is creeping at me for a couple of years now), that VFX are becoming an entity of their own apart from the movies their in and sometimes drive out the story.

Take the last Harry Potter movie for instance where they take a 2 sentence part from the book and make it much larger than need be( talking about the bridge collapse), sure it's a well done effect, but it would be better for the story if they did a short intro from the chapter " the other minister".
Or shown more of the memories in short bring out more of the story.

I feel like they are dumbing down great movies/stories, in order to cram in more visual effects, whilest in my opinion VFX are there to enhance the movie, a supporting role instead of a starring role if you will.

:beer:

Kurt 04-04-2010 04:08 AM

I like the 1981 vershion a lot better this one while the fx where nice the story needed a lot of work.

Jay 04-04-2010 11:24 AM

Its essentially the same story though? Except Andromeda and Perseus werent in love this time round, so he just saved the city and got revenge on Hades.

Its a popcorn movie anyway so to want something deeper is just not gonna happen, its just a huge monster killing, revenge seeking romp

Jay

gubar 05-04-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay
Its essentially the same story though? Except Andromeda and Perseus werent in love this time round, so he just saved the city and got revenge on Hades.

Its a popcorn movie anyway so to want something deeper is just not gonna happen, its just a huge monster killing, revenge seeking romp

Jay

Popcorn movies can still have smart stories and scripts though. Robocop, Terminator and Aliens spring to mind.

Still haven't seen Clash though so can't comment. I have heard that while the CGI is good the movie isn't. I'll make up my own mind later though, and am looking forward to seeing it.

cheers

gubar

Jay 05-04-2010 01:38 PM

Hmmm, I dont really see Terminator and Aliens as popcorn movies. They are too dark in their own way. Robocop I cant really put into category.

Popcorn is like the Pirates trilogy, that light but entertaining not too deep kinda movie, thats popcorn.

anyway each to their own

Jay

gubar 05-04-2010 01:57 PM

I think they are popcorn movies for sure. Bid-budget, high grossing, effects-driven movies.

Surely popcorn movies don't only have to be light and fluffy?

Mayaniac 05-04-2010 03:29 PM

Looking forward to watching Clash at some point soon, looks like a blast... do enjoy a good monster romp! Nothing like a full on CG-Monster fest to get the creative juices flowing!

To be honest, I like watching movies in 3D, watched Avatar in 3D (twice), and have watched Alice (which I thought was really good! new avatar material at least!) recently in 3D too.

Jay 05-04-2010 04:08 PM

Cool mate I hope you enjoy, it is a monster romp to say the very least....and Gemma Arterton is a decent bit of eye candy too in her toga LOL

Jay

tweetytunes 06-04-2010 06:55 AM

Well I got to see it the other day and was forced to watch it in 3D because they canned the showings of the 2D .
Put the cost of watching it up as-well (not a good start).

And the 3D blow`ed - There was so little of it and was just not worth it.

Avatar was great in 3D - Clash and Alice were both poo - and its all because they were not made in 3D. Just another way to take the money out my pocket.

Anyway lets put a line under all that

I have no problem with the film, story or the sfx - (Very slight spoiler) although the really bad ref to Bubo was weak and not needed.

I liked a lot of the changes they made to the story - most made the film make a lot more sense than the 80`s one. And I have an issues with the very end of the film, but just loved the rest of it. It will not win any awards (well maybe a MTV one) but good old fun none the less

I`m just sick of cinemas ripping us off by forcing us to watch weak ass 3D when JC has showed the world how it can be done.