Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   City Set (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7091)

R-Tillery 24-07-2003 09:33 PM

City Set

I’m building a city set to try my hand at animation, but I’m not sure on how big I should set the scale in the world for my objects. Any help would be great.
Thanks for your time:)

mumbojumbo_13 25-07-2003 11:18 AM

it doesnt really matter how big it is just make sure everything is relative to one object
hope that helps

BabyDuck 25-07-2003 12:25 PM

right mumbo, it really does not matter. but it might be good to use the maya units as a measurement - e.g. imagine one maya unit to be 1 meter. this way you can have accuracy up to 1 mm - should be enough for a city scene ...

p.s.: dont jump on me that you might be able to work more accurate - but if you enter numbers you are limited to 3 digits after the comma (or point) - i am not 100% sure if verts can be places more accurate ...

R-Tillery 25-07-2003 03:56 PM

RIGHT On Guys!:) Thanks for the info,,It realy dose help.. thanks

Alan 28-07-2003 12:49 PM

how are you gonna build the city? one of the guys on my course is building a city procedurally using MEL. that would probably be easier than trying to model it all by hand.... :D

Alan

R-Tillery 28-07-2003 04:08 PM

By hand at this point, I'm not good at MEL just yet, but I/ll be taking casses in the fall and hopefully will learn with out pulling my hair out:D the one reason I asked this question is when I go into the city to fix up some of the Detail I have a hard time getting close to the point where I want to fix, My move tool slows down and I have to push the mouse more to get to the point where I want.(if that makes sense) and ? not on this problem but dose any one have the problem of working in Maya and then the W-E-R- keys stop working and have to go to the tool bar to use them?:confused:

I-Iybrid 28-07-2003 05:27 PM

Try selecting the object you want to fix up, and hit F. It'll focus on the object, and you'll be set. :)

howardporter 28-07-2003 06:07 PM

I had that problem, untill i realized i had the caps lock on :(

drknow 28-07-2003 06:58 PM

Just dont make it too big, or the objects will disappear when you scale out.

Alan 28-07-2003 07:10 PM

view >> camera attribute editor >> far clip plane

change this value to a higher one and they wont dissapear

Alan

drknow 28-07-2003 07:16 PM

Ahhh HAaaa........I knew I could change it. You just saved me some time man. Thanks.

Alan 28-07-2003 07:19 PM

you're welcome. :) and obviously if there is something close up that is disappearing changing the near clip plane to a smaller number will stop that happening

Alan

Harvezter 30-07-2003 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BabyDuck
right mumbo, it really does not matter. but it might be good to use the maya units as a measurement - e.g. imagine one maya unit to be 1 meter.

BabyDuck, what do you mean by a Maya Unit? Do you mean the units of the grid itself? like one square on the grid is one unit? (or to be thought of as 1 squ meter as you suggested above?)