Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   IRC Mods needed. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2600)

David 10-12-2002 02:00 AM

IRC Mods needed.

Most of you probably don’t know this but we do have our own IRCd set up and running, what we need is a couple of people that want to moderate our IRC chans we will make you IRC operators, you will need to help people register keep an eye on the chanservs etc etc

PM me if you fancy giving it a shot, you will need to have some knowledge of IRC and want to get people in there and chatting.

David :)

tariqrf 11-12-2002 06:34 AM

:(... i never tried IRC... i will try it today though... let me see... and what does and IRC mod do?

NitroLiq 11-12-2002 02:36 PM

In a nutshell, a mod moderates the irc channel....makes sure no one tries to take over the channel with bot scripts, kicks out any troublemakers, sets various channel modes and user privileges (OPs), etc. etc. You have to know a bit about how IRC works (or you should at least) with regards to packets and how people can take over the channel and bots.

tariqrf 11-12-2002 02:53 PM

you mean that i should be there on the channel 24/7.... i dont think i will be able to do that..:(

NitroLiq 11-12-2002 03:06 PM

That's why they want more than one person. Most of the time you don't have much to do so you can just have irc going in the background while you go about your work or whatever. But, you still need to have a good understanding as to how things work for when things go wrong or people attempt channel takeovers. A lot of channels use bots to automate things but like anything else, people like to hack them so you still need to know your stuff. I briefly thought that I could possibly do it while at work but while I've been an Op in the past, it's a far cry from being a mod....and honestly I'm not really into it anymore...sucks up too much of my time...time better spent working on design skills or what-have-you.

dpvtank 11-12-2002 11:37 PM

i have been an op for the irc chat room for brokensaints.com (a huge creepy epic tale bought to life)

anyway..
i am gonna do some research..
what u most likely have to do is go to a server (example DALnet or IRC)
and just start a server..
thats right..just type in
/join #ur_server_name
that automatically creates a room..

however, i think we can most likely get our own irc thingy..
like irc.simplymaya.co.uk

usually, ur host does that....try contacting the host for this site..
because most of the chats i have been to, are being hosted by their hosts...

so..yeah
:p

hope that was evena bit helpfull

Oculus 11-12-2002 11:50 PM

I would like to help out. I am familiar with IRC, but have never been a mod before. Someone would have to kinda show me the basics. =|

NitroLiq 12-12-2002 12:05 AM

DPV,

You don't even have to do that. If you look at the site's nav buttons in the upper right of the page, you can just click the "chat" button which brings up a jIRC applet, which in turn allows you to chat on SM's IRC channel right from your browser. Of course, if you want to use your own IRC client, such as mIRC, you'd have to get all the channel information.

dpvtank 12-12-2002 01:44 AM

so...um...what is it?

dpvtank 12-12-2002 01:47 AM

n.m
got it

David 12-12-2002 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dpvtank
i have been an op for the irc chat room for brokensaints.com (a huge creepy epic tale bought to life)

anyway..
i am gonna do some research..
what u most likely have to do is go to a server (example DALnet or IRC)
and just start a server..
thats right..just type in
/join #ur_server_name
that automatically creates a room..

however, i think we can most likely get our own irc thingy..
like irc.simplymaya.co.uk

usually, ur host does that....try contacting the host for this site..
because most of the chats i have been to, are being hosted by their hosts...

so..yeah

hope that was evena bit helpfull

irc.simplymaya.com is running we run our IRCd :)

mumbojumbo_13 12-12-2002 12:10 PM

i no this has nothing to do with this IRC mumbojumbo but is the chat thing working ?

Kevin 12-12-2002 12:53 PM

is now!

tariqrf 12-12-2002 05:01 PM

ok... so how do i get to the chatroom???... sorry... need info from installing the APP!!!! :p

NitroLiq 12-12-2002 05:03 PM

Already said this but click the chat button in the upper right navigation then accept the jIRC applet when it asks you to. Type in a user name and hit connect.