Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Materials & Textures (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Help with Polygonal Texturing... (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5193)

Lane243 15-04-2003 03:44 AM

Help with Polygonal Texturing...

I'm new to Maya and I am trying to texture a polygonal object with the UV's and all that fun crap :p And anyways I looked at mike's tutorial on it and I got way confused, so I was wondering if there were any free video tut's (besides the ones on this site, since I don't have any VIP points) out there anywhere that are helpful...

Thanks in advance,
~Lane~

mtmckinley 15-04-2003 04:00 AM

what was confusing about it? If it's confusing, it needs to be corrected.

Darkware 15-04-2003 04:08 AM

Perhaps going through the tutorial again and studying it carefully would help. I run into so many cases where people have watched a tutorial and are confused afterwards. 90% of the time it's because they accidentally missed an important step in the tutorial that was there all along. Mike usually doesn't leave any loose ends from what I have seen. Just my two sense.

Lane243 17-04-2003 01:31 AM

Ok, I started the tutorial again, started out by loading my model of course... then turning on backface culling... then switching to the front camera and selecting the front faces of the part of the model... then I to the planar mapping options, reset them, then turned on the planar camera, clicked appply, and closed it...then opened up the UV editor and I couldn't seem to get any further in the tutorial than that ( I didn't quite understand how you needed to move the UV's to flatten them out)

I am sorry I am so confused about this (since this is probably easier than I am making it out to be) but I am really really new to all this

If there is something I am missing or if you can tell me a little more about how I am supposed to flatten and move the UV's then it would be greatly appreciated (I always seem to say that after every post "Greatly Appreciated" :p )

~Lane~

EDIT: Forgot to mention that every time I open the UV Texture editor after completing all the steps before it (planar mapping and such) it has the manipulator tool on it so all I was able to do was flip the UV's, scale the size, and such.

I-Iybrid 17-04-2003 01:49 AM

The UV Texture editor works just like anything else. Like as if you were in the side/top/front/persp. cameras. Right click and select UVs, then move/scale/rotate the uvs to where you need them. I had the same problem, I couldnt figure out what to do/how to use the UV editor. Hope this helps :)

mtmckinley 17-04-2003 03:53 AM

Yes, the manipulator that appears after initially mapping faces lets you move the UV shell as a whole. You'll notice that I move the shells away from the central mass of unmapped UVs for ease of use in my tutorial.

Once it's out of the way, as Hybrid says, right click and select UVs from the selection menu. You can then select UVs and move them around as you'd like.