Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Starry Background (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20168)

Jaroehl 07-02-2006 04:40 PM

Starry Background

Hey guys,

I am making a animated scene in space. But i want to get the realistic looking space atmosphere, with the starry background. Does someone know a tutorial or how to make the space atmosphere with starry background.

Thanks;)

Greets

blomkaal 07-02-2006 06:47 PM

Use some PFx on a black background, render it out as a 2D image and apply it to an imagelpane... If you need me to go a little more into detail just let me know :)

gster123 07-02-2006 07:14 PM

Paint FX is the way forward!

aero_pg 08-02-2006 04:22 AM

can u go into more detail. thanks

blomkaal 08-02-2006 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sure thing :)

First of all, if you want planets, make a scene with a few textured sphere and render it with a black background.

Then create a new scene, press 8 to go to Maya Paint Effects. Go to Paint -> Paint Canvas which will change it into a 2D painter. If you've created planets, select Canvas -> Open Image and open the rendered planets. If not, go to Canvas -> Clear -> Optionbox and select black as colour, and clear the canvas.

Next, you go to Brush -> Get Brush, which opens op the Visor. Here you open the Galactic folder, select a brush, and start painting away :)

When you're done painting. go to Canvas -> Save As and save your file.

Now, to set up the image as a backgound, tap the space bar to go back into the perspective view (or whatever you entered PFx from), and create a new camera (I think you could use the perspective view if you want to), and in one of your viewports go to Panels -> Perspective -> camera1 (if you've made a new camera, otherwise, just ignore this part).

Now go to View -> Image Plane -> Import Image in the viewport of the camera you're using, and select the image you painted. Now all you need to do is open up the attributes of the camera, and adjust the image plane size to that it fits your needs. It might be a good idea to turn on resolution gate (View -> Camera Settings -> Resolution Gate) to make sure that the image plane coveres the entire rendered space.

If you're going to animate this, you might wanna make the backgound move a bit around, unless your camera is still of course, which can be done by Keying the Offset X and Offset Y values in the image plane attributes...

Here's a quick background image I made in about 30 seconds or so :)

Jaroehl 09-02-2006 09:02 AM

Blomkaal your starry background looks good ;).
I will defanitly try your way of making the starry background.
I really like that red thing you did in the background.

aero_pg 10-02-2006 01:04 AM

where is (Paint -> Paint Canvas) and how do u mean by create a few textured sphere? polygons???

Jaroehl 10-02-2006 08:11 AM

You can find the (Paint -> Paint Canvas):
When you press 8 you will get into the maya paint effect screen, in that screen above on the left you will see the roll out manu Paint. Under that menu you can find Paint Canvas.

I think what Blomkaal means by creating a few textured spheres is:
If you want planets in your scene, you can create a few spheres. Give these spheres the textures of the planet you want (for example The Earth). By doing this you have planets with a starry background.

;)

blomkaal 10-02-2006 08:27 AM

Jaroehl is right, just make some spheres (nurbs, polys whatever), texture them, and render them. Then use the rendered image to paint on instead of an empty canvas...

aero_pg 11-02-2006 01:45 AM

i still cant find the canvas menu. i pressed f8 i see nada what menu is it next to or under?

SpaceGoat 12-02-2006 04:34 AM

not 'F8' but '8'. all numbers to 8 serve a purpose. 1,2,3 changes the smoothness for NURBS i think and 4,5,6,7 is what sort of display such as 4 is wireframe, 5 is shaded surfaces and something to that effect.

Jaroehl 12-02-2006 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I made my starry background by using Maya Paint effects (Thank ;) ). I made a Sphere in my space scene and gave it the earth texture. But to me the earth does not look realistic. I wanted to get the result as in the picture posted below.

Does one of you know or know a tutorial, on how to make a realistic looking earth and how to light it. So i can get a result similar to the picture posted below.

Thanks ;)

skywola 12-02-2006 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ran into that problem some time ago and managed to create a shader that can make background stars. Depending on how thick your mesh is, you may need to adjust the cell size and density to make it look right.

Jaroehl 12-02-2006 11:13 PM

Skywola,
i downloaded your maya file. But when i open it i get nothing in the scene. How must i use your file?

Greets

micgaz 12-02-2006 11:46 PM

Hi Jaroehi,

I am a liitle unclear as to what exactly you are trying to achieve. So this may be way off mark. But....

If you would prefer to do your background and planets in photoshop, you could use the background as it is and use the texturing for the planet/s.
If this sort of approach suits you, then here is a ref to a fantastic tut for making space scenes in photoshop.

http://gallery.artofgregmartin.com/t..._a_planet.html

http://gallery.artofgregmartin.com/t...tar_field.html