Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   backface culling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33707)

Monkey Wrench 02-02-2010 04:25 AM

backface culling

So I recently found out about backface culling which I am thankful for finding, however when I was done using the backface culling for polygons, I turned it off in the scene I was using, saved the scene, then reopened it to find the backface culling was still active. When I opened a new new I make a quick polygon object to see if the backface culling was still active and It was not.

I went ahead and again opened the scene Im working on and the culling was still on, and no I dont have the shaders backface culling on either.

When I do render the scene, the backface culling isnt active, its just when I'm trying to work on the scene. So I'm guessing this setting is somehow saved into the file, how can I get rid of the culling? Thanks to anyone who can help!!

honestdom 02-02-2010 07:54 AM

turn it off again... or on and off again (if you haven't tried that already). Your preferences may not have been saved before you quit.

Monkey Wrench 03-02-2010 03:45 AM

I have opened the scene, turned culling off, saved the scene, closed it, reopened it, tried turning culling back on and off while reopening and closing each time, I have been successful with new scenes and even new geometry in the "problem scene" and it has worked, but its the original geometry that has been in the problem scene " my truck" that still has culling on. :confused: :confused:

honestdom 03-02-2010 11:52 AM

perhaps you have unchecked double sided in the render stats.

Monkey Wrench 04-02-2010 10:27 PM

hmm, ill check but would the render stats effect my perspective and orthographic views? even though i'm not rendering?

honestdom 04-02-2010 10:47 PM

yeah... well it might not be in that section, but the thing i'm thinking about does.

stwert 04-02-2010 11:33 PM

I believe hammer's right, it's under render stats, though it applies to your viewport too.

Monkey Wrench 05-02-2010 02:56 PM

Ok, I checked all of the geometry and they all have doublesided

checked.

I'm positive that it is the backface culling. I made a new

plane, checked the backface culling on, saved, exited, opened

again, checked backface culling off, saved,exited, opened again,

and the plane still have the culling on.

So I'm not exactly sure what to do to turn it back off?

Ponyboy 24-05-2011 12:18 AM

How do you turn off backface culling anyway?

Arorae 21-08-2011 02:43 PM

I know this is kind of a necro but I just found out how to fix it myself after a somewhat annoying hunt and this thread was one of the top google results for the issue so I thought id post an answer :3 anyway.

If you start having trouble turning off backface culling then do this.

Select your object in object mode. Go into attribute editor and go to your surface shape and down to "mesh component display". click on the backface culling drop down list and switch it to off.
This will allow you to do it without that silly save and re-open thing.