Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Mogul Steam Locomotive (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12520)

jsprogg 07-07-2004 07:25 PM

Mogul Steam Locomotive

1 Attachment(s)
I decided it was time I made a model from scratch with no imput from tutorials ect.
I wanted to do a vehicle that was different from a car so ambitiously chose a steam Locomotive, I have to say that getting reference for this perticular loco was really difficult, but I have pieced it together using various photos and other references.
I still have lots to model but decided to give you guys a preview.
I am struggling to model the wheel linkages and pistons right now.
anyway here it is :

jsprogg 07-07-2004 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and from the front :)

jsprogg 07-07-2004 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And before you ask here a wireframe ..lol

ransick 07-07-2004 07:40 PM

heeeeeeey dude!! this is going to be gooooood!! keep this thing up man! really nice job sofar... and oh ...could you perhaps post a wire ? :p

jsprogg 08-07-2004 01:20 AM

Thanks man ..gonna be a lot of detailing on this one ..looking forward to have a go at animating it too when it is all done and dusted :)

cracker 08-07-2004 02:14 PM

the proportions dont look quite right to me

what ref did you use?

MainlineX 08-07-2004 02:19 PM

Coming along very nicely!!! Looking forward to seeing it's progress! Good job!! :)

jsprogg 08-07-2004 04:56 PM

cracker ...it is modeled froma blue print and the proportions are correct, it might be the angle of the render tho.
I obviously have a lot more to add to it and maybe when the wheels are complete and the detailing is done on the boiler and the front end is added it will look more proportioned.
Thanks Mainline ...will try and post an update soon, but modeling the wheel linkages and piston gear is proving to be a challenge..lol

jsprogg 08-07-2004 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a pic of the train . not quite the same but the right model.
This very simular to what mine should look like when done :)

NextDesign 08-07-2004 10:40 PM

Cool. I havn't seen a lot of train models on SM. Great job so far mate!

mtmckinley 08-07-2004 11:51 PM

Neat stuff. I think the long cylinder might be a bit too long, compared to your reference, but if you're going for, like, a suped-up version, it works.

jsprogg 09-07-2004 01:28 AM

Thanks Mike , I am not actually using the pic as a proportional reference but more of a contruction reference . I have a 2d blue print of the side and rear of the train to get the length and width but I have to use what images I could find of the same model of the train but not exact to the blueprint I have so I could figure out what the componnents were and how they relate to the 2d image.
It is proving to be a challenge with out a front or top view but it matches well to the two 2d images I have.
I worked on it a little more but not much to post yet so I will wait a little while before posting an update.
I do plan to animate it eventually so I am trying to model it as best I can with that in mind.

ransick 09-07-2004 06:19 AM

goood for you jsprogg!
It's nice to see someone really putting his best in his project! I know for sure that this will be as great as you have in mind :)
keep it rollin' dude

jsprogg 12-07-2004 02:14 PM

update

1 Attachment(s)
Hi , been working a little more on this and will post a render later today :)
For now here is a side render with the reference overlay for your viewing pleasure ....

jsprogg 13-07-2004 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi..I have added the front light and the bell, also added the boiler straps and been working for hours on the pistons and drive gear..still lots to be done on the wheels but hears an update :)