Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   If you get good in maya, Where do you work? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1677)

iron_tick 19-10-2002 08:03 PM

If you get good in maya, Where do you work?

A lot of the work i'm seeing here is great. But, besides the satisfaction of creating spectacular scenes, what motivates you to get good at this and keep doing this? Do you do this for a living? When your good like that do people pay you to do this work? i mean...does everyone here work at Pixar or ILM or something like that? Getting that good had to take a good deal of time.. Hope I'm not being too nosey or anything but it doesnt seem like anyone asked that question before. :banana:

Nem 19-10-2002 08:45 PM

people who are good tend to go work for the big boys, i mean really really really good, big boys being ILM, digital domain, pixar but they dnt use maya

donvlatko 19-10-2002 09:31 PM

every big boys use MAYA!!!!!!!

Nem 19-10-2002 10:45 PM

maybe they do use maya, but its definitely not their main software :)

undseth 19-10-2002 11:04 PM

The board has given me the title senior member, but I'd really prefer "senior newbie member" :) .

I'll write something here, because I feel like taking a break from the modeling.

Making plastic-models of airplanes has always been a hobby of mine, but I never got to go pro with painting and airbrushing, now that's something to fiddle about at the age of 70. I'm not going to listen to geriatric music and such, that I am sure of.

I study architecture, although I'm having a looong break from my studies. I love to model with cardboard and such at school.

After toying with maya for half a year now, I'm now familliar with many of the modeling functions. But that does not include subdivision tools and animation tools.

I still have, pretty much, no clue to texturing or animation. But I'm getting a hang on nurbs modeling.

I started to use maya in the hope of making cool rendering of my architecture-projects at shool.

I , I, I... I have also tried FormZ and ArchiCad, but Maya is far more pleasurable to model with, imho.

So the projects of mine here at simplymaya is just for fun.

My drawback is that I'm not that fond of simply playing around with modeling. Only a fascinating project gives me the "go go" for making something.

I wish I had a virtual maya teatcher, kinda like that medic-guy in star trek voyager.

I will always be a mediocre model-artist, but Im happy with it!!! :)

But at least I can fiddle with details and such. Fiddle with details long enough and it will start to look "good".

Nem 20-10-2002 01:41 AM

hey undseth, im sure you can change ur title to senior newbie member if you really wanted to :D
but yeah, maya does take a very long time to get comfy with, all you have to do is just keep pushing, and you'll get there :)

David 20-10-2002 02:09 AM

Quote:

people who are good tend to go work for the big boys, i mean really really really good, big boys being ILM, digital domain, pixar but they dnt use maya
Maya customers include: CNN, Disney, Dreamworks SKG, Electronic Arts, Industrial Light & Magic, Nintendo, Pixar, Sega, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Square Co.]

Maya played a role in three of the 2002 Academy Award winning films: Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Shrekand For The Birds.

Maya was used to create over half of the top twenty best-selling holiday PlaysStation® 2 titles in December 2001.

Alias|Wavefront software has been used in almost every film nominated by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences in the category best visual effectsfor the past five years.

So i think we can safely say Maya's not a bad choice for breaking into a career in 3d with one of the larger companies :)

As for myself im just a programmer and not exactly what you would call the worlds best Maya user :) some of our mods work in the 3D industry 9 - 5 of course, its not the easiest programme to learn but well worth the effort, lol but then again im a bit bias so....

mumbojumbo_13 20-10-2002 04:18 AM

dave you seem to know what your talking about when it comes to things related to maya
my question is yes people work for the "big boys" but how would you get a job there send them a cd of your stuff ?

Kevin 20-10-2002 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mumbojumbo_13
dave you seem to know what your talking about when it comes to things related to maya
my question is yes people work for the "big boys" but how would you get a job there send them a cd of your stuff ?

Now this is the question!!

Just ask people like mikey how hard this is!

Its kinda like every guy who gets the oportunity...there is a massive amount of luck involved, kinda like if you send in demo tunes to a record company! they receive a massive amount every day so most go in the bin.

My advice to you is to try and find a name...any name in any 3d company... dont set your sights to high at first..go for a smaller company where you stand a chance..

once you have a name, send him or her personal letters / demo reels etc.. once you are already "in the industry" you have a much better chance to climb the ladder

you might be suprised! also post your WIP`s and work around the net as much as possible ...

you never know who is looking! and most of all... good luck

Tolerate 20-10-2002 09:07 AM

Dave: If you are a programmer, you should get into mel......make scripts and plug-ins for us :)

pretty please

Kevin 20-10-2002 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tolerate
Dave: If you are a programmer, you should get into mel......make scripts and plug-ins for us :)

pretty please

Poor old dave is kept far to busy from me :D

Tolerate 20-10-2002 10:46 AM

hehe

David 20-10-2002 12:04 PM

Yep iv looked into mel script programming its one of the things i want to do more of after the board move :)

TychoCelchuuu 20-10-2002 03:12 PM

Don't forget computer games. Lucasarts is one of the main companies that uses Maya, and Maya is used for most of the XBOX games.

mtmckinley 20-10-2002 03:16 PM

Most of the "big boys" want people who've been working already for 3 or 4+ years or have 1 or 2 published game titles or completed films. So, it can be difficult. I've been consistently looking for stable work for over a year now. I've managed to get the occasional contract work, but haven't had much luck at a studio position. And while I wouldn't necessarily call myself the best, I'm definitely not bad.

Just gotta keep trying. The majority of people who get back to me are not hiring, but they say they like my work and will contact me when they are hiring... I guess it's just a matter of finding the right company with the right need at the right time... :P