Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   problem with blend shape (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18874)

conmeo 01-11-2005 11:17 PM

problem with blend shape

the base object is a surface
the target object is a mesh that i import from an OBJ file
when i change the blendshape channel key ( to any value other than 0), the object just disappears

and one more thing blend shape also doesn't change the texture and the material of the object, then how?

pls, help me, i'm doing this for my school project

mtmckinley 02-11-2005 01:01 AM

I might not be understanding correctly, but it doesn't sound like you're using the blend shape right... it only works if you are blending between 2 identical (on a mesh level) objects. For example, a duplicate of the original object that has had its individual points moved around. The original can then blend its vertices positions to the copy's.

As for changing textures and materials, you'd probably need to use a layered shader and key the transparancy between them.

Hope that made sense.

conmeo 02-11-2005 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I might not be understanding correctly, but it doesn't sound like you're using the blend shape right... it only works if you are blending between 2 identical (on a mesh level) objects. For example, a duplicate of the original object that has had its individual points moved around. The original can then blend its vertices positions to the copy's.

As for changing textures and materials, you'd probably need to use a layered shader and key the transparancy between them.

Hope that made sense.

thnx for reply, but then how to blend 2 totally different objects? is it possible in Maya?

mtmckinley 02-11-2005 01:53 AM

You'd most likely need to fake it, using blend shapes or another kind of deformer (or combo of deformers) to get object A to move toward the shape of Object B, but then blend transparancy between the two objects.

Using particle effects and the like to help mask the switch can help the overall effect as well, depending on what exactly you're trying to do.

If you really want to try to make one shape blend into the other, you'd have the best results doing a blend shape, but you'd have to duplicate object A and then remodel it into object B without adding/subtracting geometry.

conmeo 02-11-2005 01:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
let me make it clearer,
i want to blend the left one to the right one, can anyone help me?

mtmckinley 02-11-2005 02:43 PM

Make your flat plane have a LOT of geometry, duplicate it, and then go over the copy with the sculpt tools to get it to look like you want. Then you can make a blend shape between the two.

Phopojijo 03-11-2005 10:39 PM

Just a question -- are displacement maps keyframable?

If so he can create a Normal Map between the two objects, use

http://66.70.170.53/Ryan/heightmap/heightmap.html

that tool to turn it into a displacement map, then animate from off to on (or from 0 displacement to whatever displacement he wishes)

It won't use Blendshape, but should get the job done in that situation.

(while at the same time keyframing between the two shaders)

mtmckinley 04-11-2005 01:01 AM

I believe it is possible to key such a thing, but I believe it would take a lot longer to render.

Phopojijo 04-11-2005 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I believe it is possible to key such a thing, but I believe it would take a lot longer to render.
Don't mind me -- I was trained like a labrat to "think outside the box" on every situation possible. Obviously your method's quicker than generating a normal map (converting it to a displacement thereafter) and setting up a keyed shader animation -- then as stated your rendering slowdown.