Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Night Club (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21579)

tiddles 18-05-2006 08:57 AM

Night Club

1 Attachment(s)
G'day all,

As part of the music video I'm currently "working on" :headbang: ( http://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=21424 ), I find myself in need of a scene tracking through a night club / disco.

After putting it off for way too long, I made a start tonight. Thought I'd start with the dance floor and work my way around it. Any help or reference material would be greatly appreciated!

Note: Once this project is complete, the dancers will be replaced with compositied green screen footage of live performers. But for now I'll just have to settle for John Travolta & friends... ;)

Cheers....

tiddles 18-05-2006 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and another angle...

mirek03 18-05-2006 11:16 AM

g'day, another Ozzy, looks wild. are they models you have there ?? they are laying reflections??

looks like colourful video, a sign of things to come??

tiddles 18-05-2006 12:32 PM

Aussie - Aussie - Aussie .... sorry couldn't resist :blush:

The dancers are simply a nurb plane with a image texture. The image is a png file with a transparent background. I actually plan to replace the single image still with a image sequence. I will eventually shoot footage of people dancing infront of a green screen, then using after effects, remove the green and leave an alpha channe then save the result as an image sequence (TGA). Then insert this as an image sequence texture onto the nurb planes.

I've made some test of this in past and it works well. Also with a mentalray render, these digital characters cast reflections and leave shadows. If done right (and I hope I do it right) they can look really cool.

I will (over the next few days) add more & more to the room until its ready to populate. I'll try to post as much as I can....

gster123 18-05-2006 12:40 PM

Looks good,

How are you going to get the reflections on the floor of the people that you've taken from the green screen?? Mirroring in after effects and reducing the opacity of that layer?

edit - Sorry just read that your going to import the image sequence into maya.

You know i've always had problems importing images with a transparancy (either tif, gif targa etc with many different settings) maya just ignores them and renders them white to which I have to make a transparancy map to go over these damm bits!!

Just jumped to what I would have had a go at doing off the top of my head.

mirek03 18-05-2006 01:31 PM

yo dude, I'm pretty new to Maya, compared to the guys around here (but an expert at uni;) ) and I have often wondered about the 'film' icon in the hypershade menu, whatever it is, where all the shaders and 'file' and stuff like that is, anyway I have often been tempted to load it with film but somehow it scares me a little nut from what you said it appears to de a shader that can use , what, multiple files (tiff, tga, ) or can it do .avi also. That rave you just gave is a Tut in itself mate. great stuff and keep it coming, (or I'll rip your bloody arm off.)

tiddles 19-05-2006 12:26 AM

mirek03 - yes you can use that movie icon to import a .avi as a texture. You still need to check the 'Use Image Sequence' box or it will only show the 1st frame of the .avi. However, if you want to have an alpha channel (transparent area) in your texture, I suggest using an image sequence as it is very difficult to make a .avi with alpha. (PS - Aunty Jack is cool!)

gster123 - I too have had problems importing images with transparancy. After reading your post, I went back and looked at how I fixed it.

Firstly, Maya is very picky about how your image sequence is named. To use a sequence of image files to create an animation, the file names must be expressed in one of the following three formats:

name.#.ext
name.ext.#
name.#

Secondly, contrary to my previous post, I couln't get the alpha to work when importing a .tga sequence. After trying several things, I finally got it to work by using a .png sequence. So if you still want to try it, make a .png sequence using 1 of the 3 naming conventions listed above (I used name.#.png).

Also, I uploaded a short test shot using png sequence and a camera track - http://dhost.info/tiddles/3d_track_test01.wmv (RIGHT PICK - SAVE TARGET AS - only 1 MB)

Anyway, I better get back to this model... :headbang:

gster123 19-05-2006 10:30 AM

Ahh i've never tried a png, have to give it a go.

cheers for that.

tiddles 20-05-2006 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:: UPDATE ::

I havn't had a lot of time, so progress is kinda slow...

Roughed in a ceiling which I thought was interesting. I plan to add a large lighting rig suspended there so I wanted something with a bit of free space.

tiddles 20-05-2006 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now with some downlights...

tiddles 20-05-2006 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Different angle...

mirek03 21-05-2006 12:18 AM

man, you have got a great sense of humour, i laugh every time i look at John and his friends.

looks great, far from finished?????

haven't attempted the 'film' shader; time, time, time, Maya, takes a lot of time, and where did my life go :)

I have to write music for a couple (3) films in the next few months, one of them i just got yesterday and it is due in two weeks, guess I'll be breaking out 'reason 3' and 'rewire it to cubase' the instant music maker, how to be a star by pressing one key on the keyboard, but thats another story; the other side of the coin to your own video story, I emphasis.

do the 'go go'.., John and friends,

keep 'em coming mate

go Ozzy, or Aussie??

tiddles 21-05-2006 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:: UPDATE ::

Well, I've made a start on the lighting rig....

tiddles 21-05-2006 05:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This will be the upper ring. Below it will be a second larger one connected via trussed armes...

tiddles 21-05-2006 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1st Horizontal trussed arm connecting the upper ring to the collar tie...