Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   minimalist scene (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24767)

Radical Edward 24-01-2007 10:30 AM

minimalist scene

1 Attachment(s)
I really liked happymat27's cat animation and the way he did the scenery, so I made myself a slightly similar desktop, and also took the opportunity to learn a bit more about texturing and shaders. Here's the result. I'm not totally happy with the water, which I would have liked to be a bit choppy, but I couldn't be bothered to model the waves and things.

happymat27 24-01-2007 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the mention there Edward,

and glad you liked the animaion. You could use a bump map for the water surface, something like the attached image will provide a ripple effect. it took a few seconds in photoshop to make so if you were to spend a little more time it could look really cool.

Take it easy,

Mat.

NeoStrider 24-01-2007 12:28 PM

i'd bet any money that happymat27 just created the new 3d rage... forget dynamics, fluids, ncloth, particles, HDRI, or even global illumination - the future is in cardboard cutout sets. :P

mirek03 24-01-2007 08:30 PM

yes, forward into the past, regress and rebirth!! I feel my childhood coming on! (although I don't mind the occasional softbody,)

gster123 24-01-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NeoStrider
i'd bet any money that happymat27 just created the new 3d rage... forget dynamics, fluids, ncloth, particles, HDRI, or even global illumination - the future is in cardboard cutout sets. :P
The futures always been in cardboard cut outs, especially for the cash strapped single artist! He, he!

Nice little scene, you should make soem little characters to go in it too!

Radical Edward 25-01-2007 03:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the suggestion with the bump map, it works quite nicely I think:

happymat27 25-01-2007 05:39 AM

Nicely done Edward,

one last thing that I might suggest addressing would be the reflectivity of the ground. I thought it was two different light sources casting shadows at first but realised that it was the ground reflecting (my monitor needs seeing too I think!!). Anyway, on a personal note I think it would look better with a matt floor texture.

Nice work and a good idea for a wallpaper,

Mat.

Radical Edward 25-01-2007 05:53 AM

thanks. My idea is that I wanted the ground to take a bit of colour from the bushes, i.e. look slightly green, but final gather didn't do anything in this regard and I wasn't sure how to do that. Any ideas?

Just to note, the ground is a white plane only slightly larger than the area that the bushes is on and the camera background is white.

gster123 25-01-2007 06:06 AM

Use GI and caustics to get the colour bleed (the help files tell you all about them and the respective properties, more so that what, more so than what I could go into)

Cheers

mirek03 30-01-2007 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another suggestion, i ''painted' on the specular for the river and used raytracing, in this (another cardboard cutout), it is reflecting the blue of the sky

01-02-2007 01:27 PM

id say less bump effect on the river i think it could use more... shine

other than that cool work man:beer:

marlonjohn 02-02-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NeoStrider
haha soo true! cardboard cutout are the best looking things ever ... ;)