Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   dead harddisk (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7217)

BabyDuck 01-08-2003 10:33 AM

dead harddisk

well, i think it happens to everybody once in a while. my hdd in my notebook crashed. ok partly it was my fault as i accidentally bumped the notebook while it was running. but still, it does not change a bit that the old disk is now unuseable. what is the problem with notebook harddisks? are notebooks not supposed to be still alive when they do get bumped a bit? if you have to be treated as a raw egg, how are you to transport them - is not the idea that they are mobile?

i think i had enough rant for now. and i am slowly putting the installation back together - boring. the positive thing about it - i will have a fresh install on my new 30 gig drive (they dont sell 20 any more which i had before).

thanks for listening

Kevin 01-08-2003 11:50 AM

poor old duck!

I am the master at blowing up hard drives :(

BabyDuck 01-08-2003 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kevin
poor old duck!

I am the master at blowing up hard drives :(

ok thanks for the nice words. but not when you are the master - aehm - i am no longer considering you my hero - i dont want to blow up more disks :p

;)

Kurt 01-08-2003 12:35 PM

happened to me last week=(

BabyDuck 01-08-2003 12:43 PM

kurt, at least we are in this boat together. sorry to hear about it.

Darkware 02-08-2003 01:24 AM

Yeah, as some of you know, Windows had a big fat error and crashed on me about a month ago. Still haven't gotten that fixed. At least it wasn't my Maya computer.

Alan 02-08-2003 09:40 AM

happened to me about a month ago lost 40gig..... got most of it back thru old backups but still lost loads.

Sorry mr ducky..... take it out on the old one..... :banghead:

Alan

dragonfx 02-08-2003 10:09 AM

always have it partitioned in two... and one windows installation in each partition... af the error isnt excessibly catastrophical you can retrieve info from one parition to the other...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
solid state nanomachined storage... cant wait for it...

BabyDuck 02-08-2003 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dragonfx
always have it partitioned in two... and one windows installation in each partition... af the error isnt excessibly catastrophical you can retrieve info from one parition to the other...

thanks for that advice, i always partition the drive into more than 2 partitions. but when i say dead, i mean dead. not just one partition, but the whole drive. and unfortunately you can only stuff one hdd in a notebook - or i would have 2 and manually mirror my data to be on both physical drives.

Witchy 02-08-2003 03:43 PM

I'm really sad and back the whole thing up via Norton Ghost every once in a while. Had a HDD simply die (start PC, whirr click, erm) and now have developed an unhealthy paranoia every time the current one spins up or is just 'there'. I am about to buy a second HDD for backing up as well. One never thinks of these things until stuff implodes.

Ultragames 02-08-2003 09:52 PM

They are mobile. But your not supposed to carry them around turned on. They are ment to go in a park, and sit stil in your lap, or to go from work to home, to the car... ect.

I am amazed my back up HDD hasnt died yet. Being that it is a 4gig that hasnt been made in 7 years.