Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   April Challenge - el_newty - Normal - (WARNING - Slight Nudity) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4933)

el_newty 02-04-2003 06:57 AM

April Challenge - el_newty - Normal

1 Attachment(s)
Ok guys,

I found a theme for this month challenge...is...DEMONA! :D
Yes I'll try to model DEMONA.
She's a lady gargoyle. ;)
I think this will be a very great opportunity to learn new things in Maya modeling, because until now I've never made so complex models.(thats why I chose her)

Here is a sketch of her, i found it on the net, but I know that every body heard about those famous cartoons with GOLIATH & DEMONA...

M 02-04-2003 07:30 AM

Ah sweet, the gargoyle off of that tv series! This should be great! Hope you pull through this time el-newty :D.

Garry1953 02-04-2003 09:28 AM

Nice choice.

Kevin 02-04-2003 09:48 AM

looks interesting... atough choice but a nice choice

el_newty 03-04-2003 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Helo to everybody,

Yesterday I started to model DEMONA... :)
Until now I managed to make the basic shape of her body, it's not much, but it's something and besides it's low poly.
To convince you here an immage of her with show poly count active.

el_newty 03-04-2003 04:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's me again...
like I said, it's only a basic shape ;)

M 03-04-2003 07:19 AM

Hey, its taking form! I know i have seen a lot of people on this board use the same technique. Then work your way around adding more and more detail as you go! Hopefully this works out good for you too el-newty! Should be great!

el_newty 03-04-2003 08:06 AM

Yes in deed...

It's taking form and as you thoroughgoing study the model with more and more details as complicated will become, but this is the best part of CG modeling.

Aren't you agree with me guys?

Pony 04-04-2003 02:45 AM

yeah I think so.. that was pritty fast that you got that out.

el_newty 08-04-2003 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeap, I'm back again with some details.
I will start to build her the wings.

Here is how she looks so far...

el_newty 08-04-2003 07:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the leading bones parts for the wings.
Unfortunatly more details will come tomorrow, if I have time to continue.
For moment I'm very busy at the work and I don't know if I'll be able to make more today.
Anyway c&c's are welcomed.

el_newty 09-04-2003 05:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK,
I added some details and here is how it looks so far...
In wireframe...

el_newty 09-04-2003 05:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And a render...

I'm waiting C&C's

ereitz 09-04-2003 06:46 AM

okay el_newty - some c & c :)

looking good - i like the curves of the wings and the detail you have there

the anatomy of the woman could use a more exact reference - have you tried working with an image plane? i can see that you'll probably work on detail for some parts like the arms so i'll stick to one part - the upper body - breasts sit on top of the breast plate - women have similar (usually smaller) pectorals as a man - your breasts look like they're hanging straight down while in reality they would be sitting at an angle - try thinking of breaking it into components - if you think of it in terms of anatomy you'll get the idea - even if you are going for a more comic exagerated look you'll want to have those components - one traditional way of looking at anatomy is sketching the figure in straight lines for the bones and fleshing the musculature out in spherical forms - balls for the shoulders - elongated spheres for the biceps - two flattened spheres for the breasts hang on an upper body shape and underneathe is one for the rib cage -

I think i should make an example to show you what I mean but unfortunately it is too late for me to use the scanner - in a room where someone sleeps. If you keep in your minds eye those different components of the body and try to show those components on the body - even if you're not 100 percent clear how they are - you may be surprised at the results. Your eye will tell you when something is not right but just by trying to define your shoulder muscle for example you are probably going to make a much more realistic shoulder.

all this i'm talking about is exactly what i'm working on so it's coming directly out of my ongoing experience of learning how to model.

Witchy 09-04-2003 05:09 PM

The wings are looking great they have a really nice look to them.

I agree on the points Ereitz has raised-you might want to bring the breasts in and raise them up a tad- the concept has quite small breasts too. The only other point would be the spikes on the knees- I know she is drawn like that but if she had a bumpy landing she'd impale herself!