Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   My next preject (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31223)

elephantinc 27-10-2008 06:33 AM

My next preject

as you may have guessed from my thread "Short film ideas" I have no idea what to do next

I want to finally animate something but i just cant think of anything

any ideas?

AikoWorld 27-10-2008 06:50 AM

Hey hey there.

If i have no clue. What so ever.
Then i watch tv shows, films, comic books, random googling

And this inspires me pretty fast if i`m stuck.

If thats not your tin can.

Then do something you dreamed of when you where 10 or 12 years old. Or do something you miss from your childhood.

Maybe animate that cool little GI Joe man you played till the legs dropped off.

Hope it Helps!

NitroLiq 27-10-2008 07:02 AM

Aside from getting your feet wet with a bouncing ball, a typical thing to start rigging/animating would be a flour sack or something like that. To get an idea of what kind of stuff can be done with this, go rent Disney's "Aladdin" and observe the way they gave humanistic qualities to the flying carpet. Or look at any commercial where a product is animated. It's a good way to get started...the rigs aren't too complex...and it's a good real-world application.

Aside from that, if you don't want to rig and want to concentrate on the animation itself, search around for a simple rigged character (as in made from primitives) and have at it. If you visit the animationmentor site, you'll find links to student blogs that show off what they do with simple characters which may serve as some inspiration.

AikoWorld 27-10-2008 07:12 AM

btw how come 2 topics on the same subject?

elephantinc 28-10-2008 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AikoWorld
Hey hey there.

If i have no clue. What so ever.
Then i watch tv shows, films, comic books, random googling

And this inspires me pretty fast if i`m stuck.

If thats not your tin can.

Then do something you dreamed of when you where 10 or 12 years old. Or do something you miss from your childhood.

Maybe animate that cool little GI Joe man you played till the legs dropped off.

Hope it Helps!

The main problem is I never dreamed of anything when i was little
I dreamed of getting a good job and a nice house, with a dog

.....I had no childhood

when i watch TV shows and films the only ideas i can think of are the exact thing that ive just watched

and i dont just want to animate random stuff

@aikoworld (second post) the first one was on HOW to think of ideas and this one is begging for ideas because nothing i try works

BennyK 28-10-2008 05:30 AM

Quote:

The main problem is I never dreamed of anything when i was little I dreamed of getting a good job and a nice house, with a dog .....I had no childhood
Well, that's something too. Why not make a film about a kid doing some crazy stuff and then wakes up to a normally perfect life?
You just need to analyze thing deeper. There's inspiration to be found in everything... Take an object and think about how it's made, what it can be used for(realistic or imaginary), what memories it brings up etc. sooner or later you'll find something interesting.

Benny

AikoWorld 28-10-2008 07:57 AM

ah gotcha.

Ok well read a book if you dont have your own ideas, read comics.

LauriePriest 28-10-2008 08:29 AM

lol argh i completely relate to your position elephantic. You just have to start somwhere, before i started art (i started relatively late), i used to be awfull for ideas, because my linework was crap i didnt have the confidence to just let go and express anything.

Do somthing super loose that has very little grounding on traditional asthetic. Get somthing like charcoal, wet ink , anything doesnt have to be art supplies and just make shapes man. Its like trying to find shapes in clouds or bubble bath.

If you watch certain programs and read certain types of books its inevitable that any ideas you have will be relatively cliched. These are ideas that have allready been interprted artisticaly, if you start loose or look at abstract works that you arnt used to and think of how they could form part of the world, to start off ignore a story line just think of a premise.

Here are a few things to think about, these are underlieing premises you see all the time, its the interpretation thats is yours:

-abstraction, worlds with differnt rules of physicis, light could be solid oooo endless
-scale, worlds beyound our vision
-anthropomorphic characters, What would a elephant do if it had a day where it could think like a human?
-inanimate objects, the drawing comes to life oooh
(the above two are basically disney, their interpretatoins are endless though)
-combination, what would happen if you mixed a horse with a sheep, how would that horsheep feel about that.
(i love this one for starting off, e.g. monkey + hammer in an echer painting)

A thing to do would be to write down two columbs, one with objects, places, people and the other with contexts and then randomly link two togeather and see what you think of.

e.g.
egg war
crystal mystery
ant lunchtime

This is a bit of a lecture i know but i hope it helps :)

elephantinc 29-10-2008 06:00 PM

:lightbulb:

I went to the stock cars last night and there were no crashes at all
and i thought of doing an action movie with extremely ridicules stunts, like mocking die hard or something similar

I could combine it with elephants, poachers or a lion or the like could kill a baby elephants mother and the baby elephant suddenly goes macho. Queue mindless action
it would be perfect because i love elephants and like messing around with effects

although now i realise Jsprogg had a similar idea a few months ago with rambi

what do you think?

Chirone 29-10-2008 06:08 PM

it sounds like it could be entertaining :)
a good challenge for you too

you should have something more comical than a poacher or lion
something people wouldn't normally expect but still somewhat plausible

elephantinc 29-10-2008 10:26 PM

I thought about doing it over something really minor, like someone accidently stands on his foot. That might be funnier

gster123 29-10-2008 11:16 PM

If you need a lion you can have mine...... at a price! Nah if you really want it give me a shout, as loong as you dont pass it off as yours!

elephantinc 29-10-2008 11:58 PM

but I want to say I did everything

so you finished the lion?

elephantinc 31-10-2008 12:16 AM

alternatively i could use a mouse

it might be more comical yet still plausible (in people minds that is, the fact is that elephant's eye sight is so poor that they cant even see mice...)

the mouse could be scaring one of the elephants friends and the elephant really overreacts

it would be a good opportunity for me to practice fur as well

Chirone 31-10-2008 10:16 AM

are you goign to have your hero elephant turn real buff? haha, that would be funny to see... a muscular elephant breaking down walls to kill the mouse... haha