Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Right-Click was working, Now Changed? Not sure what I have done??? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35243)

warthoggraphics 06-03-2011 10:49 PM

Right-Click was working, Now Changed? Not sure what I have done???

4 Attachment(s)
OK, very new to Maya, I have been getting my head around it, and in the process I have selected either the wrong keyboard shortcut or shirt instead of crtl, etc… but I have lost the ability to select object, faces, edges, etc from all viewports except the perspective window.

I now only have the correct setting for when I right-click the mouse in the perspective windows (please see attached image 02-03-2011 14-41-58.jpg (the second image)).

If I then right-click on any object in any of the other windows (top, front, side) I get a different window (see attached image 02-03-2011 14-41-32.jpg (the first image)).

Really could do with a hand to point out where I have gone wrong / or what I have done to cause this, tried quitting out, but still the same when Maya re-starts, really annoying as cannot finish of my tutorial.

So please help!! Beg Beg, Would really appreciate helping me (the thickie) out…

If it helps I have also noticed that at the same time that this happened I noticed that I cannot just click on an object to select it, but when I left click to select an object I get a list of all of the objects that I could select on appear as opposed to whatever I am selecting? really annoying and cannot get rid of this, as do not know how??? (see attached image 06-03-2011 12-13-13.jpg (the thrid image)) PLEASE HELP.....

Also here is another issue, here i am right-clicking on a curve to try to select 'control vertex', but when i right-click i get the following menu appear and not the option to select control-vertex, etc.... (see attached image 06-03-2011 12-32-24.jpg (the forth image)).

stwert 07-03-2011 01:52 AM

Hmm, strange. Might be best to rename your prefs folder (old_prefs) and then delete it. Maya will create a new set of default prefs, which often sorts out weird behaviour.

warthoggraphics 07-07-2012 11:43 AM

Now thought I would give Maya another go and installed the trial for Maya 2013 and still got this issue, but on two new PC's with different video cards, so I take it Maya has not fixed this yet????

NextDesign 07-07-2012 03:53 PM

What kind of mouse do you have?

ctbram 07-07-2012 06:36 PM

You have way to much going on here and so it's hard to diagnose. I would recommend Stewarts suggestion and simply rename you Maya folder (close maya first). On windows that maya folder is in the documents directory.

The next time you start maya all the preferences will be set back to the defaults and whtever mode(s) you have turned on should be reset.

Maya like all the major 3D apps have lots of hotkeys and so you must be careful especially when pressing the ctrl, alt and shift keys. Unmodified key presses can also get you messed up the most common two are the "b-key" for soft select mode, and the "s-key" for setting keyframes.

So try to be careful but remember you can always get back to the defaults by renaming or deleting the Maya preferences folder in the Documents directory.

What I like to do is after I set up my shelfs and my own hotkeys I save a copy of this folder and when I inevitably turn on some odd mode I simply replace the folder with this backup.

warthoggraphics 08-07-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NextDesign (Post 340103)
What kind of mouse do you have?

I dont think this is a mouse Issue! I have just in case you were right tried another mouse and this does the same, it is a NORMAL off the shelf mouse, nowt special!

warthoggraphics 08-07-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctbram (Post 340105)
You have way to much going on here and so it's hard to diagnose. I would recommend Stewarts suggestion and simply rename you Maya folder (close maya first). On windows that maya folder is in the documents directory.

I have tried the preferences option, and even tried installing on a new system, and every time i get the same thing happen, in that it is OK up until I try to modify a curve in the orthorgraphic views and then I cannot continue because this issue appears!, I have even tried just making a new scene and just having a new curve in this, and still the same thing! It seems to be a bug that must be work aroundable or an option that needs to be switchjed off somewhere, but cannot find anything on the web, except loads of people have had the same issue and Autodesk are NO help.

Quote:

The next time you start maya all the preferences will be set back to the defaults and whtever mode(s) you have turned on should be reset.

Yep done this....

Quote:

Maya like all the major 3D apps have lots of hotkeys and so you must be careful especially when pressing the ctrl, alt and shift keys. Unmodified key presses can also get you messed up the most common two are the "b-key" for soft select mode, and the "s-key" for setting keyframes.

I am sure this is the problem, but what ever I hit is not saved in the preferences and replacing the preferences does not have an effect on the issue, in that it is still there when you load the scene, so it must be saved in the scene file, I can start a new scene and the problem is NOT there, Until I try to edit a curve in say the front view, I can create a new scene, not have any curves in it, make a box, right click and see the correct menu options, such as face, vertex etc in the 'front' view, but if i then make a curve (and it does not matter what type of curve), then if i go into ANY orthographic view and right click, the issue has re-appeared and I cannot access the curve at all!

Quote:

So try to be careful but remember you can always get back to the defaults by renaming or deleting the Maya preferences folder in the Documents directory.

What I like to do is after I set up my shelfs and my own hotkeys I save a copy of this folder and when I inevitably turn on some odd mode I simply replace the folder with this backup.

Thanks for the help anyway, we would love to move to Maya, but just cannot get any support here in the UK, not Pre-Sales and FREE anyway, not unless we purchase the software, and we cant afford to purchase a product that we cannot get to work, not when things are as tight as they are over here.

Thanks anyway.

Chris

PixalZA 08-07-2012 01:36 PM

Hi Chris
Can you upload a copy of the scene file with all the geo deleted except the curve and pCylinder8?

warthoggraphics 08-07-2012 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PixalZA (Post 340116)
Hi Chris
Can you upload a copy of the scene file with all the geo deleted except the curve and pCylinder8?

OK, I have to point out here I am VERY new to Maya, so when you say 'geo deleted except the curve and pCylinder8' I think you are on about when we previously tried to get Maya working, back a year or so, those scenes are no more, I have just zipped up the scene from our latest attempt with the same problem.

I really hope this helps, it is MUCH appreciated that you can take the time to look at it for me, fingers crossed!

PixalZA 08-07-2012 04:34 PM

Hi Chris, I sent you a PM.