Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   March/April - JSprogg - noob (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10912)

jsprogg 11-03-2004 04:35 PM

March/April - JSprogg - noob

ok I finally gave in and decided to have a go , if only for the pushing experience to help delvelop.I have only been using Maya or any 3D app for 3 weeks so I guess that is considered noob so go easy guys ..lol.
My basic idea was to create an ancient scene that is not real but could well be , maybe even some race of people from a distant planet that might have once settled here.
I have made a start but not got many details in yet ,most notably the stairs...but if you look close the structures central ornament on the top is a sacrificial font.
here a quick start preview.

Bambus 11-03-2004 05:36 PM

Somehow I can't see the attached pic. Don't know if it's me or something went wrong posting it.
Good luck with your concept.

Greetz 4ng3l

jsprogg 11-03-2004 06:15 PM

thanks 4ng ...I have sent a message to the moderators to confirm whether the pic is visable.
I hopr this problem can be rectified :)

jsprogg 11-03-2004 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok here are the images separately..hope they can be seen :

jsprogg 11-03-2004 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres another with some more detail...I am thinking of maybe setting this center structure in a small lake among hills with the dwellings bridges to the main sacrificial area.
Not sure how far I can get with this, I have never even done any texturing but it's still fun to try and learn.

dragonsfire 11-03-2004 08:19 PM

Nice Start :)

Bambus 11-03-2004 09:05 PM

nice indeed :D

4ng3l

twisteddragon33 11-03-2004 10:49 PM

What the size of it. Compared to say a 6ft person?

jsprogg 11-03-2004 11:02 PM

twisted a valid question and something I have given a lot of thought to ....and viewing the started project I can see a bit of scale tweaking will be needed..:)
a six foot person will no bigger than just over the hieght of the topmost font.

maybe the stair tourches need shortening..????
I might even make the structure a slightly bigger scale, i will see how my thoughts develope in the next day or two.

spekkio 12-03-2004 05:08 AM

wow, your 3 weeks of learning really paid off..nice work! :)

jsprogg 12-03-2004 03:17 PM

background

1 Attachment(s)
ok the general theme for this is it's an very ancient vampire city,hence the sacrificial stuff.
I have added a bit more detail and now I am working on statues and alters ect....then on to the harder stuff of creatng the surrounding scenery and buildings.
Learning loads tho even if I might not have the skill to texture the damn thing ...hehe.
heres an update.

jsprogg 12-03-2004 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a closer look at the where the suffering takes place :)

Alan 12-03-2004 03:24 PM

It's looking quite interesting. You should do a couple of things though:

1. Increase your shadow map size to remove those artifacts.

Give the bowl some depth. At the moment it looks too thin.

:)

Alan

jsprogg 12-03-2004 03:44 PM

thanks alan for the advice ....I was dreading your honest coments but happy to listen..lol.
how would I go about increasing the shadow map btw ?
an the bowl will be taken care of :)

jsprogg 13-03-2004 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok here is rough idea of what the environment might look like ..ignore the scale of the structure to the background as I will correct this at a later time :)