Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Manipulator tool went poof! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27407)

Rhea 05-09-2007 06:06 PM

Manipulator tool went poof!

I was working on a file in maya and i realized the manipulator tool was completely gone! i tried everything to bring it back, using the show manipulator tool etc etc and +/- and nothing has worked. even when i transfer the file between different computers the problem remains. An earlier version of the file that I saved has no such problems and the manipulator tool works fine.

At one point my friend was fiddling with maya and the manipulator tool reappeared again! I dont know what he did but about a few minutes later it had disappeared again. I have had no such luck since.

Seriously, does anyone know what the heck is going on? Even my Maya instructor was at a loss.

happymat27 05-09-2007 07:38 PM

Hey there Rhea,

is the manipulator visible in other scene files or has it completely gone from all files?

Mat.

Rhea 05-09-2007 10:35 PM

well the file in question references some other scene files and has some objects from scene files exported into it, but it is only this .mb file that has the problem.

other maya (.mb) files on my computer are fine, even an earlier version of the file in question is fine.

some information that might be useful: I was working on 2 different computers when creating the file, when at home i would work on it, save it, put it on a usb key and then transfer it to the computer in class, then save it, transfer it to the computer at home, etc etc. unfortunately i wasnt copying the whole project file over, just the .mb file. i heard that wasnt good procedure. but could it have caused this problem? i did it to other files too and they are still fine.

argh!:confused:

IHaRMoNiC 21-09-2007 02:13 PM

Hi Rhea,

I had a similar problem. None of my manipulators were showing up in Perspective view but somehow they showed up in earlier iterations of the project.

This is what I did that brought them back:

Try going to "Show" -> "Manipulators".

*Even if it's already checked, un-check it and re-check it*

For some odd reason, it worked.

Hopefully this works for you.

P.S.
I've tried the whole "press -/+", "update/re-install video card drivers" solutions and they didn't work - so I'm guessing the problem I had (and this solution) was different than all those other/similar posts.

dave_baer 23-09-2007 08:35 PM

Is it possible that they are off centered and just out of view? Try selecting the object in question then going to Modify > Center Pivot.

If not, then it may be possible that they shrunk beyond view. Try holding down the '+' key and see if they get bigger.

If that doesn't work, try deleting the PREFS folder under your C:/Documents and Settings/(USER)/My Documents/maya/(version #) and see if that resolves it.

Rhea 24-09-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by IHaRMoNiC

I had a similar problem. None of my manipulators were showing up in Perspective view but somehow they showed up in earlier iterations of the project.

This is what I did that brought them back:

Try going to "Show" -> "Manipulators".

*Even if it's already checked, un-check it and re-check it*

For some odd reason, it worked.

Hopefully this works for you.

OH. MY. GOD. two months of absolute pain, and i was just about ready to throw in the towel and lose countless hours of work. THANK YOU SO MUCH. it actually worked! I am flabergasted. and also. how the hell did this ever happen?? lol. i seriously cant thank you enough. I hope others read this with the same problem and it helps them. thats all i can say. WOW.