Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   gravity problem (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24556)

marlonjohn 09-01-2007 02:01 PM

gravity problem

hey guys, well since i havnt touched gravity/dynamics for quiet a while i decided to brush up on it. when i try to add gravity to a ball/object or anything, an error comes up saying: "Error: pSphere1 owns no fields. Please select a field or an object which owns one." it seems there is no fields? what is that...

thanks, marlon

gster123 09-01-2007 02:03 PM

Seems a bit strange, hae you checked using the connection editor if the field is connected to the object?

marlonjohn 09-01-2007 02:18 PM

wow thanks for the quick response. ermm there seems to be nothing in the connection editor when i look, am i doing something wrong?

gster123 09-01-2007 02:38 PM

When your creating the field you should select the sphere then create the field.

If you want to you can connect the field to the objet by selecting the object then going to fields and selecting the graviey field.

marlonjohn 09-01-2007 02:50 PM

i do select the sphere then create the field but nothing happends and error pops up. this is wierd usually along time ago i just have to select the object and create gravity field but not anymore.

do you think it can be something else like in an option where i have accidently disabled gravity or some sort?

gster123 09-01-2007 02:52 PM

Dont think so but you might have???

Have you tried connecting it via the connection editor?

marlonjohn 09-01-2007 03:04 PM

i have kind of tryed but i think im doing something wrong or missing a step, can you tell me the proper steps of doing that... thanks

gster123 09-01-2007 03:13 PM

Go to window->relationships editors->Dynamic Relationships

then you should see a list of items on the left select your sphere an then the gravity field should be displayed, if its highlighted then its connected to the sphere if its not then connect it by selectin the gravity field. see if that works man.

marlonjohn 09-01-2007 03:29 PM

its not highlighted so then i connected it... but i think it still dosnt work because when i press play on the time/range slider my object/sphere dosnt roll down a 45degree floor(plane) it dosnt even budge and move an inch. wierd,

gster123 09-01-2007 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Strange that dude, does this work?

Its a simple poly ball on a poly plane with a gravity field attached to the sphere.

see if it works on your system (its in maya 6.0 by the way)

marlonjohn 09-01-2007 03:43 PM

(im using maya 7.0 btw)
wow it works ... why isnt it happen to me! arrghh...

i wanted to see and fiddle around with the scene to see if i can try to create a ball and attach gravity to it and this is what happends...

i created a sphere and attached gravity to it, at 0.1 seconds i see at the bottum right the error come up but then another one comes up, "Error: No object matches name: |". i also added create active riggid body to the new sphere and now when i play the scene, after both of the balls hit the ground my ball just starts to rise slowly like theres no gravity?

gster123 09-01-2007 03:46 PM

Strange???

I might be upgrading soon to maya 8, from uni, not too sure if im looking forward to it though.

marlonjohn 11-01-2007 06:04 AM

hmm wierd...

"I might be upgrading soon to maya 8, from uni, not too sure if im looking forward to it though."

yeah i woudnt aswell but we might all have to learn it sometime in the future maybe, you might get a headstart :P

just wondering, can you post a picture of your gravity option box so i can see if i have accidently changed and clicked on something else. thanks,

does anyone else know the problem or should i just reinstall maya 7?

marlon

gster123 11-01-2007 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go, a screen grab of my gravity field settings, its just the default.

Dunno what it could be, maybe delete your preferences??

marlonjohn 11-01-2007 07:15 AM

WOOOOHOOOO!

your gravity option box was the exact same as mine... out of no where i just felt like going to Edit --> Reset Settings... and it worked. and it didnt even change anything, wierd. Thanks for your help Gster ;)

Marlon