Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lighting & Rendering (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   heap size limit set to 800 MB (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28795)

kazama 24-01-2008 10:57 PM

heap size limit set to 800 MB

I'm having big troubles rendering some proyects.
Metal ray just stops rendering and goes flushing flushing and flushing!! Dont know what to do. It goes out of memory.
Things like :
MEM 0.2 info : allocation of 11828204 bytes failed: flushing
MEM 0.2 info : try '-memory 275' for future runs
Plz need help im having this problems for way to long now..
And right now im working in some own proyect, is like a futuristic city for a character and his motorcycle, but i cant even render the girl and the bike together.. so plz!

bendingiscool 24-01-2008 11:20 PM

Does this happen with all the stuff you try and render? for instance have you tried just rendering say a sphere or cube to see whether its the renderer that is screwing up rather than perhaps a corrupt file or such.

Chris

kazama 24-01-2008 11:32 PM

Well, sometimes for example, Im doing test renders of some scene or something and like the first 3 or 4 test it renders well, but then runs out of memory and I have to close the Maya, because is like it crash and I have to opened again.
It happends to me always, with diferent scenes.
At the moment, my motorcycle renders well, and also my character, but If i import one of the scenes to the other, I cant render, it goes flushing.
In the help of maya I found this:

Fine displacement critically depends on the specification of a cache size limit, because otherwise the fine tessellation results would not flow through the cache but accumulate until memory runs out. mental ray has a default cache limit of 512 MB.

A good choice is half the amount of physical RAM, or 500-800 MB on 32-bit machines, whichever is smaller. If the number is too large, the operating system may run out of virtual address space; if it is too small, mental ray will perform too many cache flush operations.

.. but It dosent say where I can increment the memory limit.

leonlabyk 25-01-2008 06:34 PM

Are you using the batch render.

kazama 25-01-2008 06:58 PM

When this issues start to happend, not even the batch render works.. Normaly i use the preview? that white control.. because im just changing textures or something.. and need to check how is looking and stuff like that. But I have try the batch when this starts to happend, and its the same. I even put preview mode on the render globals, or change the resolution to something really small, like 190 or something, and its the same.

bendingiscool 25-01-2008 07:43 PM

Can't really think of a way of fixing this off the top of my head, if it keeps persisting you could always try un-installing and reinstalling Maya.

Chris

kazama 25-01-2008 07:46 PM

ok, but if you find something, plz let me know, because this happends at home, and in the machine at work.

leonlabyk 25-01-2008 07:49 PM

Couple of things that may help.

Have you tried using the clean up scene at all since this may help.

How many texture files are you using and what size are they. Anything over 2k can cause probs.

kazama 25-01-2008 07:56 PM

No i have not, but I have hear of that option and I know where it is, but one question:
If i use that option and i lose something important, if I dont save the scene, I dont lose anything right?
Is because I dont know if that option delete files from the database or someting like that.

leonlabyk 25-01-2008 08:07 PM

As long as you save it as a different file your original should be fine. You could save the original to a disk if you want to be certain though.

kazama 25-01-2008 08:09 PM

Ok thanks

xiaoyu0706 30-11-2009 07:14 AM

Good job

NextDesign 02-12-2009 03:21 AM

There are a lot of unanswered questions. Such as how much memory do you have on your machine, how many processors, what version of Maya, is your OS 64 bit? If you give us this information, it will be easier for us to determine the culprit.

Also, what size is your paging file?