Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Tell Us About Yourself (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26329)

Rhetoric Camel 20-05-2007 03:53 AM

Tell Us About Yourself

Tell us about yourself

Hello to everyone. Just because I like to get to know people that I talk to on a regular basis (meaning all of you at simply maya) I figured I'd start this thread. I didn't see one when I did a search so if I missed it I'm sorry.

This is for everyone to participate, even you people with no posts that just lurk in the background. Let this be your first post, it'll get you in the mood to participate more.

Where In The World Are You?
I'm in Plattsburgh, NY, USA. About 30 minutes from the Canadian border. Can walk to Lake Champlain in about 5 minutes from my house. I used to live near Albany, NY but moved out of my parents house because at the time I was 20 and needed to not live with them anymore.

What do you do?
Right now I'm working for a company called Fujitsu making U-Scan machines, which basically translates to, I'm making self checkout machines for grocery stores. Not the best job, but it's decent pay and I'm able to do what I need to do. Nice work environment for a warehouse (I've worked quite a few factory/warehouses and this is probably the best)
I'm looking into taking online classes at the academyart.edu for 3d graphics and animation. Having a tough time figuring out the route I want to take with school. If anyones done the online schooling at academy of art institute let me know how it works. I don't want to have to travel across the country to go to school. I have to much here that I can't leave behind.

How old are you now, how long ago did you start using maya
I'm going to be 24 on June 8th. I started using maya in October of '06 randomly messing around with stuff in it to get a feel for it, then around end of november, or december I decided to start taking it more seriously and been doing a few tutorials here and there but trying to create my own models with the tutorials instructions.

What got you into maya/3d graphics?
Believe it or not I was on wikipedia looking at South Park, or one of the creaters pages on there and saw that they used maya on South Park and it got me wondering what it was like. And then I found out other movies that used maya and that started hooking me right there. My mom has always tried pushing me to go into computer graphics and I always did the opposite of what she told me until I came to my sences and realized my mom and the magnet on my moms fridge is right, it says "House Rules: #1 Mom is always right. #2 If Mom is wrong, see rule number 1"

Besides 3d and computers what else do you enjoy?
When I'm not at my computer (which unfortunately isn't that often) I like to play guitar, and put songs together, using my guitar as a bass and using fruity loops to make drum beats with drum samples I've got. I've always wanted to be in a band but no one (in my area) is into the same type of music and experimentation I'm into.
I also like to just hang out with friends, go to the bar, and the other typical things you'd expect from a 24 year old living in a college town.
Hiking, fishing, bike riding, walking my dog, RELAXING, yes relaxing is the one of my favorite things to do.

Your favorite type of music
I always like to ask this because music has always been a huge thing in my life. I grew up listening to the hippie music my parents lisened to, Pink Floyd, the Doors, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix.... I also am a huge fan of the early '90's grundge (I'll be the first to admit I still live as if it's still the early '90's, flannel shirt, ripped jeans, long hair... you know, the typical grundge look). Favorite bands of that time are Nirvana (if you saw me you wouldn't have to be told that), STP, Alice In Chains, The Melvins.... I am also a big fan of Prog. Rock, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Camel... Some metal, Opeth, Isis, Mastadon.... blues and jazz are big parts of my music collection to. Leadbelly, Bill Frisell, Nick Drake.... I could name bands that I like for days and days, but I'll leave it at this. I don't listen to much modern music it all seems to dissapoint me quite a bit. If I do listen to something modern it most likely doesn't get airplay on local radio stations or on tv.

Alright now your turn to answer these questions. Don't be shy answer 'em with full answers!

Joopson 20-05-2007 04:27 AM

im in Ipswich, Massachusetts.

What do you do?
i go to school :-\

i am 15, i started when i was 13 or 14

i was learning flash, and i heard of maya so i downloaded ple 6! i loved it, so i continued

i love playing the flute, and i love survival things.

i REALLY love the band Jethro Tull, they are so good!

Rhetoric Camel 20-05-2007 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joopson

i REALLY love the band Jethro Tull, they are sooooo good! [/B]
I'm a huge fan of Jethro Tull, and even Ian Andersons solo stuff. I saw them live in 2003 in Mass. Heres from a Jethro Tull Tour guide

Aug. 12, 2003 Tanglewood Lenox, Ma. USA
The first Tull concert to include an orchestra, the Tanglewood Festival Orchestra (not the Boston Symphony Orchestra).
Jon's birthday
Aqua-Intro¹, Living In The Past¹, Some Day The Sun Won't Shine¹, Beside Myself¹, Pavane¹, Thick As A Brick, Elegy, In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff, Dot Com, Greensleeved, Bourée - [Interval] - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen¹, Fat Man¹, Eurology¹, Too Old To Rock'N'Roll..., Aqualung (inst.)/Aquadiddley, My God, Budapest, Mayhem Jig¹/Locomotive Breath¹/Cheerio (inst.)
¹: Just Tull
All others: Tull + orchestra.

Me and my friends traveled about 6 hours and got lost on our way there, didn't have tickets because the show didn't sell out and we were going to pick them up there. we were late, got there for the second half, they didn't have tickets for sale anymore. The girls we were with asked the security nicely to let us in and told them our 6 hour journey and they let us in. Instead of paying the $40 at the door for a ticket I spent $40 (which is kind of a lot if you ask me) on a tour T-Shirt, for memory. I wear it a lot.

Glad to see another Jethro Tull fan, I've contemplated buying a flute and learning it because of that band.

Joopson 20-05-2007 07:11 AM

yeah, i like his solo work too... i went to see him last year :attn:

anyway, its nice to see another Tull fan too ^_^

thats why i bought a flute last may :attn:

Perfecto 20-05-2007 11:28 AM

I'm in Tennessee

What do you do?
I'm an Air Quality Technicial. Basically I build computer equipment that monitors pollution going into our atmosphere.

I'm 37 and I started March of this year.

Mostly a recent interest in animated movies.

Songwriting, watching animated movies, spending time with family and serving God. Also recently started drawing.

Contemporary Christian, but will listen to just about anything as long as lyrics are clean. (I grew up listening to hard rock and heavy metal).

Weyu 20-05-2007 12:03 PM

-I am in Stockholm that is located in Sweden.

What do you do?

-I am studying my last semester in my 12th class and soon I'm going to be an unemployed person. :) But after a year I plan to go back to studying, either 3d graphics or economics.

-I am 18 years old and I started using Maya for almost exactly one year ago.

-Painting warhammer or playing monopoly with my friends, I also enjoys quiet taverns.(Indeed we are a weird group)

Well I'm really fond of folkmusic and rock.

20-05-2007 05:23 PM

Oh man, I wanted to start a topic like this! :(

I live in Plano, Illinois. I live in a fairly new subdivision (Which means they have tons single family homes, duplexes, and townhomes in one gigantic area) in a duplex, although my neighbor is home 1-2 days out of the week. If you‘ve ever been around the area where I live (Around the Aurora area), you know that houses are expensive.

What do you do?
I‘m homeschooled and in 10th grade. :attn:

How old are you now, how long ago did you start using maya?
IÕm 14 years old (Yeah, you‘re probably thinking how I‘m 14 and in 10th grade, let‘s just say that I‘m a genius ;) ). I started using Maya around June last year and took some Lynda training for Maya. I started really getting into Maya around December ‘06. Am I the youngest one here? :confused:

I went to a Macworld (Boston) when I was around 10 and they were showing off this product called Animation: Master. I tried to get my dad to buy it for me, but he wouldn‘t. I then started using Flash for animating 2D stuff when I was about 12. I thought that I wanted to do 2D animating for a living, but when I was 13 I found a site (Gamedegree.com) and looked under Game Design (If you go to their website now, check under Game Art and Animation for the same thing that I was looking at), since I want to make video games, and it said there were courses for 3D stuff for 2 things, Maya and Max. I looked at them both and eventually got Maya (Since Max doesn‘t work on Macs).

Football, soccer, video games (Those aren‘t computers are they?), hanging out with my friends, reading, etc.

Your favorite type of music?
I usually only listen to classical and video game music. I hate heavy metal and black people music (Rap). I might listen to rock once in a while.

This is more fun than I thought! We need to put more questions up! :attn:

Perfecto 20-05-2007 06:39 PM

I had forgotten that the young can be so talented. I'm really glad you guys are starting out so early in life and really hope none of you give it up because you've really demonstrated your abilities on this site. I'm sure there will come times when you feel like you're not getting any better and times when you somewhat loose interest, yada, yada, yada. You're building a future here and so I'm sure that if you all stick with it, you're going to do really big things with 3d and I look forward to it. I wish you all the best of luck.

It's nice to know a little about everyone :)

Rhetoric Camel 21-05-2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Weyu
[B]Where In The World Are You?

-I am in Stockholm that is located in Sweden.

my favorite death metal band is from there i believe, Opeth

Quote:

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Oh man, I wanted to start a topic like this! :(

i was going to start it when i first signed up but wanted to wait a little bit to see if people were chatty enough from here

Quote:

Originally posted by Perfecto

It's nice to know a little about everyone :)
exactly, i like to know the real person behind the screen name, even if its just a little its enough

daffas 22-05-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

I live in Wisconsin.

Quote:

What do you do?
I am currently in a 2 year college. (Wishing that I could be learning 3d instead of the general subjects.)

Quote:

and
Quote:

I am 18, im not sure when i started maya, i found out about it when i was like 12 or something and never really did anything with it. I started out on Blender 3D. (Very confusing) im not to active in creating stuff in maya, probly because i have no one around me in person to help me get a better feel for it. Its hard for me to find inspiration to complete a project.

Quote:

Snowboarding, bowling, golf, fishing, drawing. And other stuff i cant think of.

Quote:

Led Zepplin, ACDC, Queen, Aerosmith, Beatles any of the classics. from that era.

29-05-2007 08:05 PM

IÕm guessing everyone else is too shy?

HereÕs another question:

WhatÕs your real name?
Steven Palmesano

Rhetoric Camel 29-05-2007 09:30 PM

yeah I was hoping more people would get involved in this

whats your real name?
Michael Rector (Rhetoric Camel), get it? hehe

xmikx 30-05-2007 02:28 PM

I'm living in Stuttgart, Germany. I'm Italian, as my familys origin is Italy :)

What do you do?
Right now, i'm working in a Distribution and sometimes i work in a Bar. In September i'm going back to school again, where i start to study Grafical Design.

I'm 24 now. I use Maya about 6Months. But i had 3d Max before. As i'm now completly on Macintosh (thank you god for the mac :P ) i switched to Maya.

A Friend of mine, gave me once a CD with some Applications. There was an Application, which i didn't knew. It was 3D Max 3.5. I installed it, and tried to get something to work , but it didn't work out. So i de-installed it (guess i was about 13-14 years back then)
In a conversation with another Friend he told me, that he needed some sort of CAD/3D Stuff made. He asked if i know anyone who could do this. So i said i can "maybe" so we sat together and worked it out. Since then i did sometimes 3D Stuff, just for myself. Now i switched to Maya, then i finaly got totaly addicted :)

I'm playing Drums and Guitar, i ride my Skateboard and just hang out with my Friends.

Uh. Well Big thing for me. Anytime, Anywhere! I love music.
Mostly i hear Metal, Hardcore and Alternative/Punk stuff.
Otherwise i hear Stuff like Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and Ben Harper.

Top 3 Bands:
As i Lay Dying
Johnny Cash
+44

Hello there :attn: :beer:

SilverBlood 30-05-2007 09:45 PM

I'm living in Den Dolder, it's a small place in the netherlands.

What do you do?
I work for an IT company that hires out people for IT supportdesks, so i sit at a desk and help people with IT-related problems. ( if anyone needs technical help for windows, let me know)

I'm 20 years old now, and i think i started using maya about half a year ago, the only problem is that i'm the only one in my neighbourhood that likes these kinds of things, so it's hard for me to start a project and finish it.

Well, that's kinda an easy question for me, it's games. i've played almost every game there is since i was about 10 years old, and tho i'm not huge on graphics, it's still something i enjoy.

I play a lot of video games, but besides that i play soccer 4 hours a week, do aikido around 3 hours a week, play music on my keyboard and i love to play poker with a couple of friends.

This is a harder question for me, since it really depends on my mood, i usually listen to punkrock, but when i want to hear some good music then i listen to the oldies like queen.

Top 3 Bands:
Linkin Park
Relient K ( unknown to most but really good music)
Queen

David Koetsier

papalatistudios 31-05-2007 10:51 AM

[B]Where In The World Are You?
Cincinnati, OH USA

What do you do?
Right now, I work at Cincinnati Children's Hospital in the Information Services Dept. Mainly I work on computers.

I'm 27 years old. I have been using Maya off and on for about 4 years. I also work with Zbrush.

Jurassic Park - I was studying to become a paleontologist, until I saw Jurassic Park, then I said whats the point. So I said instead of studying dinosaurs, I will make them. Then Toy Story sealed the deal, and I have loved Pixar ever since.

Video games, basketball, dancing, girls.

Everything except country. Right now Im listening to Linkin Park, Maroon 5, Angela Aki, and the soundtrack to Final Fantasy XII.