Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   March Challenge (Normal Entry) - Pure_Morning (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4387)

Alan 05-03-2003 10:12 PM

March Challenge (Normal Entry) - Pure_Morning

1 Attachment(s)
ok I'm game, dont know how much time i'm gonna have to do this but I have decided to only model a small part of the scene. So my idea is to have the leg and foot of a futuristic soldier in a destroyed landscape..... well that's the idea.

Here's my sketch

M 06-03-2003 12:36 AM

Hah, great idea! Just make sure it looks like its been torn off, great sketch.

BTW, that is soo warhammer 40k..:D, i know. Space marines rock on :D.

Alan 06-03-2003 01:04 AM

It is COMPLETELEY warhammer 40k! :D I used to love that game and i was looking at the gamesworkshop website today and just thought hell why not!

It's really doing my head in though! I cant get that "fluted" look that they have on their leg segments. I've tried nurbs and polys (but my poly extrude face seems to want to not keep faces together and so when i smooth/subdivide it, it goes all funny)

Alan 06-03-2003 01:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok mite finally be getting somewhere

I know the back of the foot is missing right now but it's coming dont worry, Just as soon as I get my head round modelling with nurbs!! :D

M 06-03-2003 01:41 AM

Wow, this is already sweet pure_morning :D. Yea, i used to love warhammer 40 k as well, as you can probably tell. I would love to see you finish the model at some time :). Looks really nice so far :D. As for the curve, i get a cylinder, then extrude out a bit and then scale in a bit, then extrude and then just scale in a bit, and then extrude again, and scale in a bit more, and then move it upwards and not down :). It looks nice though, seems like you got it. Ok, cya.

Alan 06-03-2003 11:58 AM

Yeah I was having a nitemare with polys and extruding "keep faces together" was turning it'self on and off as it saw fit, which was really bugging the living hell outta me! I've just realised that i've left the project at home so I will start again now I think and see if I can sort my damn polys out.

Alan 06-03-2003 12:13 PM

Ps which army did you collect? I had an Ultramarines army along with a small contingent of Eldar. I spent soooo much dman money on that stuff it's scary!!!

Alan 06-03-2003 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok here's the update, decided to give subdivs another chance at redemption and so far so good i think! The boot feels chunkier and more powerful so all i need to do is add the leg and then start on the detail.

Alan 06-03-2003 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok with a leg, I'm not sure about the leg at the moment. It's lofted nurbs at the moment cause I couldnt get it to work with a poly cylinder. Does this work? what do you guys think?

Ps. It's amazing what a bit of GI will do for a model ;)

Hidalgo 06-03-2003 04:04 PM

I love 40k too!

I've got a load of minis on a shelf behind me collecting dust!

Looks good! Keep going!

Alan 06-03-2003 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok I've added a wreath of honour type thing what do you guys think? I sticks out a bit from the surface but I may have to leave that and sort it later as the lattice is deforming the shape quite a bit

M 07-03-2003 12:19 AM

wow, looks really nice, how did you model that wreath so fast? BTW, i think it should be on the floor or something, seeing if its on his leg.. it is kidna unrealistic seeing that in a battle, it probably wouldnt be intact at the end :).. unless its all metal. Your decision.

Alan 07-03-2003 12:29 AM

yeah it's probably going to be physically attached to the armour I think cause that's the way I remember the models! But i take the point that it should be damaged in some way.

To make it I just got a poly cube and extruded it to the rough shape of a leaf. Then I put a lattice deformer on it to tweak it a bit. Then I converted to subdivs. I then drew a curve that roughly matched what I wanted in terms of direction and then duplicated it to form the bottom layer on one side. I then duplicated it again to make the top layer. Then I duplicated it to the other side and applied lattices to each side to curve it on to the armour a bit more. The jewel in the middle is just nurbs nothing special there (lofting etc.)

Thanks for the crits though, I'm gonna do some more c + c for everyone when I finish the leg texture tonite.

:D

Alan

Kevin 07-03-2003 08:47 AM

great start alan! a nice shape to the boot already!

Alan 10-03-2003 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok update: I've been playing with a rough texture, but my computer is doing my head in. I'll have to work on it when I get to uni tomorrow.

What i wouldnt do for a new computer..... :(