Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mac PLE crashes (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30093)

petersrin 07-06-2008 10:23 PM

Mac PLE crashes

While I'm modeling, maya will crash randomly. By crash, it isn't a freeze but just a total shutdown of the program. Is it because I only have 1 GB of ram, or is it a known issue? Thanks.

flatpacmac 08-06-2008 11:21 PM

what operations are you perfoming when it crashes?

I also have problem with programs crashing on my mac's but so far not with maya. but normally when I am using a program that is memory intensive.

I recently bought a powermac g4 dual processor and maxed out the memory, so far that seems to have solved my problems with the programs that I had problems with... But only time will tell.

Not suggesting getting a new computer is the answer but upping your memory could be a solution.

Have you experienced this with other programs?

I still haven't found the cause for my shutdowns... But I am still looking, not that I am an expert in any way, just don't like not knowing the answer.

Would you mind giving me more details so I can compare them with my own?

Maybe we'll find the answer
:):)

I hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

petersrin 09-06-2008 04:11 AM

Well, I haven't experienced such crashes elsewhere: I use Final Cut Pro and Soundtrack. Alas. I do, however, only have 1GB of RAM. I'm considering upgrading to 3GB. Another thing I remember is that PLE doesn't use the 2nd core to the intel mac, which would slow down operation a bit. Unfortunately I don't remember the events preceding a crash, only that they seem to occur during modeling specifically. As in, moving vertices in polys or curves, etc. That's all I've got.

09-06-2008 04:13 AM

What does the crash log say?

publicFunction 09-06-2008 12:32 PM

The MAC versions of Maya are renound for freezes and crashes, especially the 8 and 8.5 versions (PLE is base off of 8.5).

I think you will have to live with it I am afraid or post in the autodesk support forums. Maybe one of the mac guys can help you out <cough>windows roolz</cough>

gster123 09-06-2008 01:18 PM

It might be your Ram, if your modeling and you've not deleted the histroy this can build up and cause slowdowns and then crashes.

Mac's when pushed to the limits of their Ram have a tendancy to fall over.

Try deleting the history on your model and then see if it happens.

I think that multicore processing only came out with maya 2008.

Then again it might be what Chris said, the PLE is buggy on a Mac.

flatpacmac 09-06-2008 02:23 PM

That might explain why it's running ok on my dual G4...
Two CPU's better than one with multi-cores maybe?

I'm waiting for a response from Apple regarding my crashes, my other packages I run, maybe I'll try Autodesk.

Cheers

Chris

gster123 09-06-2008 02:44 PM

That goes into how they work, if a programme runs on only one core (although when rendering maya will use all aviilable cores and processors) if you have a dual core 2.2 gig processor and its only running on one core your only getting 2.2gig, if you have a single core 3.2 gig processor it will run faster, untill you need to use the power of both cores.

So if your G4 or whaever has a faster clock speed (relavant to the intels as they run different architecture that apple dropped) then you probably would see a difference.

Although, in general useage, modeling etc, I doubt you would see much of a difference at all, only when it comes to running simulations for particles and dynamics.

Whats the specs on your other PC?

flatpacmac 09-06-2008 03:33 PM

I've got three Macs detailed as follows:

one Intel iMac 2GHz with 2GB RAM
one PowerMac Dual 867Mhz G4 with 2 GB RAM
one PowerBook G4 1.5GHz with 1.25GB RAM

I use Maya on both the PowerMac and the iMac.
I also use Lightwave 9, Photoshop CS3, Shake and Final Cut Express.

Personally I prefer the PowerMac over the Intel iMac but hey each to their own.

I've mostly been getting crashes when running Photoshop, usually when crunching HDR images, but that was on the Intel powered iMac.
Incidently the PowerBook G4 12" actually handles them better (hasn't crashed) but with less RAM is not the best machine to use.
So far the dual G4 PowerMac is handling the files very while it's a smidging slower than the Intel iMac but I can live with that.

I am going to upgrade the CPU's with the Sonnet Encore Duet MDX G4 1.8GHz CPU module when I have enough pennies sorted.

Cheers

Chris

gster123 09-06-2008 07:10 PM

3 Mac's eh?? Mad, not a fan at all of em.

Have you got the update for photoshop for leopard, as apple kinda shot themselves in the foot with that one. So it may help out with that one.

flatpacmac 09-06-2008 08:55 PM

4 Macs if you include my wife's one!

At the moment I am running with Tiger, haven't upgraded to Leopard yet , still sitting on the fence at the mo.

I am looking in to building a Linux box for Maya but need to get some pennies together first.
I was looking at the MacPro, but don't like the graphic card options.
I'm still doing my research on the Linux front.

I decided to drop windows due to a catastrophic crash that resulted in the loss of about 1000 images (about 2 years work), which as a result of a virus, went over to Macs due to better virus protection.

So for me it's gonna be either Mac or Linux or both even.

But I think I will start a new thread on this one as it not really relevant to this thread.

Cheers

Chris

petersrin 09-06-2008 11:41 PM

I have a mac and a pc. I've been deciding which version of Maya 08 to get. If the mac 08 still runs buggy I'll get the windows, though my second monitor connection doesn't seem to run openGL. Is there a different renderer hypershade could use, like in Max, which I could set to software render? My openGL has always been buggy. Thanks.

The Architect 10-06-2008 06:07 AM

I find it unusual that the G4 is faster than the Intel Core. The G4 architecture is ancient compared to the Core architecture and I would expect that Intel would have reduced the latency of most instructions (eg. add, subtract, etc.) to one or two cycles. Since the Core is also clocked way higher, along with faster RAM and that, it should have a significant performance increase over the G4.

When comparing single core to dual core processors, keep in mind that dual core processors usually have newer architectures than single core processors and that alone should make up for the 1 or so GHz difference. For example, the Core 2 has dual FPUs, while the P4 doesn't , so it would completely own the P4 even at a lower speed (to a certain point, of course).

gster123 10-06-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by petersrin
I have a mac and a pc. I've been deciding which version of Maya 08 to get. If the mac 08 still runs buggy I'll get the windows, though my second monitor connection doesn't seem to run openGL. Is there a different renderer hypershade could use, like in Max, which I could set to software render? My openGL has always been buggy. Thanks.

I dont uncerstand what you mean with "Is there a different renderer hypershade could use, like in Max, which I could set to software render?"

flatpacmac 10-06-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Architect
I find it unusual that the G4 is faster than the Intel Core. The G4 architecture is ancient compared to the Core architecture and I would expect that Intel would have reduced the latency of most instructions (eg. add, subtract, etc.) to one or two cycles. Since the Core is also clocked way higher, along with faster RAM and that, it should have a significant performance increase over the G4.

When comparing single core to dual core processors, keep in mind that dual core processors usually have newer architectures than single core processors and that alone should make up for the 1 or so GHz difference. For example, the Core 2 has dual FPUs, while the P4 doesn't , so it would completely own the P4 even at a lower speed (to a certain point, of course).

Yeah sorry I should have mention that the Intel Mac is tied up supplying Live Video feeds to 22 Webcams on my wifes Stable yard!

Sorry sort of took that one for granted...
My humblest apologies I will make sure I give all the details next time
:D

So you are quite correct about the G4 being slower

Just wanted to clear that up, being a newbie member and this is the first forum I have actually subscribed to I will miss things out from time to time.

Cheers

Chris