Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Displacer Beast (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10052)

MrR 28-01-2004 12:45 AM

Displacer Beast

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Just want some opinions on this first real attempt at modelling. I've been a hobbyist for some time but never quite got it until I watched Mike's excellent poly head tut and Kurt's excellent dragon tut.

Key takeaway's were work slow, add detail gradually, split poly, append poly, merge vertices, extrude faces, use a good reference!

I can produce progress shots later if anyone is interested (but doing this while at my real job might be interesting).

Cheers

MrR

MrR 28-01-2004 12:48 AM

er ... sorry about the image size ... missed the thread at the top there. Will comply next time.

fredriksson 28-01-2004 01:11 AM

Looks pretty cool, very anatomically dubious, but cool :D

Pony 28-01-2004 01:54 AM

MrR you can always edit the post.

Anyway. looks very good. Nice concept. Inpressive work so far.

MrR 28-01-2004 02:16 AM

Edited with smaller version.

RickStefani 28-01-2004 03:25 AM

I really like the cat look.

MrR 28-01-2004 07:38 AM

Re: Displacer Beast

1 Attachment(s)
Adding mesh shots ...

MrR 28-01-2004 07:39 AM

Re: Re: Displacer Beast

1 Attachment(s)
Finished base mesh.

MrR 28-01-2004 07:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Displacer Beast

1 Attachment(s)
Finished smoothed mesh.

All constructive criticism appreciated!

Pony 28-01-2004 07:58 AM

Its hard to C+C because this is obviously out of your imagination I think so who could say if your true to your vision but you. I think its way cool. just from my opinion though.. maybe on the front legs, that part that would be a biceps looks a little to small. And the back legs.. the hips sticking up that far past the top of the back I find a bit hard to that really working anatomically. Maybe if they were not ridged so fare over the back. but thin you could just say its fantasy. true. but it would be nice to maybe add more realism . (shrugs) Rather impressive idea. I love the tentacle parts with claws like that. Leaves no doubt as to what there for.

leonardo_davi 28-01-2004 04:11 PM

he looks like one monsters of D&D monster manual its good :D

twisteddragon33 28-01-2004 04:16 PM

... i want to see it with wings:) Please:D

i really like it. i agree with pomy on the muscles. some muscles look huge, others puny. But i guess with 4- forelegs each could be smaller and collectivly powerful.

I love cats and catlike creatures... Really tempted to make an animal head now.. Kudos bud.

MrR 28-01-2004 07:30 PM

Thanks all. I might tweak it a little. As leonardo_davi guessed, my reference was the picture of a Displacer Beast in the 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual. I used the profile of a lioness to get the basic head shape.

My next challenge is texturing this thing! I've no idea where to start so any pointers to good tutorials (downloading Kurt's Cyclops tut now) would be appreciated.

As a useful tip ... the 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons Manuals are an excellent source of inspiration for monsters, weapons, armour - all things fantasy and middle ages. Not a bad game either ;)

Psuedo Realizm 30-01-2004 07:41 PM

probly already fixed it

this is by far one of my favorite works i've seen on this board great job, but one thing that i see you may want to fix is the squareness of his spine, unless this is what you were going for ...like pony said before though, this is obviously from your own imagination.. either way.. very nice job, i love it

MrR 31-01-2004 12:36 PM

I see what you're saying about the spine - didn't notice that before. Not sure if it's due to the 3 seconds of effort on a basic light setup or if the model is actually lacking. Will review when I start thinking about textures! Thanks for the tip (and the kudos).