Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   help w/ creating a soccer goal & net (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33429)

regularcat 15-12-2009 07:00 PM

help w/ creating a soccer goal & net

1 Attachment(s)
i play fifa for pc & have bought maya 3d app to try to edit the net physics in game.

the 3 files pertaining to the net physics are obj files.

which display nothing when imported into maya 3d.

by the way, the files were created in maya.

from my understanding an obj file is an exported file thats made in a 3d software & made from a compiler.

am i correct ?

& also if i can get a goal & net made, is it at all possible to get into the game, without have to reverse engineer the exe ?

any & all help would be appreciated.

gster123 15-12-2009 07:10 PM

Hi There,

obj files should import no problems, obj's are bread and butter files for 3D, make sure that the plug in is active, check in the preferences->plug in manager.

If you remove the original then import your net with the same file name it should get picked up.

Not too sure how it will affect the physics though as thats going to be coded into the game

regularcat 15-12-2009 08:42 PM

i see your a mod on the forum, so you must be good with maya 3d, any possibility you can dl the attachment in my first post and open it in maya and tell me what you see, or what you think it might be. Cause i cant figure out what im looking at. Supposedly its the net file for fifa.

When i open it in a hex editor it says its a maya file, now i can try hexin it but it would probably be easier if i could use maya to animate net movement.

What do you think?

In the hex editor it says under verticies is numbers like 136.6530151.

What do you think these are for ?

Thanks

gster123 15-12-2009 08:58 PM

Just checked the file, just got errors on all 3 either when using Zbrush or Maya

regularcat 15-12-2009 09:12 PM

is that strange ?

iimport them into maya 2010 & all i see is the grid as if im starting from new.

i open them in xsi mod tool & at first i got some hexagon shape, but when i rotated the camera it looked like a square w/ what appeared to be a gear of some sort coming out of its ass end.

any ideas what that is ? im brand new to this program.

i have used xsi, blender & rhinoceros, never maya.

like i said in the hex editor, all i see is numbers after the line
[VERTICIES].

so i dont know, all i know is the net physics suck.

even if i made a new net w/ animations who knows if the exe
would even read it.

do you know they exact definition of an object file ?

ive read quite a few different things.

NextDesign 18-12-2009 03:34 AM

The physics would be handled in game, as OBJs are strictly geometry data.

Just because it labels the extension as OBJ, doesn't mean that it necessarily is. Since this is from EA, it is probably a proprietary format, so unless you're up to programming your own importer and exporter, you won't be able to do much sadly.

Asking a modding board would be better for your question.