Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   NOOB and his 1st model ever! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9994)

raimZ 25-01-2004 04:39 PM

NOOB and his 1st model ever!

1 Attachment(s)
HELLO SIMPLYMAYA USERS!

i'm a noob to maya, and well anything to do with 3d modelling. wanted to learn using maya, as a hobby, after being inspired watching the lord of the rings ext. dvds.

this here is my first model. i wanted to make sumthing that would come out well and as realistic as i could so i wouldn't feel like i comletely sucked and should just give up. i plan on doing the whole body, but i wanted to finish the head first. hardest part of the body right?

so for now i just need feedback and some c&c's. i can see problems but i can't pinpoint it on my own. so thanx in advance!

- raimZ

raimZ 25-01-2004 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sub-D'ed

raimZ 25-01-2004 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
side view

OH YEAH, forgot to mention...i used reference obviously.

traveler 25-01-2004 04:48 PM

WHAT EVRE DUDE FIRST HEAD WHAHAHHAAH WHY LIE ABOUT IT DUDE?

raimZ 25-01-2004 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and last one.....front view.

i feel like there's sumthing wrong with the shape of the upper half of the head, but i can't figure out what!

mtmckinley 25-01-2004 05:02 PM

Nicely done. :)

Ribbit 25-01-2004 06:11 PM

mmmmmmmm.....

And you hope we believe that it's your first model ever?

raimZ 25-01-2004 06:53 PM

DUDES its true! it is my first, the only other model i did was a head-less, soon-to-be spiderman but i screwed up on that. i watched a video tutorial by Desktop Images w' John Grimes. i tried doin that in lightwave and i just didn't know how to use the program. then i tried using maya and attempted a nurbs head with the curves and surfaces as one mesh or what have u but i never even finished half cos the mouth was giving me huge probs. then i tried again with polys.

okay like i said, i used reference. i followed the guidelines of the most excellent joan of arc tutorial by Michel Roger, most of u guys should know bout it. even b4 i started i looked at tons and tons of pictures of the female head....and more, i also stared at pictures of models and the topology and all that. and finally i spent, i dunno. close to 20 hours on the head. as i mentioned b4 i wanted to do right, 1st time.

so more c&c's appreciated! thanx guys

- raimZ

twisteddragon33 25-01-2004 07:24 PM

i too find it very hard to bilieve its your first model seeing as how clean the geometry... i could see its your first model with maya and you had experience with 3d modeling... but nope....

even with a tutorial i find it highly unlikely you could make that clean a model. Im on my 20th something model and even with a good tutorial it wouldnt come out that precise... although the top of the head looks a little long it make the forehead a bit smaller.

mtmckinley 25-01-2004 07:44 PM

From his reply, I'm pretty sure he meant this is his first completed model, in a sense. As he said, he used references and studied the anatomy. He also mentioned this head was about 20 hours of work, which is quite a while and is obviously a ton of tweaking.

One thing that I remember I always did was look at other's wireframes, and I would have to believe he also did in order to recognize the clean lines and spent a long time to achieve it.

Just because one person might "get" it sooner than others doesn't mean he's cheating. It happens.

twisteddragon33 25-01-2004 07:50 PM

I understand it could happen... i just find the way in which he told us and made a point to let everyone know it was his first model it just seemd like he was purposely being decieving. It may be his first completed model, but he didnt say that untill later, he said it was his first model. And, even if you know how something "Should" look, if you are new to a program you wont know how to get the desired results because you dont know little tricks that you learn through practice and experience. I doubt that someone could do a model that clean by only studying other peoples wireframes, examining models and so on. Theres still the degree of how well you know the application that would make a big impact in how well the model turned out. with 20 hours of tweaking a model could come out like that, assuming he knew how everything worked. He mentioned he was new to 3d modeling, new to maya, and new to lightwave. So its unlikely skills learned from another 3d application helped in this case when hes unfamiliar with them. Its impracticle to assume its his first, even his first completed model. Its still overly average even fore that. He could get away with saying his first model on this site... but first model ever i honestly believe hes stretching the truth, a lot.

mtmckinley 25-01-2004 07:58 PM

:shrug:

It doesn't really matter. If he wants us to think this is his 1st model or his 50th, fine.

I'd hate for this guy's first thread to get off to a bad start, so if anyone else has any issues they need to discuss with anyone regarding this "controversy," do so in Private Messaging.

raimZ 25-01-2004 08:25 PM

okay i didn't think an incomplete body and a third of a head would count as a model. however b4 doin this model i'd probably spent only about another 20 hours on the 2 screw ups, i could post a pic if u guys like. except i don't know how to render out an image in lightwave.

also in doin this model there's still so much to maya, just the modelling component alone, that i don't know and understand. i used only tools like extrude edge, merge vertices, split poly, the 'del' key on my keyboard, and ur standard transformation tools. outside of that i'm almost clueless. alot of times the placement of vertices were not deliberate but just dumb luck and it came out right. i just thought about what i learned so far of topology and the actual shape of the head.

to be frank, i think i did a good job considering how much time i've spent actually modelling. i've studied more about modelling on the net then actually doin it. i read basic tuts, and even advanced tutorials that would be useless to me at this point. i even downloaded all the free vid tuts in simplymaya. i myself am quite surprised, and happy at how it turned out. but it doesn't mean i can model anything else. i haven't tried, i will. i'm starting school in a few weeks so hopefully i can put in some time.

oh and twisteddragon33:
"the way in which he told us and made a point to let everyone know it was his first model it just seemd like he was purposely being decieving". i've only been hobbying with 3d modelling for the past 2 weeks. i'm still a noob am i not? i've never touched or thought bout 3d modelling b4 that.
and how is the head too long? i want to fix it but i'm not sure what u meant. hope u can clarify. thanx

mtmckinley: thanx for the vote of confidence, but i don't think i "get" it just yet. that's why it took me so long, it's all tweak, tweak, and some more tweak.

- raimZ

doodle 25-01-2004 10:08 PM

Any chance you could post your ref images cos i'm still on the look out for some.

twisteddragon33 27-01-2004 04:35 PM

the portion from the top of the ears to the top of the head looks liek the distance is too long. Almost like a cone head, try sliding all the verts down a little and youll get a rounder look. But if you put hair on it wont be too noticable.