Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   SimplyMaya Tutorials (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Med Lab modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18570)

Jonathan Lyons 07-10-2005 04:48 AM

Med Lab modeling

I need to build a simple environment for some animation, so I thought this would be just the thing. But frankly, I'm disappointed. In some aspects of Maya, I am advanced, but I really struggle with modeling. This tutorial was listed as "intermediate", so I thought it would be appropriate.

I watch tutorials to learn tools and techniques. This video uses the same few simple tools over and over again. I don't think it required 7 parts to show it. I only learned a couple of things. As far as techniques go, I found it odd that most of the modeling was done in the perspective view with vetexes being eyeballed into place, based on one crude sketch. Just becuase it's a cartoony set, doesn't mean it should be sloppily done. I'm sure Kurt doesn't model a motorcycle this way.

I think you should make the first three parts free.

Kurt 07-10-2005 06:00 PM

Hi! I dont consider any of our tut's sloppily done we all put in a lot of time and consideration in what we produce so that we can try and cover everything that members are asking for.

As far as the length of the tut.... its very hard for us tut makers to find a common ground between making it too long or too short while trying to keep everyone happy. If we do every little detail some say its too long but if we make it too short we hear that it didn't show enough detail.

As far as work flow... when working in a studio you will often just get a quick sketch to go by and depending on the project you will have to eyeball it or sometimes you will have exact sizes and guide lines to follow. For this tut, because it is intended for getting new and intermediate members modeling a full scene I was not worried about size issues just how to produce it.

The tools I use are what I pretty much use for all my projects and some times it does get a bit repetative but thats modeling in a nut shell. You dont need to use every tool in the tool set to achive a look. Its far better to focus on effective work flow tools and techniques then use a tool just because it in the tool box

Working in prepective view is generally what I use 85 percent of the time I model anything.. I use my side, and front view more for organic forms where I do have side and front images and even then I use it, it's more for just getting the correct size and proportion. I would even use perspective most of the time when modeling a motorcycle. Only difference would be at the beginning I would use a side image plane to get the correct size.

A huge part of becoming a modeler is being able to fill in the gaps of a picture when details are missing or are not clear. This will come with time and practice.

Sorry you did not learn as much as your were expecting, but those are the techniques I would use for any similar project

Kurt

cung 23-10-2005 05:58 PM

Re: Med Lab modeling

Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan Lyons
I need to build a simple environment for some animation, so I thought this would be just the thing. But frankly, I'm disappointed. In some aspects of Maya, I am advanced, but I really struggle with modeling. This tutorial was listed as "intermediate", so I thought it would be appropriate.

I watch tutorials to learn tools and techniques. This video uses the same few simple tools over and over again. I don't think it required 7 parts to show it. I only learned a couple of things. As far as techniques go, I found it odd that most of the modeling was done in the perspective view with vetexes being eyeballed into place, based on one crude sketch. Just becuase it's a cartoony set, doesn't mean it should be sloppily done. I'm sure Kurt doesn't model a motorcycle this way.

I think you should make the first three parts free.

i'm guessing your from a technical background.. one that likes to get things as perfect as they possibly can?
if not then i apologise... but you remind me of several friends of mine that share similar opinions (and they are more technical with maya and xsi)
during my course at escape studios several instructors stated that modelling is a form of art, not everything has to be precise or exact...
I agree that modelling does have very limited tools in comparision to other fields of 3d... take visual effects for example... but theres a difference between knowing the tools and mastering the tools, and thats part of the key to modelling.

Also bear in mind that modelling based on sketch is completley different to modelling with a blueprint... with a sketch you only have your imagination and artistic style to create it (within the bounds of the sketch). where as a blueprint/photograph... well the works pretty much done for you...

If you want to create something more accurate or with attention to detail- nip over to gnomon and get their digital sets dvds.

Cant speak for everyone else but I purchased this tutorial not to learn how to build a set... but rather how to create one (in terms of the starting point for creating and expanding)... and have found it very useful, shame you didn't.

Jonathan Lyons 24-10-2005 06:26 PM

Hi, Jonathan here,

Let me introduce myself somewhat. I am an animator, and have been since 1989, (yes, traditional animation). So I am not really "technical". But I aspire to be. During my 6 years at a major visual effects studio working on feature films, I saw the work being done by my modeler friends, and perhaps that as skewed my idea of what modelers do. Extremely complex and challenging models painstakingly built, put in logical hierarchies, with parts named acording to convention so painters and TD's can work efficiently down the line. I aspire to do high quality work. I look to tutorials to teach me how to do the hard stuff. At the places I have worked, the med lab model would be low res, animatic quality, what we call "quick and dirty"

I realize there are many options for tutorials, and I chose not to recommend other places, but to give constructive criticism.

Perhaps SimplyMaya should position itself as a beginners site. There's nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't want to hinder their business. Otherwise, I suggest they raise the bar somewhat.

Kurt 24-10-2005 07:53 PM

Hi

I can make a 50 part tut to show a fully decked out project with every little detail of the modeling and texturing. We have tried that but if the tuts are too big we hear that its too long and that all you see is me doing the same techniques over and over.

As I said earlier, its very hard for us tut makers to find the balance to make everyone happy in what we are trying to teach. Modeling and texturing are an art form and you can't just watch 1 tut and become great at it. It takes months and years. If the lab is not modeled / textured to your standards spend extra time making it to the level you are happy with it. Remember it is a tutorial not a finished project. There is not much more I can show about how to go about the process... its all just time and practise.

As far as the Med lab you can't have it both ways. You said in your first post you dont like seeing the same tools used over and over again but then you just replied about wanting to see complex modeling done painstakingly showing everything. I can't show the painstaking part without showing the same things over and over again. Would anyone sit through 12 parts seeing me build 50 little blocks or map each face when you already said it shouldn't have taken even seven parts?

The tutorial shows the skills and tools needed to get your set decked out but its up to the individual person to use those skills and tools to make the project live up to the level of high studio work. You can name every object in the hypergraph for TD's and painters. We just can't do huge tuts to get it to a finished level like that without people saying that it's too long and repetitive.

SimplyMaya does put out a lot of tuts that cater to beginners since its most often them that want tutorials to get them familiar with Maya and the modelling/animation process. However, the skills we teach are still the same for more advanced users...they just spend more time developing and honing those skills. Some will then go on to 3D school as well.

While this tut has been well received by most viewers, I'm sorry it didn't live up to what you were expecting. In the future I will try to include other tools/techniques that I don't use that much myself but may be of interest to others.

Kurt

David 24-10-2005 09:25 PM

Sorry you didn't find what you where looking for try http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/ personally not my style of tutorial, but from the sound if it, it just may be yours.

Dave :)