Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   SoftQuadro4 has come! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2175)

Renderizer 18-11-2002 01:18 AM

SoftQuadro4 has come!

Hi folks!

Most of you have heard or even used Unwinder's SoftQuadro patch.

And a lot of people have heard all the rumours and opinions concerning SoftQuadro4: will not work, will never be released, can't be done...

Well, over at http://guru3d.com/rivatuner/ SoftQuadro4 is finally available for download...

And you know what - it works!

It's not just pretending that you have a Quadro installed - you now have access to all the pro features of the Quadro4 series.

If you're running a TI4200, you will now have a Quadro4 750 XGL.

If you own a TI4600, you will now have the raw power of a Quadro4 900 XGL at your command.

At http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...-2002-svp.html you will find a couple of highend GPUs thoroughly benchmarked, including the SoftQuadroed TI4600.

Happy boosting - have fun!

Mario

Roman 18-11-2002 02:37 AM

wow.. wicked info Renderizer.. :p

mrmacca 18-11-2002 03:25 AM

It sure is and the benchmarks look really impressive.

Renderizer 18-11-2002 04:50 AM

Yes, I think it was worth waiting for it instead of buying a real Quadro. :D

I'm sure nVidia will not like it... .:p

Renderizer

Roman 18-11-2002 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Renderizer
I'm sure nVidia will not like it... .:p
lol.. you can say that again man.. :D

Tolerate 18-11-2002 12:23 PM

if they don't like it, they should make the cards a lot more different instead of just restricting the features of the other cards

Renderizer 18-11-2002 01:46 PM

Well, they did!

As far as I know, hardware accelerated lines are not accessible with GF4 GPUs, SoftQuadro4 or not.

Renderizer

kbrown 18-11-2002 02:24 PM

Does this new softquadro4 work with a gf2 + newer detonators?

Renderizer 18-11-2002 02:38 PM

I believe for a GF2 you can use Rivatuners NVStrap tool, without the SQ4, yet I'm not sure.

NVStrap can be found in the Target adapter section under Low System Settings. You'll need to set the Use Pro features settings to 'Force On'.

By the way: I sometimes get Artefacts with the marquee select tool, but that's possibly up to my system, since no one else has made any complaints so far.

Renderizer

kal 18-11-2002 07:48 PM

renderizer: thanks for the link.. one question though - which detonators have you tried it with? I've tried the 30.82's and 40.72's, and each time have not been able to find the nv4_mini.sys. When unzipping the driver setup files it seems to have screwed up the file extensions - any idea if this is a known bug and a workaround exists?

**EDIT**
never mind.. was being a little stupid.
got it working fine with 30.82's, and it rocks :D
Paint effects and the 3dpaint tool are now about 4 times faster, and deformations in a viewport are now a bit faster too.
top stuff, and thank you nvidia for providing me with a 750XL for £120 ;)

Renderizer 18-11-2002 08:35 PM

Here's a slightly changed version of the instructions given at the RivaTuner download page:

• Unpack the SoftQuadro4 Script Pack into the RivaTuner folder. This will update all the necessary files and folders.

• Unpack the Detonator driver distributive package to a separate folder.

• If you are using Detonator 30.82 or higher under Windows 2000/XP, you will need to unpack the drivers manually.
Starting from this version, nVidia compresses every file from the driver package, making it impossible to manually install the drivers by using *.inf data.
To prepare the driver for the installation procedure, copy the UnpackDriver.bat file from the SoftQuadro4 Script Pack to the folder with the unpacked driver and start it.

If you prefer to perform this task by hand, just execute the following commands from a DOS shell window:

expand -r *.??_
ren *.cf *.cfg
ren *.cp *.cpl
ren *.dl *.dll
ren *.ex *.exe
ren *.hl *.hlp
ren *.sy *.sys
ren *.tv *.tvp

It's a good idea to open the batch file in a texteditor and append the 'pause' command to it. This prevents the shell window to close immediately after execution, giving you the opportunity to see if any errors have occured.

• Start the NVStrap antiprotection script from RivaTuner package (NVStrap antiprotection w9x.rts file for Windows 9x/ME or NVStrap antiprotection w2k.rts for Windows 2000/XP). You can do this by clicking the appropriate file icon in Windows Explorer (RivaTuner\PatchScripts\NVIDIA\NVStrap antiprotection) or by pressing Open patch script button under PowerUser tab of RivaTuner.

• After you’ve started the script, press the Continue button and browse to the location of the folder where you unpacked the driver. The application will automatically open and patch the needed file.

• Start SoftQuadro4 script intended for your OS (located at RivaTuner\ PatchScripts\NVIDIA\SoftQuadro4) and repeat the previous step.

• Install NVStrap driver from RivaTuner package and activate (force on) its PCI DeviceID reprogramming function.
To do this under Windows 9x you will need to include NVStrap.com DOS driver file (it is located in ToolsNVStrap subfolder of RivaTuner’s folder) in the autoexec.bat file like this:

C:RivaTunerToolsNVStrapNVStrap.com G+

• If you are using Windows 2000/XP you can install and configure NVStrap through the driver configuration panel of RivaTuner.

Please note that the FAQ file included in the RivaTuner documentation contains the most frequently asked questions about NVStrap, so if you cannot install the driver because of something, please make sure you’ve carefully read supplied documentation and FAQ. After reboot Windows will find nVidia Quadro-based display adapter and ask you to install its driver.

It is very important that starting from Detonator 30.82 any driver has to be installed manually by using the *.inf file. Starting Setup.exe installer will result in unpacking and installing original driver.

Happy patching !

Renderizer

Ooops... I was so busy rewriting the instructions that I mised your posting.

Have fun with your cheap Quadro! :banana:

BabyDuck 18-11-2002 08:47 PM

do you really need softquadro? after installing the nvstrap i could install the quadro 2 driver - do i need softquadro?? (gf2mx400 64 mb, 40.72 drivers) ???

Renderizer 18-11-2002 09:19 PM

Yeah, but that's for the pre-GF4 GPUs.

For GF4 you'll need SQ4...simple as it gets.

Renderizer

Nem 20-11-2002 12:03 AM

what effect does this have on games?

adldesigner 20-11-2002 12:49 AM

Actually I´m going to wait for the GeForce Fx card ... I´m up for that one. .. ohh and some RAm ... damn I´m low on Ram ..