Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Rendering Question (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13911)

OmeNu 11-10-2004 03:04 AM

Rendering Question

is it possible to Render a Movie with a Transparent Background. if so please state how to do this. as i'm trying to a tempt to create Web based Graphics and i really REALY dont want to go though every frame. removing the background in each Frame.

goosemage 11-10-2004 02:26 PM

If you have photoshop, as long as you have the alpha map intact, you can go to channels ctrl+click alpha channel, click the all channels,then click and drag the selected to a new image with nothing and save with photoshop to a .gif or something. I don't see why you would need your movie to blend in with the background of your website.

LauriePriest 11-10-2004 02:35 PM

save out the alpha with a format that surports it = rgba

Phopojijo 11-10-2004 07:22 PM

Okay, yes -- but you need to buy another piece of hardware (well... software... but the word hardware seemed to sound cooler)... Quicktime Pro

When you save out your frames, save them out in the Targa format, then string them together using Quicktime (I'm not sure if Maya for Mac has Quicktime export with alpha channel) saving the color depth as millions of colors+ -- the plus is the alpha channel.

Quicktime Millions of Colors+ can be opened by various programs like After Effects, etc. You'll need to know a bit of terminology they use though.

Remember to set as Targa frames with Alphachannel in the render globals!!! :b

OmeNu 11-10-2004 07:43 PM

ooooooooooooook :confused: well. the reason i need the background transparent is because im doing the site in layers. and i want the background picture to show as if the logo thats rotating is just in front if the background. and having the background transparent i can place the logo where ever i would like on the site. with out getting a bounding box or having to have multiple logo rotation pictures. which saves load time and space. ;) as for photoshop i do have that program version CS i belive. but i dont know it vary well. i whish there was a way to set background transparentcy in Maya as i know there's a flash Export as thats what i will be using to animate the logo. i will try your Quick time idea. hopfuly i works and i do it correctly. :bored:

NitroLiq 11-10-2004 08:54 PM

Just go into Render Globals and make sure the "alpha" check box is ticked for the object. Then, render out the image sequence as tiff or tga. The final step would be importing the sequence into a compositing application such as videomach, after, effects, shake, etc. where you would add all the various layers and output to a final movie format. You might want to check out our Render Globals video that goes into all the RG settings as well as rendering out the images and bringing them into the free video editing app, videomach. You could Also check out Rage's Intro to Compositing tutorial which is another good one. Both are in the video tutorial archives.

OmeNu 11-10-2004 10:17 PM

KOOOOOO! i figured it out thanks all of ya for your tips/Info on ways of doing it you've been a great help.. glad to be apart of this forum, with such Smart peeps. :cool: will post site here for you guy guys to see and understand what i was refering to just so you can see what i was working on... when im done that is. but dont expect any professonal work. OmeNu= Noob at this point. but im work'n on it.