Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   2 monitors for Modelling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34239)

Joey81 12-07-2010 10:58 AM

2 monitors for Modelling

Ciao!

I am using a 22" (wide 1080)Benq monitor & win7. What is the best for 2nd monitor ? I was thingking to sell this & buy two 19" but thats only good for modelling & sometimes I watch movies too... so i ll keep this for 1st. Is it better to have a good 19" than another wide for second?

Gen 12-07-2010 05:26 PM

Honestly, I think ditching that for dual 19' monitors would be a downgrade. If you have a dependable 22' with a decent response time and contrast ratio then you're in business. If for whatever reason you're not getting another with the same dimensions (space, money, whatever) then a 19' secondary would do fine.

stwert 12-07-2010 06:37 PM

I've got a 22" and a 19"... works great for me. I'd love a 24" (for 1080p) and a 19", but I don't see much point in trading up for 2 inches.

Joey81 12-07-2010 06:40 PM

I was not thinking on two 22" wide cause its pretty wide. its like 1,5 meter or something. i ve to turn around to close a window :D
I ve one of the cheapest 22" HD monitors but it works well>>
G2220HDA
Would you buy the same one again? Or the same size again?

Quote:

Originally posted by GecT
Honestly, I think ditching that for dual 19' monitors would be a downgrade. If you have a dependable 22' with a decent response time and contrast ratio then you're in business. If for whatever reason you're not getting another with the same dimensions (space, money, whatever) then a 19' secondary would do fine.

gster123 12-07-2010 07:23 PM

A single 26" is great.

bullet1968 12-07-2010 09:34 PM

saves on wearing bi-focals eh gster?

cheers bullet

P,S yes I am in envy gster...a crappy lappy at 17' is all I have

Rhetoric Camel 12-07-2010 11:36 PM

I have two dell monitors, ones a 24 and ones a 22... it's good to see how things look on different monitors, but to compare things side by side it's impossible... if you want to have the same image on both monitors to compare subtle changes in the picture that you've made you'll want two of the same exact monitors. For modeling I only really use one, have the other one open with the web browser or a tutorial, or keep my music over in the other monitor so I don't have to keep minimizing and maximizing.
I always say larger monitors are better for anything with graphics. If I could upgrade I'd get two newer 24" I'd like to get 32" but I'm too close to my monitors and it'd hurt my eyes.

Chirone 13-07-2010 12:40 AM

i would think you'd want your second monitor to be a duplicate of your first
i have two 22" LG monitors at home but they are different models and they dont display the same..

13-07-2010 01:53 AM

What graphics card are you on? If you have Eyefinity or whatever, you could grab another 22 and put in on top of the current one...

like so

http://www.wedgwood-group.com/ergomounts_EM503_big.jpg

But if you don't wanna pay like 200 bucks for a stand like that you could just wall mount the top one

:beer:

Joey81 13-07-2010 08:57 AM

I ve a Sapphire Radeon HD4890 Vapor-X 1GB PCIe, i dont think it has eyfinity..

Quote:

Originally posted by acid44
What graphics card are you on? If you have Eyefinity or whatever, you could grab another 22 and put in on top of the current one...

like so

http://www.wedgwood-group.com/ergomounts_EM503_big.jpg

But if you don't wanna pay like 200 bucks for a stand like that you could just wall mount the top one

:beer:

gster123 13-07-2010 10:36 AM

Strange how you get used to the screen size very quickly though!

I have a 17" @ 1920 x 1200 (same as the desktop) laptop too and I really like working on it.

I used to like using dual 19"s one for all the refs etc and the other for the scene.

Ac Chirone said, make sure that you get 2 that are the same as its a tad irritating if they are different.

stwert 13-07-2010 03:53 PM

I don't really see the need for two of the same, depending on what you use it for. If you are comparing subtle modifications to the same image, sure, but if you're just using the second one for email, tutorials, music, and things like Outliners, Hypergraphs, Attribute Editors (as I do generally), no point.

Joey81 13-07-2010 04:04 PM

I think 1monitor is only 4 modelling. You can put menus, a render screen, attr editor & some useful stuff to the 2ndary. I hate to use 1monitor for modelling & tutorial. 22wide is just enought for a small video window & maya. New & better videos come out day after day & i still watch it in a widow around 300*300 :P

Quote:

Originally posted by stwert
I don't really see the need for two of the same, depending on what you use it for. If you are comparing subtle modifications to the same image, sure, but if you're just using the second one for email, tutorials, music, and things like Outliners, Hypergraphs, Attribute Editors (as I do generally), no point.

gster123 13-07-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stwert
Generally you would want to have 2 the same, if your doing PS work then moving over to Maya on both its easier, the image is going to be the same to evaluate, saves messing.

two the same = better than two different

Gen 13-07-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joey81
I was not thinking on two 22" wide cause its pretty wide. its like 1,5 meter or something. i ve to turn around to close a window :D
I ve one of the cheapest 22" HD monitors but it works well>>
G2220HDA
Would you buy the same one again? Or the same size again?

Yep I would and I have :). Among other things, it's annoying to have one monitor higher than the other because of different stands plus it looks badass but that's just me.