Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Materials & Textures (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How to create atmosphere shader? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9616)

victstep 02-01-2004 01:59 PM

How to create atmosphere shader?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!

May anyone help me:

How to create photorealistic atmosphere shader for planet Earth.

Thanks.

Kurt 02-01-2004 05:15 PM

One way you can do it is make another sphere that is just a bit bigger than the oringinal and add a cloud texture it then play with the transparentsy and cloud shape.

I'm sure once Rage or mike sees this they will have other ways about doing it at well.

victstep 03-01-2004 01:53 AM

Thanks Kurt.
But nobody else don’t want help me with this actually stupid question...

NitroLiq 03-01-2004 04:55 AM

Actually, if you check the other post here, you'll see some others, myself included, that already helped you.

victstep 06-01-2004 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, thanks again...

SamplerInfo.facingratio -> ramp.vCoord
ramp.OutColor -> lambert.transparency

ramp:
Type: Vramp;
Interpolation: Linear
lambert:
Color: blue

BUT LOOK AT THIS:
what wrong??? (I mean lines, not a color or transparency)

victstep 06-01-2004 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am also try all ramp Interpolation's (exponential, smooth)
and also try to use ramp colors white and blue and lambert color black but...

what I do wrong???
Help me please!!!

This picture without atmosphere:

victstep 06-01-2004 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ha ha ha

Do you know what was that?
It was point ligh with fog!!!

Everything is OK, now just need to "play" with colors and other things.

Thanks.

rich 08-01-2004 03:53 PM

Dude! Download my Earth shader!!! It's already done for you. And it doesnt use 3 spheres but a bunch of maps hung together on a layered shader.... no messing around with geometry! :)

Click the link in my sig.

victstep 09-01-2004 10:38 PM

Thanks Huxley

but whats wrong with my scene (excluding atmosphere and clouds)?

dragonfx 12-01-2004 07:37 PM

Play with lights/ambient to make it look cool, as oposed to making it phisically acurate another problem is the specularity, you need to make a map: no specular on continents just a little bit on sea. also the atmosphere isnt specular turn to 0 all specular shading there
Also download a cool clouds map (for example from the bluemarble project)and add an extra sphere with the inverse of the color as the transparency and bump add another layer with procedurals if you wish.
Also the atmosphere is thicker near the ground... i havnt been able to make the damn volume shaders work properly but ragecgi maybe knows how to fake it in other way so now i think about it:
Rage how to fake the atmosphere going thicker towards the ground on the edges?

dragonfx 13-01-2004 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heh, why if i just turn on mental ray it works fine and if you render with mayas native it just wont display?
It would have saved me time back then when i was trying the earth scene(cmon, i dont think theres someone that hasnt tried it at least once)but why it wont work on scanline?

Heres a quick&dirty example of what i meant with the atmosphere going thiker near the ground(just a volume fog in a spherre)